LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: New Bass: Brubaker Brute MJX-5  (Read 17191 times)

Offline Robear22

• LGM Member

New Bass: Brubaker Brute MJX-5
« on: March 04, 2009, 12:56:02 PM »
I just picked this up over the weekend from a TBer and played it that evening in a musical. This is a Brubaker Brute MJX-5. These basses just came out and are very good for the price. I really love the look. ;D

Offline dhagler

• LGM Member

Re: New Bass: Brubaker Brute MJX-5
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 01:30:57 PM »
Sweet!

Offline DWBass

• LGM Member
  • Make A Joyful Noise!

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 02:42:06 PM »
Nice. I am so tempted to get one but I'm just holding out for one of those can't pass up deals to swing by. I have $1k burning a hole in my pocket right now. I already have 3 basses. Do I really need another one? No but I'm holding out for a Sadowsky, Smith or Roscoe!

Congrats! Brad Johnson is really high on Brubaker basses and I like them too.
"Never Leave Home Without Your Groove On" :)

Offline momuzik

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 03:04:36 PM »
Nice looking bass. Don't think I seen a wood finish pick guard before.

Offline trsmooth

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 04:07:25 PM »
Niiice!!!!! : ) im tempted but i have to a car...cant spend anymore money on equipment....  : (  how does it sound though???

Offline BigFoot_BigThumb

• LGM Member
  • The Waves SSL 4000 plug-ins. The greatest EVER!!!

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 05:10:29 PM »
how does it sound though???

Yes, and how does the neck feel?  Is it wide or narrow?  And how solid is the low B?   

It is a very nice looking bass.  Plus it is an alternative to the Lakland 55-02 that I was checking out.  I really would like a MM/J setup.
When you've done your very best, do even better.

Offline Robear22

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 09:20:52 PM »
The one thing that I really like about this bass is that is really comfortable to play. The neck is wide but it is not thick. This is one of the best playing necks I have ever played. The string spacing is 19mm so there is no problem slapping on this bass. The low B is solid for a 34" scale. I had to get used to the lower tension on the bass due to my other basses being 35" but it is deep and forceful. The tone is modern with a lot of mid presence. It only has a 2 band eq so you can only adjust the mids from the amp. I have a 4 knob bart that I am thinking will fit nicely in this bass.

Offline mjl422

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 10:37:49 AM »
That is a sweet bass.  I just got the same configuration in the natural with wood pickup.

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 02:38:11 PM »
You are KILLING me with your basses!!!!

I need to make a trip to try that joint out!
Somebody put me in the key of E#

Offline BigFoot_BigThumb

• LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 03:40:58 PM »
I may be adding a Brubaker to the arsenal as well when my funds allow.  You can't beat that price and it's a great plug for the brand.  I will go for the natural with natural wood pickguard cover also.  I can help it, I just love natural wood grains.

Offline BigFoot_BigThumb

• LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2009, 03:41:42 PM »
Oh, and Robear's review was convincing enough as well.

Offline mjl422

• LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2009, 09:39:59 AM »
The one thing that I really like about this bass is that is really comfortable to play. The neck is wide but it is not thick. This is one of the best playing necks I have ever played. The string spacing is 19mm so there is no problem slapping on this bass. The low B is solid for a 34" scale. I had to get used to the lower tension on the bass due to my other basses being 35" but it is deep and forceful. The tone is modern with a lot of mid presence. It only has a 2 band eq so you can only adjust the mids from the amp. I have a 4 knob bart that I am thinking will fit nicely in this bass.

Robear22, what did you decide re: the Bart preamp?

Offline emrewooten

• LGM Member
    • www.myspace.com/emreturkmenstyle

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2009, 06:07:07 AM »
Hey man Great Bass good luck ..  ;)

www.myspace.com/emreturkmenstyle 

Offline Robear22

• LGM Member

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2009, 09:29:26 AM »
Robear22, what did you decide re: the Bart preamp?

I am going to install Bart pickups with an Aguilar preamp. I think that combo will add a lot of warmth that this bass lacks. This bass has a very aggressive tone.

Offline mjl422

• LGM Member

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2009, 03:01:04 PM »
I am going to install Bart pickups with an Aguilar preamp. I think that combo will add a lot of warmth that this bass lacks. This bass has a very aggressive tone.

Yeah, so far, I've added a EMG 3-band pre (with the existing pups).  Believe it or not, it made the bass even more aggressive (which is not necessarily a bad thing depending on what you are looking for).  But, the ability to dial in the mids helps a great deal. It can definately cut through in a playing situation.

The good thing is my other bass has a warm dark tone which is completely opposite the Brute.  I'm still not sure I would take the Brute out by itself yet.  I have to hear it in some other situations first.  However, I do love the bass.  It's one of the easiest/fastest necks I've evered played.

Offline jmain

• LGM Member
  • Gator Nation

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2009, 07:55:35 PM »
Really digging the look and the review, man.  I'm usually on the natural finish, but like the onyx a little more I think with that sweet pickguard...maybe. :-\

Keep posting about these.  I may have to get the funds replenished (after the Junk 5) and pick one up.
Eph 5:15-20

Offline bradleymoorer

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Bringing da bass in Jesus name!!!
    • http://www.myspace.com/minbrad

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2009, 10:19:51 AM »
That's is a sweet looking bass doc!
Bradley AKA Bass Monkey

Offline chrismc101

• LGM Member

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2009, 10:29:24 AM »
Robear22, to GOD be the GLORY, but are you married, have kids, a mortgage, car payments, etc, etc... How in the world do you get to buy all these basses, lol.. How many do you have now? WOW... I'm still on my 1st one since 04, lol....
CeeMc
"bassN4eva"

Offline Robear22

• LGM Member

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2009, 10:16:41 AM »
Robear22, to GOD be the GLORY, but are you married, have kids, a mortgage, car payments, etc, etc... How in the world do you get to buy all these basses, lol.. How many do you have now? WOW... I'm still on my 1st one since 04, lol....

Yes to all the above. I am married with 3 kids and have house, car, and other bills.  I use resources such as American Musical Supply, Zzounds, and Talkbass to acquire most of my gear. Those payment plans are really helpful for when a brother does not have all the coin to drop on a piece of gear. Also me and the little lady have an arrangement that allows me to use all the funds I generate through bass playing to be reinvested into what I can buy. I do bass lessons and any money that is generated from gigs goes back into the gear pot. The money from my 9 to 5 goes to pay bills.

Also the Brute is almost done. Just dealing with a phase issue with the pickups. I added two Bart pickups, an Aggie OBP-3 with switchable mids, and a switch for the MM pickup to make it parallel/singlecoil/series.

Offline Musicman_00

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • "Don't think! Feel!"-Bruce Lee

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2010, 12:00:11 AM »
Did Callowhill basses get rid of the website. Debating between it and a brubaker but I can only see Brubaker's online.
"Music is a language. The bigger your vocabulary, the more options you have to choose from."
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up