LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: GGGLLLOOOORRRRRYYYY!!!!!!!! (SHARAY REED CONTENT!!!)  (Read 8569 times)

Offline twest45

• LGM Member

Re: GGGLLLOOOORRRRRYYYY!!!!!!!! (SHARAY REED CONTENT!!!)
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2009, 09:13:41 PM »
After watching this terrific video and playing along to learn that lick at 2:11, I realize he tunes a whole step down.  I tune a half step down so my lowest note is Bb.  His lowest not is A. 
GO HARD!

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2009, 11:09:04 PM »
After watching this terrific video and playing along to learn that lick at 2:11, I realize he tunes a whole step down.  I tune a half step down so my lowest note is Bb.  His lowest not is A. 

play along? and your fingers didnt catch fire? lol. well i cant even keep up with the simplest things he's doing. im gonna stop because i feel like i just started playing 2 hours ago. I just picked up the "Go back 5 spaces" card!
For my God... let "Golden Axe" prevail.

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2009, 12:05:25 AM »
is this how u guys get so much better? by transcribing things like this?

well i got the first 17 seconds ok 4 minutes and 50 seconds left. lol.

Offline Bullitt

• LGM Member

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2009, 12:42:00 PM »

lol, if it was that easy to blaze a fretboard like Sharay without putting in time and hard work (and muuuuuuuch prayer) then none of us would ever post here.  We'd be too busy out playing major gigs lol

-J

Offline bassthumpa

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • My blog

« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2009, 05:36:17 PM »
That harmonic riff around 2:26 was so subtle yet soooo tasty.  Dude is just riddiggilous.  I need to practice!

Offline mjl422

• LGM Member

« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2009, 05:46:07 PM »

Not that I'm any good but, if something is too hard for me to learn, I usually copy the audio and run it through Transcribe (to slow it down).

Offline twest45

• LGM Member

« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2009, 08:38:51 PM »
I usually record it to my computer and slow it down in Audicity without changing the pitch and loop it over and over and over.....  Or you can also slow it down in Widows media player on Vista.  Once you listen to it 100 times you figure out what he's doing.  That's how I was taught to learn.  Listen to it and break the run down into parts and learn those parts SLOWLY then once you get comfortable speed it up. 
lol, if it was that easy to blaze a fretboard like Sharay without putting in time and hard work (and muuuuuuuch prayer) then none of us would ever post here.  We'd be too busy out playing major gigs lol

-J

I have to disagree with this.  One of my friends can play Sharay out his socks but he choose to just play for fun and not make a career out of it.  I know personally for a fact he turned down a job in Detroit making $1200 a Sunday because he didn't want it to become looked at as a job.  Just like it's a lot of Micheal Jordans out there that never got their shot.  Go to the park and shoot ball.  It's some guys out there who can play but they never had a good head on their shoulder or never had the chances MJ had.
GO HARD!

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2009, 08:28:36 AM »
I know personally for a fact he turned down a job in Detroit making $1200 a Sunday because he didn't want it to become looked at as a job. 

Dude just let his blessing slide past him.
Somebody put me in the key of E#

Offline DWBass

• LGM Member
  • Make A Joyful Noise!

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2009, 08:31:01 AM »
$1200 a Sunday?! Is anyone really making that kind of change?
"Never Leave Home Without Your Groove On" :)

Offline rEaLiTy|cHecK

• LGM Member
  • Berklee College of Music
    • Facebook

« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2009, 08:52:16 AM »
im fairly sure his bass is tuned standard (beadg). the intro where he's doing those harmonics is over an open E. not to nitpick or anything lol, just pointing it out

Offline bassthumpa

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • My blog

« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2009, 09:12:21 AM »

Not necessarily... but that's a different topic.

Offline twest45

• LGM Member

« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2009, 09:33:38 AM »
im fairly sure his bass is tuned standard (beadg). the intro where he's doing those harmonics is over an open E. not to nitpick or anything lol, just pointing it out

I guess you might be right if you going by the harmonics.  I was trying to look at his hand.  Since I tune to flats, that might be why my harmonics sound a half step down when I was trying to do what he did.

Maybe but he and the majority of his family lives here in MS.  So he would have had to more over a 1000 miles away.  Also he plays at his mother's church.  Actually all the brothers play there so it's more of a I guess family thing.  Sometimes money isn't everything.  That's what my Pastor told me when I told him I might venture out to play at another church making twice what I make now.  I decided not to be a month later, he took a little pay cut in order for the church to raise my pay.  I've never once asked my church to pay me.  Now if someone calls me to ask me to play, I charge.  If they say never mind, it's cool because I got a amp at the house I can play on all night if I want to and won't have to move any equipment. 

$1200 a Sunday?! Is anyone really making that kind of change?

Yes sir!  You must don't know the salary of some of these musicians at these large churchs?  They get paid good.  I'm not talking bout mega churches either.  I heard, now don't hold me to it, I head that Bishop Paul Morton's bass player gets like in the $30-40 thousand a year.  But the thing is he's under contract with the church so therefore he can't play for anybody else but them.
GO HARD!

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2009, 10:17:54 AM »
dude, you read my mind word for word. ive been thought-jacked.

Offline DWBass

• LGM Member
  • Make A Joyful Noise!

« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2009, 10:19:28 AM »
Yes sir!  You must don't know the salary of some of these musicians at these large churchs?  They get paid good.  I'm not talking bout mega churches either.  I heard, now don't hold me to it, I head that Bishop Paul Morton's bass player gets like in the $30-40 thousand a year.  But the thing is he's under contract with the church so therefore he can't play for anybody else but them.
You're right, I really don't know! I come from a really small traditional Methodist church that only has a pianist/organist (my mother) and a 5 person choir!! My mother does get paid but she does other duties as well for the church but I know it's not a lot.
"Never Leave Home Without Your Groove On" :)

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2009, 10:23:29 AM »

true, however $1200 a week in Detroit is some MAJOR bread seeing how you can get a NICE house for 100K. pretty much new construction

Everyone has a different calling, but had it been me  (after some serious praying and hoping that God said yes) I would've  taken that $62400 annual pay and found a normal full time Job and enjoyed the doors that had been opened for me.

My wife would love to not have to work.

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2009, 10:24:07 AM »
I heard, now don't hold me to it, I head that Bishop Paul Morton's bass player gets like in the $30-40 thousand a year.  But the thing is he's under contract with the church so therefore he can't play for anybody else but them.
so if he in need of extra money (because $40K isnt a whole heap of money), he has to get a regular job, but nothing that high paying because his time is obligated to Paul Morton, so he basically in the same boat as most of us, just reverse, if you really think about it. So many of us are just as blessed, so think about that if ur ever feeling a bit discouraged (i know i get that way from time to time).

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2009, 10:25:55 AM »
(i know i get that way from time to time).

not to side track, but what exactly is discouraging?

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2009, 10:46:01 AM »
not to side track, but what exactly is discouraging?

because everybody doesnt make big dollars playing and people will try to discourage you from playing where your playing because you're not. or try to suggest that the price justifies their calling but not yours. trust me, whether you've experienced it or not, it happens all the time. as if the Lord is blessing/using someone more because of that, when it could be that God sees that u dont need it because he's already blessed you elsewhere and wants you to be in the places he needs you.

i really feel that someone here (whether we know them or not) is facing that right now. im sure a lot of us have at one point or another.

Offline ddwilkins

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Arsenal!!!!
    • D'Wayne's Spot

« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2009, 10:47:49 AM »
true, however $1200 a week in Detroit is some MAJOR bread seeing how you can get a NICE house for 100K. pretty much new construction

Everyone has a different calling, but had it been me  (after some serious praying and hoping that God said yes) I would've  taken that $62400 annual pay and found a normal full time Job and enjoyed the doors that had been opened for me.

My wife would love to not have to work.

I second that motion. My "normal full time job" would be study work. That's where bread is made as well.
Keep God first and he'll do the rest!!!

Offline twest45

• LGM Member

« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2009, 12:38:16 PM »
I like playing bass for fun.  I don't know but sometimes I believe that if I HAD to play for my family to eat it wouldn't be as fun anymore.  Maybe it's just me.  I mean I'm not a big fan of always traveling and leaving your family for months on the time.  Some people love it but I don't think I would.  Going somewhere every now and again wouldn't bother me but being gone all the time would bother me because I'm a family guy and I love eating Sunday dinner with my family down my Grandmother's house every Sunday!! LOL!! 
GO HARD!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up