LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Bass: Brubaker Brute MJX-5  (Read 17190 times)

Offline malthumb

• LGM Member
  • Praise Is What I Do
    • Your Car Does What?!?!?

Re: New Bass: Brubaker Brute MJX-5
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2010, 06:16:56 AM »
Did Callowhill basses get rid of the website. Debating between it and a brubaker but I can only see Brubaker's online.

I think Tim is taking a break to get caught up on orders.  JeremyR will be able to tell us the most accurate truth.
FAITH unites people
RELIGION divides FAITH

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2010, 08:21:53 AM »
I think Tim is taking a break to get caught up on orders.  JeremyR will be able to tell us the most accurate truth.

Correct, Tim is currently taking a break to get caught up ( a wise and honorable decision) with orders and take a break from some serious OCD clients.

With that being said when Tim comes back (WHICH HE WILL) there most likely will be a line of budget Models to go along with his HandCrafted US models.  I'm not at liberty to discuss everything, but lets just say I'm super stoked about it and can't wait!!

Somebody put me in the key of E#

Offline superjaay

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • The Real Black Power Ranger

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2010, 07:01:19 AM »
Great looking bass
Rest?, Rest when you're dead!!! Right now there's work to be done.

Offline ssabass

• LGM Member

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2010, 11:00:48 AM »
Give us a sample of how it sounds. That is the final piece to the puzzel. It's a nice looking bass, you say that it has a good feel to it, but what does it sound like. 

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2010, 09:03:59 PM »
Correct, Tim is currently taking a break to get caught up ( a wise and honorable decision) with orders and take a break from some serious OCD clients.

With that being said when Tim comes back (WHICH HE WILL) there most likely will be a line of budget Models to go along with his HandCrafted US models.  I'm not at liberty to discuss everything, but lets just say I'm super stoked about it and can't wait!!

yeah, he also changed the website address, so the pics and specs of the basses he's done are still online. http://www.callowhillguitars.com/
For my God... let "Golden Axe" prevail.

Offline johnflindsey

• LGM Member
  • Our God is God!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2011, 07:59:39 AM »
Hello every one.  Very nice bass.  I brought one, a 4 string.  The only bad thing about these basses is the electronics.  The basses are made in China.  The electronics and picks suck, but the construction of the bass as far as the neck, body, the balance, and how the neck is bolt on into the body is the best.  I took my 4 string brute and gutted.  Replace all the electronics with EMG's.  I went with the EMG MMTW music man pickup and a standard EMG Jazz bass pickup.  It is a killer bass now.  I only paid $430.00 for the bass but spent another $220.00 for the electronics.  So for $650.00  is about right for a low end bass that you would buy at Guitar Center.

By the way where did you purchase your 5 string because i could not find one any where.

Offline mjl422

• LGM Member

« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2011, 10:41:00 AM »

Man, I hope there will be a 6-string in that line of budget Models.

I tried to get Brubaker to add a 6-string to the Brute model but, he said there wasn't a huge demand for them.

Hello every one.  Very nice bass.  I brought one, a 4 string.  The only bad thing about these basses is the electronics.  The basses are made in China.  The electronics and picks suck, but the construction of the bass as far as the neck, body, the balance, and how the neck is bolt on into the body is the best.  I took my 4 string brute and gutted.  Replace all the electronics with EMG's.  I went with the EMG MMTW music man pickup and a standard EMG Jazz bass pickup.  It is a killer bass now.  I only paid $430.00 for the bass but spent another $220.00 for the electronics.  So for $650.00  is about right for a low end bass that you would buy at Guitar Center.

By the way where did you purchase your 5 string because i could not find one any where.

I got my 5-string directly from Brubaker but, this was when they first came out.  He may be out of stock.  BTW I put Bart pups with an EMG pre in mine.  It is a killer bass.

Offline johnflindsey

• LGM Member

« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2011, 11:50:42 PM »
 I just brought the 4 string model.  The electronics suck.  I just installed the EMG MMW Twin pickup.  I took it to rehearsal and OMG! this little baby kicks butt.  for a 4 string it's my little baby.  I'm going to add the Jazz pickup later.

Offline johnflindsey

• LGM Member

« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2011, 08:40:44 AM »
Great I think i will get me another one and do the bart thing with it.  Check youtube a brother from Guana has about 5 Brubakers, but he has the top of the line, they start at about $3000.00 his name is Malcolm Hall. 
60 BRUBAKER BASS MALCOLM HALL DEMO
  The real Brubakers have a beautiful sound

Offline Basspicker26

• LGM Member

« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2011, 10:24:17 AM »
Nice!!!
twitter.com/jamaalandrews

Offline ssabass

• LGM Member

« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2011, 06:12:53 PM »
Here is a great demo of the Bruabaker Brute. Sound better than the more expensive Brubakers to me.
Kevin Walker Demos Brubaker Bass Brute Series

Offline BassbyGrace

• LGM Member
  • striving

« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2011, 09:36:25 PM »
Here is a great demo of the Bruabaker Brute. Sound better than the more expensive Brubakers to me. Kevin Walker Demos Brubaker Bass Brute Series

Man thats not a good measure of their sound, cause Kevin sounds that slamming on everything LOLOL!!  He LOVES Brubaker too.  He let me play one of his main axes, and I swear if I had the loot, I would have a Brubaker right now.  The Brutes still seem pretty nice though.
Praise Him!

Offline superjaay

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • The Real Black Power Ranger

« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2011, 10:50:23 PM »
Nice bass, no more gas for me, for right now.
Rest?, Rest when you're dead!!! Right now there's work to be done.

Offline ssabass

• LGM Member

« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2011, 09:05:09 AM »
I have never heard a Brubaker live in person, only on youtube & most of the videos I have seen of the more expensive Brubakers has been a crap shoot, some I like, some I don't. The video of Kevin Walker demoing the Brute has been my favorite. The bass tone in that video sounds more like a bass, more natural. In most videos that I have seen, the expensive Brubakers, sounds like a bad electric project. But, to there defense, that just could have been just bad recording or just bad EQing, on the players part. Though the Kevin Walker demo of the Brute is a studio recording,  & the more expensive Brubaker I've heard was mostly in a live on youtube, the more expensive Brubaker still should sound way better than what I have heard, so far. They even have a bass, that you can insert different preamps, was not real impressed with the tones but, loved the concept. 

Offline mjl422

• LGM Member

« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2011, 12:48:40 PM »
I have never heard a Brubaker live in person, only on youtube & most of the videos I have seen of the more expensive Brubakers has been a crap shoot, some I like, some I don't. The video of Kevin Walker demoing the Brute has been my favorite. The bass tone in that video sounds more like a bass, more natural. In most videos that I have seen, the expensive Brubakers, sounds like a bad electric project. But, to there defense, that just could have been just bad recording or just bad EQing, on the players part. Though the Kevin Walker demo of the Brute is a studio recording,  & the more expensive Brubaker I've heard was mostly in a live on youtube, the more expensive Brubaker still should sound way better than what I have heard, so far. They even have a bass, that you can insert different preamps, was not real impressed with the tones but, loved the concept. 

I think that has more to do with how it's eq'd than the bass itself.  I'm not a big fan of the way Malcolm eqs his basses but, the best (and thickest) sounding bass I've ever played was a high-end Brubaker.   

Offline BassbyGrace

• LGM Member
  • striving

« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2011, 01:14:57 PM »
I think that has more to do with how it's eq'd than the bass itself.  I'm not a big fan of the way Malcolm eqs his basses but, the best (and thickest) sounding bass I've ever played was a high-end Brubaker.

+1.  When I was in MD, I went to some weekly jam sessions that Kevin would frequent, and he began to mentor me a little bit.  He knows ALOT about pickups and electronics.  When he would bring his Brubakers (that dude has like 40 something basses) those sounded the most well rounded and full.  you could hear all the lows, highs, and mids so clear with plenty of bottom at the same time.  Thats what sold me.
Praise Him!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up