LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bassist in a bad situation  (Read 2116 times)

Offline 4hisglory

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Learn Gospel Musiic

Bassist in a bad situation
« on: December 08, 2004, 04:38:13 PM »
Are the bassist left in a bad situation??  I ask that because I've seen alot of situation where the drummer is constally banging the cymbals, and the Keyboardist and organist are soloing at the same time.  :)
:)

Offline Myles

• LGM Member
    • http://

Nope
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2004, 02:04:59 AM »
I don't think this puts us in a bad situation at all.  Actually it might be a good learning opportunity.  As bassists, our instrument belongs to the rythym section despite its melodic potential.  Its our job to stay in the pocket and maintain/drive the groove (most of the time.)  Not really to show off our chops, ya know.  If the drummer is going crazy on the cymblas and the piano and organ are all over the place, there is no other way to play but in the pocket.  How you describe your situation, it sounds like there is absolutely no room for you to get loose.  I know I tend to overplay in more situations than I would like to admit but our keyboardist/organist and drummer are very disciplined and gifted and kinda turn it over to me if I get a little trigger happy.  But as soon as Im thru, I'm like "man, that was too much for this part," but our second drummer rides the cymbals a lot and I am pretty basic with my lines.  If you can't get loose, just stay in the pocket.  Deep in the pocket - like a couple notes per measure.  Let them do their thing if they have to.  Last night our choir director reminded us that our job is to play for God not for the audience and not to impress folx with our talents.  I know I appreciated the reminder.
Pages: [1]   Go Up