LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dan Needham....Advice on being a studio drummer...  (Read 2812 times)

Offline Natejam71

• LGM Member
  • Anointed Gospel Musician
    • Anointed Gospel Musician (AGM)

Dan Needham....Advice on being a studio drummer...
« on: March 27, 2009, 10:17:25 PM »
If your not familiar with him he did some studio work for Chris Tomlin, Amy Grant and recently one of Israel's songs, and many other artists.  Here is a video of him giving some excellent advice. It take a while for the video to load, but its worth the wait.  Here is the link...
http://www.artistshousemusic.org/videos/nashville+producer+and+session+drummer+dan+needham+on+studio+life

Enjoy and Stay Blessed, Nate J.

Offline BigFoot_BigThumb

• LGM Member
  • The Waves SSL 4000 plug-ins. The greatest EVER!!!

Re: Dan Needham....Advice on being a studio drummer...
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 01:32:27 AM »
I've met this cat.  He is super cool.  And one of the coldest drummers out there.  We have been on two of the same projects(Tommy Sims and Shannon Sanders).  I was so honored to meet him that night. 

Look up the original version of In My Mind by Shannon Sanders on YouTube.  I would post it here, but there are a couple of iffy words in it and I want to respect the board.  Heather Headley's version is actually a remake.  Dan played on the original.  I was supposed to have done it, but Shannon had car trouble the day of the session, then when he cut it, I had to work.  I aint mad about it because Dan put it down.  Please check it out.  When you hear it, you may trip because the drums were cut in the engineer's living room.  They came out amazing.
When you've done your very best, do even better.

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member
  • Art by C1... Thanx Bruh!

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 01:34:16 PM »
I went to the Chris Tomlin (Hello Love Tour)concert last night and Israel Houghton and New Breed was the opening act supporting their new CD "The Power of One". Dan Needham and Calvin Rogers are the drummers on Israel's new CD.

So take note folk's this guy is relative to what we consider our world.

Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

Offline j_kay

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 09:51:01 AM »
Isreal's liner notes: http://www.newbreedmusic.com/gift/IsraelPowerOfOnePDFbooklet.pdf

I'm going to cop this one!
~ This thread is beyond hijacked - it's been kidnapped... ~

Offline thescientist

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 01:13:08 PM »
Natejam71,

Many thanks for this post!  My pastor's Bible Study this week was titled "Achieving Excellence God's Way" and many of the points made by Dan were touched on in the study. This guy is definitely destined for greatness!

BigFoot_BigThumb,

WOW! Recorded in the engineer's living room!  Yea the drums came out well! Sorry to hear that the recording session did not work out for you. 

j_kay,

Thanks for the linear notes.

Offline JFunky

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Marvin McQuitty jr. (Thank You)

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 08:33:02 PM »
...great post/great find!  The truth shall set a lot of us free!
Psalms 144.1 - "Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle."

Offline j_kay

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 08:52:21 PM »
Isreal's liner notes: http://www.newbreedmusic.com/gift/IsraelPowerOfOnePDFbooklet.pdf

I'm going to cop this one!

I got it today. I'll give my thoughts on it later.

Offline Natejam71

• LGM Member
  • Anointed Gospel Musician
    • Anointed Gospel Musician (AGM)

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 10:07:10 PM »
Natejam71,

Many thanks for this post!  My pastor's Bible Study this week was titled "Achieving Excellence God's Way" and many of the points made by Dan were touched on in the study. This guy is definitely destined for greatness!

BigFoot_BigThumb,

WOW! Recorded in the engineer's living room!  Yea the drums came out well! Sorry to hear that the recording session did not work out for you. 

j_kay,

Thanks for the linear notes.

Not a problem.  Dan is a great drummer...I hope everyone listens to a few of the Israel's tracks and hear how Dan and Calvin did their thing.  I am definitely feeling this album.  Its a little different, but a definite must have.  Stay Blessed, Nate J.

Offline j_kay

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2009, 10:35:32 AM »
I hope everyone listens to a few of the Israel's tracks and hear how Dan and Calvin did their thing.  I am definitely feeling this album.  Its a little different, but a definite must have.

A good read: http://www.gospelflava.com/articles/israelhoughtoninterview2009.html

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member
  • Art by C1... Thanx Bruh!

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2009, 09:21:43 PM »
The Power of One CD is a true statement to Israel's monicer, Kingdom Sound. This is his most creative effort on record in my opinion.

Moving Forward, which he wrote with Ricardo Sanchez, is the next great anthem. the title is also indicative of the entire CD effort which speaks to the current generation of youth and youthful minded with true maturity. This is not a hook based CD but has great song writing.

Dan Needham layed down some nice grooves.

Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

Offline min_amw

• LGM Member
    • Divine Soldiers

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2009, 05:45:07 AM »
Lots of valuable info in this one! I'll have to revisit this one!
Love God. Live Long.
Pages: [1]   Go Up