LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: KIRK FRANKLIN AND THE FAMILY.....  (Read 11820 times)

Offline cakinbro

• LGM Member

KIRK FRANKLIN AND THE FAMILY.....
« on: December 09, 2004, 08:26:59 PM »
Hi Saints. I was listening to some of my classic albums and I came across Kirk Franklin and the Family "Why We Sing" album and their Christmas Album. This might just be me, but I liked Kirk Franklin and the Family when they were together. I was thinking one day maybe they'll get back together to do a reunion album or tour. How many of you users would go buy that album?

cakinbro
Learn every chord and scale with both hands....it will pay off in the long run!!!

Offline funkyfingaz

• LGM Member
  • Jay-R of Kingdom Revolution
    • My Myspace page

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2004, 11:02:28 PM »
Hey Bro, I still listen to those CD's like they came out yesterday. Kirk Is my man and even though he flopped up with the family and GP stealing their money, I still feel the anointing in everything he does. His lyrics is awesome and I definitely know he's a chosen vessel of God. If they were to ever get together(which I doubt) I would be the 54th person on line.  8)
There's a Kingdom Revolution...Hear to Worship!

Offline PROSTR8

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Re: KIRK FRANKLIN AND THE FAMILY.....
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2004, 11:24:35 AM »
Quote from: cakinbro
Hi Saints. I was listening to some of my classic albums and I came across Kirk Franklin and the Family "Why We Sing" album and their Christmas Album. This might just be me, but I liked Kirk Franklin and the Family when they were together. I was thinking one day maybe they'll get back together to do a reunion album or tour. How many of you users would go buy that album?

cakinbro

As great as that would sound, I doubt that will ever happen.  There was a bad break up there, including lawsuits over money.....same with GOD'S PORPERTY.  Maybe time will heal all wounds.

jarrell_d

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2004, 12:01:07 AM »
yea, and I was just thinkin about Kirk 'and the Fam' recently.  I would deffinitely buy the album.

Something i also noticed is that, Kirk's musicians are some of the best in Gospel music if u ask me, but yet when we list some of our favorite musicians (in other topics), i don't think i've ever heard anyone mention Kirk's.

Does anyone know the name of some of Kirk's musicians?  Drummer's and Organists?  I have none of the covers for his cd's, and actualy never looked at them before (specificly on Kirk's 'Nu Nation Project ' and 'Rebirth')?

Offline SisterT

• Senior Moderator
  • LGM Member
  • New Look, Still Divalicious!
    • Earnest and Roline Ministries

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2004, 07:38:45 AM »
Quote from: jarrell_d
Does anyone know the name of some of Kirk's musicians?  Drummer's and Organists?  I have none of the covers for his cd's, and actualy never looked at them before (specificly on Kirk's 'Nu Nation Project ' and 'Rebirth')?

I haven't looked at the cover's yet, but I know the keyboard musician on "rebirth" is the Late Michael Robinson, formerly Paul Morton & the Greater ST. STephen's Co-Minister of Music.

I buy anything that Kirk Franklin does. The brother is talented, gifted, and anointed!

Offline Eggs

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2004, 08:30:18 AM »
I second that motion!

Offline dkmusic22

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2004, 08:46:57 AM »
He is one of the greats.

Offline funkyfingaz

• LGM Member
    • My Myspace page

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2004, 08:57:52 PM »
Yea one of the musicians on rebirth is Shaun Williams...He played keys on Kim Burrel's Live in COncert CD

Offline songtress

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2004, 01:03:58 PM »
Yeah kirk's musicians are tight. The names are on the cd cover.
Bobby Sparks , shaun martin, todd parsnow, keith taylor and terry baker(drums).

Whats that about kirk stealing GP and the family's money? I never heard anything about that.

Offline funkyfingaz

• LGM Member
    • My Myspace page

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2004, 12:25:40 PM »
Quote from: funkyfingaz
Yea one of the musicians on rebirth is Shaun Williams...He played keys on Kim Burrel's Live in COncert CD

My bad Guys....Shaun Martin is his name. And da takin money incident? Its history, old news. He never paid them..part reason why da family broke up...But u aint hear dat from me tho.  :roll:

Offline Eggs

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2004, 03:19:28 PM »
On that note,

Anybody know what happened to Sounds Of Blackness, the original that is?

God bless,
Eggs

Offline LorenzoS

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2004, 04:00:41 PM »
Whats that about kirk stealing GP and the family's money? I never heard anything about that

yeah what was up with that....this is the second time i heard about that....i dismissed it the first time cuz i didnt think that someone in the gospel music industry would go there.........for the reason that it puts a bad name on the ministry.....and then the world starts to look at christian gospel artist in a different light....
can someone enlighten me on....Kirk stealin money from his groups
Lorenzo
We can go from Glory to Goofy in a matter of seconds, by not heeding HIS voice. M.G. Blankenship

Offline songtress

• LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2004, 08:09:25 AM »
Quote from: LorenzoS
Whats that about kirk stealing GP and the family's money? I never heard anything about that

yeah what was up with that....this is the second time i heard about that....i dismissed it the first time cuz i didnt think that someone in the gospel music industry would go there.........for the reason that it puts a bad name on the ministry.....and then the world starts to look at christian gospel artist in a different light....
can someone enlighten me on....Kirk stealin money from his groups
Lorenzo

I did some research. Apparently, there were 2 lawsuits filed against Kirk Franklin and gospocentric records. In 1998, GP founder filed a 75 million lawsuit against kirk, gospocentric records claiming that kirk induced her to sign a onesided contract with B-Rite music in which she signed away GP's royalties to BRite music. She also claimed that she was being defamed as the founder of the group. So, it appears as though God's Property wasnt kirk's group after all. In 2000, The Family sued kirk franklin, manager and Gospocentric claiming that they went unpaid for their work on Nu nation project. They also sued kirk for Trade Mark infringement, claiming that he used the name "The Family" without permission. The article state that Kirk  franklin was his own entity and The family was their own entity. So apparently they had 2 separate recording contracts. Both lawsuits were eventually settled out of court.

This is what I think. I would have hope that christians would work out differences amicably. However,if the allegations are true I hope the parties were able to reach a satisfactory resolution. I dont see why they couldnt have a reunion because  Tamela Mann and John Gray(participated in the suit) sung on the rebirth of kirk Franklin along with sme ex-GP members. They must have reached some understanding with Kirk to participate on his album after such mess.

A friend of mine in Dallas(kirk's hometown) told me that people have different opinions on the issue. Kirk has many people against him and many people for him. Apparently, some say its ignorance. This person also said that there is on going discussion that  Kirk is selfish because he does most of the creative work(writing, producing etc) on the album and not give the artist a chance to write, produce etc. There's also some discussion that he doesn't help individuals to get record contracts and he is in a position to do so. Anyway, there is some hope that he may since he is now on his own label. My friend told me that Kirk has started his own label and advertising agency(joint venture). and will be releasing a new project in early 2005.

Offline Eggs

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2004, 09:11:25 AM »
Songtress,

If you don't mind, may I ask where you found that article?

Thanks,
Eggs

Offline BBoy

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Let's Praise Jesus Together!

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2004, 11:57:32 AM »
You know, sometimes we really don't know all there is to know about an issue. That's one thing we have to keep in mind . . . the media has a job to do, and that is to get people to read what they wrote.

Secondly, (and this is important) I think that many times artists think that all there is to recording is singing well. Give us a "sanger" in front of the mike, a "beast" on the keys and some "krunk back-up sangers," and we think we will walk out with a huge check. WRONG. GOD's people perish and are but to confusion for LACK OF KNOWLEDGE. We don't want to train in the industry. I just read something by an artist, I think Donald Lawrence, who talked about how blessed he was to have an opprtunity to learn about the industry. I was SO PLEASED! Sometimes, we are our own worst enemy. I'm not saying that this is the case here, but it is something we need to keep in mind.

If you are going to record in the industry, INTERN, LEARN, TRAIN in the industry so no one can make you sign deals that you will regret later.  

Be Blessed   :lol:

BBoy  8)
Joshua 1: 7, 8

Offline songtress

• LGM Member

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2004, 12:23:03 PM »
Bboy, I understand what you are saying but I dont think the media made up the story. I for one dont believe everything I read either. I found different articles about the lawsuits by searching my college database. There were also quotes from the lawyers representing both parties. I only posted a synopsis of the issue because Lorenzo asked. These lawsuits were very public because you are dealing with a well known individual(kirk Franklin) even though he is not the only person that was sued. Of course we dont know all there is to an issue and we may never know.

I believe you are right in saying that one should learn about the industry. In fact, that was my friend's opinion of the issue and she has heard alot more than we do since she is living in dallas.

Offline Eggs

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2004, 12:37:11 PM »
Good point Bboy.

And other posters are making good points about how we conduct ourselves as Christians.  We have to be very careful.

Just this morning, I looked back and realized that there were many days where I had spent hours on my board practicing, and I hadn't spent any time studying the Word on those particular days!

The Lord convicted me... we need to remember to put God first in all we do.  Even as called musicians, we can't put the piano ahead of our prayer and worship, and quality time with God.

And so it is with the music... and so it is with the industry.... or anything else for that matter... cause God doesn't like that.

In proper conduct, He is loved and acknowledged first, above father, mother, music or anything else.

Bless the name of the Lord.

Eggs

Offline LorenzoS

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2004, 03:35:51 PM »
Very well said BBoy......Learning is the only way we Grow!!
We can go from Glory to Goofy in a matter of seconds, by not heeding HIS voice. M.G. Blankenship

Offline BBoy

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Let's Praise Jesus Together!

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2004, 04:20:11 PM »
I did not mean any offense, Sis Songtress. I too had heard that there were some dealings with Minister Franklin a while back. My point was just that we need to learn as much about the industry as we can, because when things get complicated and people start talking millions of dollars, any one of us can make a mistep or a mistake and then all of our private business blunders are out for eveyone to see.

For instance, who really knows how much money producers, recording engineers, agents, commercial artists, etc actually take? I know I don't. And we know the old saying . . . you never know how many friends and family you have until you get some money. I think sometimes people think that singing the song will get you to the bank, but it isn't that simple. And for us, it isn't about money anyhow . . . it's about glorifying Jesus.

Did anyone in this situation make that mistake . . . I mean, the mistake of not knowing exactly what they were getting into? Possibly so, possibly not . . . but if that is what happened, I think it could have happened to any of us. That was my point.

No offense, I hope?  :D

Be Blessed . . .   :lol:

BBoy  8)
Joshua 1: 7, 8

Offline songtress

• LGM Member

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2004, 07:12:45 PM »
No problem Bboy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up