LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help Yall...I'm about to quit.  (Read 1780 times)

Offline lilMsKiki

• LGM Member
  • Philippians 4:13

Help Yall...I'm about to quit.
« on: September 07, 2009, 09:09:11 PM »
I was hired on at this church almost 4 years ago.  I agreed to play twice a week (one weekly rehearsal and Sunday morning service). I joined 1 year later.   After many broken promises I have not received a raise, an appreciation program (which I was promised at least 2 annually).  The church has now established a total of 17 additional evening programs, in addition to visiting other churches as the invitations arrive.  One month ago, the pastor announced he was organizing a new youth choir without discussing it with me.  Each time I request a raise, I am told the church “doesn’t have the money”.   I’m feeling highly unappreciated and overworked in my attempt at giving more than taking.  I might not feel so bad if the pastor at least thanked me for my travels and dedication.  How should I approach the pastor?  I’m pretty bitter.  I don’t want to feel this way. I want to give God my best.  Help please.  Any suggestions?  I’m close to resigning.
Philippians 3:14 ~I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.~

churchyreal

Re: Help Yall...I'm about to quit.
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 09:48:41 PM »
I definitely understand how you feel in certain regards. I would talk to the Pastor are whoever you're suppose to talk to who oversees music ministry and you and talk to them about how you feel, in a Christ-like manner. Once you have voiced your concerns give them about a month or 2 to deal with your issue. If you don't see any progress then I would definitely think about resigning cause you don't want to be in an area where you feel underappreciated.

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 09:52:59 PM »
Then Go 'head and quit. ?/?

I say life is short, why spend your time somewhere you dont like?

I have other opinions regarding your feelings of unapreciation, but I'm not going there today.

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 09:53:43 PM »
First, pray about ur situation. Then, I would go to him and schedule a meeting between u to talk about how ur feeling. After that, follow the Lord about what decision to make.

Did u receive all these promises in writing? If not, then it's gonna be pretty hard for u to legally get what ur owed since there wasn't a written agreement.

However this situation turns out, make sure u learn from this. Get everything in writing, don't take anybody's word for it. When push comes to shove, they will back out and leave u in the dust.
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline lilMsKiki

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 11:15:31 PM »
I definitely understand how you feel in certain regards. I would talk to the Pastor are whoever you're suppose to talk to who oversees music ministry and you and talk to them about how you feel, in a Christ-like manner. Once you have voiced your concerns give them about a month or 2 to deal with your issue. If you don't see any progress then I would definitely think about resigning cause you don't want to be in an area where you feel underappreciated.
Thats very good advice Churchyreal.  I'm going to do just that.  Thank you.
Philippians 3:14 ~I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.~

Offline lilMsKiki

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 11:16:44 PM »
Then Go 'head and quit. ?/?

I say life is short, why spend your time somewhere you dont like?

I have other opinions regarding your feelings of unapreciation, but I'm not going there today.
  Thank you for reading.

Offline lilMsKiki

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2009, 11:24:09 PM »
First, pray about ur situation. Then, I would go to him and schedule a meeting between u to talk about how ur feeling. After that, follow the Lord about what decision to make.

Did u receive all these promises in writing? If not, then it's gonna be pretty hard for u to legally get what ur owed since there wasn't a written agreement.

However this situation turns out, make sure u learn from this. Get everything in writing, don't take anybody's word for it. When push comes to shove, they will back out and leave u in the dust.

Amen, you are sure right about this one T-Block!  I am going to have to go deep in prayer before I talk to him.  I don't want to say anything that may be considered offensive or selfish.  Ultimately I'm not looking for any reparations or back pay.  I simply want some changes to begin. Problem is I'm a old-fashioned country girl. I've generally been able to take people at their word.  Those that didn't follow through were cut off.  I had a better rapor with the funeral homes.  They ALWAYS follow through (no contract).  Lesson learned.  I'm going to definitely need some assistance in writing some sort of contractual agreement.  I wouldn't have ever believed this pastor wouldn't hold up his end of the agreement.  That is exactly why I'm so outdone. Thanks for the good advice and I will let you know how it turns out. 

T-block...you've been a blessing to me for many years now. Thanks for reading. :D God bless you.

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 11:47:44 AM »
Know how you feel....been there, done that, and have the T-Shirt.

As for the negotiations and written agreement, it would be good to have a friend or church member with you when you meet with the pastor, to offer moral support and be a witness to what was said...

Offline organman88

• LGM Member
    • Kue Musik Entertainment

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 02:42:18 AM »
yea im dealing with a similar issue and i think this is the best way!!!!!
keyz 4 life

Offline demusicman

• LGM Member
  • http://www.myspace.com/reverenceministry
    • http://www.myspace.com/demusicman

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2009, 06:40:13 AM »
I dealt with that issue a while ago. One thing I learned from jump street. If the Pastor and Minister of Music, Director, or musician are not on one accord things will arise. I know you've heard this time and time before that in this field you must continually be prayed up, but i must say it again. A few of the situations I encountered of this caliber were resolved without leaving. Pray that before you speak to the Pastor God gives you what to say and give the Pastor the ear to hear and the heart to receive. NEVER leave without talking to your Pastor. If there is no progress made after that...then there probably wont be.

I hope all things work out.
Daniel E. Smalls, Minister of Music & Worship Arts
Heaven Bound Ministries Worship Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up