LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Beginning Drummer  (Read 28706 times)

Offline JLawrence

• LGM Member

Beginning Drummer
« on: March 18, 2009, 12:20:05 AM »
I have a young drummer at my church that needs some polishing. I'm not that familiar with the instrument myself, so I don't know what he needs to become a better player. Could someone give me some ideas on what he needs to work on to become a better drummer?
J.P. Lawrence

Offline baggettcindy

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Re: Beginning Drummer
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 01:06:42 AM »
Just my opinion, but...get a teacher/take lessons...ummm...if he has his own sticks, he can listen to music at home and practice his coordination (even if he doesn't have a set)....talk to other drummers.....go on YouTube....Go to the music store and purchase DVDs/book.

Offline JFunky

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Marvin McQuitty jr. (Thank You)

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 07:48:05 AM »
I have a young drummer at my church that needs some polishing. I'm not that familiar with the instrument myself, so I don't know what he needs to become a better player. Could someone give me some ideas on what he needs to work on to become a better drummer?

...he needs a good teacher or mentor around your area for starters.  A lot of younger guys by my way have also found Tommy Igoe's "Getting Started" and "Groove Essentials" DVD's quite helpful.  ;)
Psalms 144.1 - "Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle."

Offline j_kay

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 07:51:35 AM »
I have a young drummer at my church that needs some polishing.

What does he need to work on specifically?  I think that this information will lend to more targeted responses, rather than just general ones.

That's like saying, "My car [is] broke!  Fix it!"   :D
~ This thread is beyond hijacked - it's been kidnapped... ~

Offline JLawrence

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 10:59:22 PM »
Thank you all for your assistance.

j_kay I'm not a drummer by trade so I do know the specific terms to describe the help that he needs. It seems he needs to work on his timing, coordination (so he can manipulate the whole drum set), and being able to "groove" instead of just beat (if that makes any sense).
J.P. Lawrence

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member
  • Art by C1... Thanx Bruh!

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 05:28:01 PM »
Thank you all for your assistance.

j_kay I'm not a drummer by trade so I do know the specific terms to describe the help that he needs. It seems he needs to work on his timing, coordination (so he can manipulate the whole drum set), and being able to "groove" instead of just beat (if that makes any sense).

These highlighted details are what was missing in your initial post, JLawrence.

Timing: He/she needs to work with an instructor whom guides he/she in the use of a metronome. Teaching them the various notations/musical time values which make the the rhymic patterns of music. It is a must that he and those he plays with understand the quarter note and all its subdivisions (8th note, 16th note, 32nd notes etc) because once he learns to use the metronome and use it properly then everyone has to be able to communicate on the same level in order to nurture progress. Also the better his timing is as the drummer the more it wil shine light on the poor timing of other instrument players. resason being is that mmost others do not work with a metronome on a consistant basis nor do they play the rhythmic patterns in the correct timing/space value and placement because their instrument has sustain which disguise the sins of bad timing.

Coordination
: Coordination improves when (1) the kit is set up to he/her body proportions actuarately (2) All movements around the kit are done to a metronome and counted aloud until they become "natural" (3) proper body mechanics for moving around the kit are taught, practiced and applied consistantly and correctly. Some can learn this through instructional DVDs but having an qualified/knowledgable instructor accessing and correcting and guiding one is better and quicker. When it comes to playing in the church scene most folk tend to be resistant to formal instruction at first because most folk they know learn by watching others in the church/self-taught scene doing things wrong. Having a qualified instructor can lesson the "growing pains" of unlearning wrong/less effective information/movements etc.

Groove: Groove comes from feeling the "time"... knowing exactly where everything falls correctly and then weaving ones way through it to make the music feel good. Locking in with the bass player or other rhythm instruments and setting the foundation for the whole band is what defines the drum set players job in the band setting. Confidence in accuracy of rhythm, timing and coordination and listening set that tone. Groove in terms of time and feel come from a well developed internal sense of time playing (rhythm in time more specifically)and musicality which comes from how one listens/hears music, processes and responds to the music. This has to be cultivated. Can it be taught? YES IT CAN but not by someone whom doesn't understand it themselves. If one cannot listen to music and feel themselves in the music as if they are playing it they will always play from an external standpoint of selfishness and ego. Musicians have to be "in" the music with the intentions to "pull everyone else in when the listen" to feel what the musician and artist feel. The ultimate groove playing puts everyone in the same "time space" feeling the same tempo and attitude of the piece at the same time.
If a young player doesn't naturally display this then they have to be taught how to bring out and develop and nurture it. First knowing how to communicate what the band wants and needs is the is essential.

Practicing with a a metronome first and counting out loud, then progressing to a drum machine and later to a click track develops timing.

Working from INSTRUCTIONAL books, INSTRUCTIONAL DVDs on exercersise patterns and applying RUDIMENTS around the kit along to a metronome and counting out loud.

The Drum Set Musician by Rod Morganstein
Drum Set Control by Ron Spagnardi

Playing With Precision and Power featuring Chris Coleman
(http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0014FAIQQ?tag=drummerworld-20&camp=14573&creative=327641&linkCode=as1&creativeASIN=B0014FAIQQ&adid=1T8WBTPGFJVW7YS4CREP&)

Michael Packer: Bass Drum & Hi-Hat Technique
(http://www.amazon.com/Michael-Packer-Bass-Hi-Hat-Technique/dp/B000FKO3BM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1237846417&sr=1-3)

Todd Sucherman: Methods and Mechanics - For Useful Musical Drumming
(http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DPC4FA/ref=s9_cpic_c2_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=0TFQ79CQC2XH4ZB5R1HJ&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938811&pf_rd_i=507846)

Tommy Igoe Groove Essentials
(http://www.amazon.com/Tommy-Igoe-Groove-Essentials/dp/B00064YTKM/ref=pd_rhf_shvl_23)
NOTE: the book contains a CD with 80 mp3 files of full length songs with and without drums so you can play-a-long to the music used in the exercises on the DVD!!!
Groove Essentials - The Play-Along : A Complete Groove Encyclopedia for the 21st Century Drummer
(http://www.amazon.com/Groove-Essentials-Play-Along-Complete-Encyclopedia/dp/1423406788/ref=pd_cp_d_2?pf_rd_p=413864101&pf_rd_s=center-41&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00064YTKM&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0S2G3T423QKVH4527AEM)

Tommy Igoe Groove Essentials 2.0 DVD
(http://www.amazon.com/Tommy-Igoe-Groove-Essentials-2-0/dp/B001IDVVMO/ref=pd_rhf_shvl_4)
Tommy Igoe Groove Essentials 2.0 - The Play-Along Book/CD
(http://www.amazon.com/Tommy-Igoe-Groove-Essentials-2-0/dp/1423464451/ref=pd_sim_b_1)

David Garibaldi: Tower of Groove, Vol. 1 and 2
(http://www.amazon.com/David-Garibaldi-Tower-Groove-Vol/dp/B000GFRDPO/ref=pd_rhf_shvl_36)

Ray Luzier: Double Bass Drum Techniques, Hand & Foot Coordination, Drum Fills And Warm-Up Exercises DVD
(http://www.amazon.com/Ray-Luzier/dp/B0009298ZC/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1237846047&sr=8-1)

Billy Ward: Big Time
(http://www.amazon.com/Billy-Ward-Big-Time/dp/B0002IQM84/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1237846213&sr=1-2)

Power Drumming by Virgil Donati (VHS)
** yeah you will have to convert this to DVD or PSP, iPod etc BUT this is one of the best examples of drum set coordination exercises played to a metronome ever made

(http://www.amazon.com/Power-Drumming-Virgil-Donati/dp/6302802849/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1237846929&sr=1-2)

These resources will help if used consistantly. They will require learning basic reading skills but this only enhances the giftings of the user.

Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

Offline JLawrence

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 10:23:55 PM »
SabianKnight you have given me a wealth of information to pass onto to this young drummer. I may use some of this information for myself to learn more about the instrument to help in his development.

Thank you and God bless
J.P. Lawrence

Offline robin of drummin

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2009, 07:06:21 PM »
good suggestion, as a teacher or instructor i come across alot of material, in my recent years of experience i have learned my self that each person is different and learn on a diffent level, if the student can pic up very well by ear then yes id go to the pre recorded material such as jazz and rock when i mean rock i dont mean heavy metal like we listen to now i mean old school rock like we grew up listening to from 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, once he has mastered those time line of playing styles, he's is ready for the 70's,80's 90's. now that is the listening side of it now for the students that have to see it done there are lots of online sites i find very productive
www.Sabian.com
www.drumbum.com
www.Rockdrummingsystem.com
www.Howtoplaydrums.com
http://usa.mapex.com
www.pearldrum.com
www.tama.com
www.paiste.com
www.zildjian.com
www.regaltip.com
www.vicfirth.com
www.sonor.com
www.virtualdrumming.com
www.drummerworld.com
the sites i have posted not only are manufactors of drum production but also have great resources to young and inspiring drummers check em out and enjoy

Offline ashdrums

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2009, 07:20:17 AM »
hello. i just joined in when i stumbled on this post..i know of this site who's member also gave  this site. FDL will be a great help for your drummer. there are actually lessons there from beginners to advanced.you can open on www.freedrumlessons.com
 :)
a blessed day ahead. :D
I don't care what they think about me.. it's alright
I love you I will follow you
you are my life

Offline baggettcindy

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2011, 07:12:46 PM »
I think Freedrumlessons also posts on Youtube.  If this is in fact the site that I sometimes view on Youtube, it's an excellent source for info.

Offline Percussion Uno

• LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2011, 06:54:46 PM »
If you're in Raleigh or Cary I can help: http://www.percussionuno.com

markjames

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2011, 05:34:01 PM »
I have a good drummer  and somewhere i have found electronic drums for playing...it's sound was very high when drums beat by power. :P :P

Offline mav

• LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2011, 09:45:36 PM »
Like many drummer, we all started out in the church.  And we all made our mistakes. Lord knows I have.  I never took a lesson in my life; I was blessed with the gift of playing the drums. The one thing I would say to your drummer is to practice, practice, practice....listen to as much gospel music as he/she can. Listen and watch other drummers and how they play a song. I was blessed to have a church that stayed with me, but I improved month after month.  But I learned by watching other drummers, and believe me I still have a long way to go to reach my goal.  Even now, I listen to all types of music.  But the one thing that really helped me was I listened and played too a lot of rock music.  My theory was, if I can keep up with those drummers, gospel music would be that hard.

Mav

markperalta92

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2012, 11:21:33 AM »
There are so many tutorials here in net, my suggestions is to take video tutorials.  ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up