LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trombone in church  (Read 2743 times)

Offline Travis T

• LGM Member

Trombone in church
« on: May 01, 2008, 01:30:43 PM »
            God Bless, this is my first time posting in this forum of the site. I play have playing the keyboard for about 4 years I have been progressing greatly over the last year. I have been playing the trombone for about 4 and 1/2 years. But ever since I started playing the keyboard I have really neglected the trombone, I have taken lessons for about three years of time, but I recently gained a  new interest In playing the trombone in church, so about 2 days ago I brought it I enjoyed playing it I was fun, but I could use some help, any tips suggestions, practice exercises, and any useful info would be very helpful. Thanks !             
HOLINESS IS RIGHT ! I Peter 1:16 "Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy."

Offline under13

• LGM Member

Re: Trombone in church
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 02:32:43 PM »
We had a few horn players at the church i play for. What I would suggest is that you listen to the horn parts on some cd's, and try to get the feel of improvising horn parts.

Offline Wolfram

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My dog Bear (125lbs of Luv)
    • Wolfram a/k/a Don Zlaty

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 04:57:33 PM »
I heard a Contemporary Christian group once that arranged their horns circa early "Chicago Transit Authority" sound.  It was unbelievable.  Trumpet, tenor sax and T-bone lead.  When you use a horn section in your worship service you have to make a choice.  Is it going to be orchestral or functional?  If it is orchestral, you will be playing a lot of long tones and big , majestic sounding passages.  If someone sees the musical 'light' and uses the horn functionally, however it takes on a whole new energy.  Moving the horns forward in the mix so that they become the secondary Praise Team add SOOOOO much energy to a service.  You have to plan for this though and you have to write out your charts and rehearse.  Bad section playing is easy....  Playing in a killer section takes work.  Push for perfection.

wolf

Offline Travis T

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 09:45:49 PM »
I brought my trombone to church last week during our convocation and I'm telling yall I had people telling me I had that thing talking, playing the trombonr in church is more enjoyable then I thought.
HOLINESS IS RIGHT ! I Peter 1:16 "Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy."

Offline Jmanley1116

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 04:00:00 PM »
I don't usually travel this forum, but I thought that I'd stop through...If you are looking for a good horn sound in church I suggest you find some people from the House of Prayer for all People.  Those churches usually keep a good horn section.  Some even have all horn bands.  Maybe there is one in your area and you can network with some of thier musicians.  There is this one dude from Philly named Jeff Bradshaw who came from there.  He hit with a few choirs and did work for alot of Philly Neo-Soul acts like Jill Scott and Musiq. 

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 04:03:29 PM »
I don't usually travel this forum, 

Niether does anybody else! :D

Offline Ladymusic88

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 07:08:32 PM »
we have got to do better...horn players!  Myself included!

Much Love,

Ladymusic88
Pages: [1]   Go Up