LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can you bypass the PIANO and just learn how to play ORGAN?  (Read 4994 times)

Offline PROSTR8

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Can you bypass the PIANO and just learn how to play ORGAN?
« on: December 07, 2004, 10:36:01 AM »
LOL.....I know this is a silly question.....but it never hurts to ask.  I ultimately want to learn to play the ORGAN.  But do you have to start out with the piano?

It would seem easier to do it that way because pianos and key boards are more accessible for private practice than organs.  I mean how many people have HAMMOND B-3 in their living rooms?

A good friend put it this way.  He said IT CAN BE DONE.  HOWEVER...it's like you learning how to drive for the first time and instead of practicing with a car you decide to learn how to drive using an 18 wheeler truck.....lol.

Your thoughts...? :lol:

Offline musmin7

• LGM Member
  • Minister Burton Pryor
    • Musmin7 youtube page

by pass the piano?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2004, 10:47:27 AM »
you most certainly can just go straight to the organ but it would benifit you to learn both instuments. two diff technics and what happens when you go to a church that doesn't have an organ, I made the mistake of only playing piano at first and learned nothing about organ until I was faced with a church that only had an organ and had to play not knowing even how to turn it  on Thank God someone had alredy done that :lol:
so don't sell yourself or god short learn all you can.
as your friend said you should learn to drive the car as well as the 18 wheeelllerrrrr named the beeeeeeee--- threeeeeeee :!:
be blessed
Walk with the King and be a Blessing
Musmin7

Offline BimmerFan99

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2004, 02:50:32 AM »
Do your best to learn both.  Maybe try at the same time.

I learned the piano first and didn't start organ until I was 15.  After spending so much time on the organ, I gain a greater appreciation for the piano when I play it.  And, people like to see musicians who can switch between the piano and organ freely.

Offline aljeres

• LGM Member
  • IT'S ALL THAT MATTERS......
    • www.algieres.com

Re: Can you bypass the PIANO and just learn how to play ORGA
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2004, 02:25:02 PM »
Quote from: PROSTR8
LOL.....I know this is a silly question.....but it never hurts to ask.  I ultimately want to learn to play the ORGAN.  But do you have to start out with the piano?

It would seem easier to do it that way because pianos and key boards are more accessible for private practice than organs.  I mean how many people have HAMMOND B-3 in their living rooms?

A good friend put it this way.  He said IT CAN BE DONE.  HOWEVER...it's like you learning how to drive for the first time and instead of practicing with a car you decide to learn how to drive using an 18 wheeler truck.....lol.

Your thoughts...? :lol:

MY BIGGEST REGRET IS NOT LEARNING THE PIANO EITHER FIRST, OR AT THE SAME TIME!

I CAN PLAY THE ORGAN, BUT I ONLY KNOW THE THEORY  TO PLAY THE PIANO, I WOULNDT CALL MYSELF A PIANIST......NOW I CAN PLAY ANY OF THE INSTUMENTS, FAR AS KEYBOARDM PIANO, OR ORGAN.......BUT I AM REFERING TO THE ACT OF! PHYSICALLY PLAYING!  SHOULD NEED DEXTERITY, ON THE PIANO, AND IT COMES FROM PRACTICING THOSE SCALES.....ON THOSE WEIGHTED KEYS.................BUT YOU WILL FLY ON THE HAMMOND AFTER SCALEING ON THOSE WEIGHTED KEYS!!!!!
gieres.....

god is greatly to be praised!!!!!!!!!

Offline COGICBoy22

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2005, 05:27:37 PM »
It is good to be skilled in both the organ and the piano. I started out as a pianist however when I learned how to play the organ I stopped playing the piano. I then became handicapped when I had to play piano. Now I am skilled in both instruments. Be versitile with yo talent.

COGICBoy[/b[/quote]

Offline arrellb

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2005, 10:50:22 AM »
I tell all of my students who are making this decision that the organ should be the first choice. After all, it is the king of instruments and it requires the most coordination when it come to developing a good technique for playing multiple keyboards and pedals simultaneously. :D

Offline Jniles_NCF

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2005, 10:57:35 AM »
i too want to learn how to play organ, i play keyboard and that too is nothign like the organ orthe piano i knwo a lot of people on here have some good organ tapes, for begginers i've only been playing keyboard for about a year but i have a good ear and my understanding of the theory is pretty decent, can anybody suggest some tapes that will help me start off with the organ?
God doesn't want your gifts. He wants your life...

Offline aljeres

• LGM Member
  • IT'S ALL THAT MATTERS......
    • www.algieres.com

ok
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2005, 11:07:35 AM »
Quote from: Jniles_NCF
i too want to learn how to play organ, i play keyboard and that too is nothign like the organ orthe piano i knwo a lot of people on here have some good organ tapes, for begginers i've only been playing keyboard for about a year but i have a good ear and my understanding of the theory is pretty decent, can anybody suggest some tapes that will help me start off with the organ?

i have some, and hammondman, b3, i think wannabe......chk links!!!!!
gieres.....

god is greatly to be praised!!!!!!!!!

JoyCH

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2005, 11:34:30 AM »
I play the piano because that's what I grew up on. But now I'm venturing to the organ. To start, I had Hammondman make me some tapes, which I really like. It gave me alot and I have the option of repeating his form and asking questions that I wanted answered on the tape. So, think about taking lessons and/or getting some personal videos made - it will definately help you.

Just my advice.

Joy

Offline Jmanley1116

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2005, 03:42:07 PM »
You should DEFINATELY learn to play piano first (or at the same time).  Piano helps with fingering and dexterity.  Those things are hard to learn on an organ because of the weighting on the keys.

Offline Holyghostboy

• LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2005, 06:14:30 PM »
I totally Agree That yo ushould learn the piano First Because of the Coordination With The DrawBars and the Weightness Of the Keys
I tried to Learn Organ First But I Couldnt Get The Hang of it So i truly reccommend that you learn Piano First :lol:

Offline musician_organist

• LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2005, 05:19:24 PM »
My opinion...LEARN PIANO FIRST OR AT THE SAME TIME!

Here's why:

Pianos have weighted keys, organs don't.  Organs can hold their sound forever and a day, pianos can't.  Therefore, organs can make you lazy (exactly what it did to me) and playing piano becomes hard and your arms will hurt.  Piano takes stregnth to play.  Me, since I SOMEWHAT bypassed piano, I like organ better and I have a keyboard at home since I don't have either an organ or piano.  I like organs better than pianos because you don't have to beat it to death and as I said, you can be lazy.  but if you don't ever plan on playing piano, you don't have to, but i suggest you do.
Pages: [1]   Go Up