LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ::: Kickport - review and analysis (geek alert) :::  (Read 5078 times)

Offline j_kay

• LGM Member

~ This thread is beyond hijacked - it's been kidnapped... ~

Offline drummin4jc

• LGM Member

Re: ::: Kickport - review and analysis (geek alert) :::
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 11:44:50 AM »
First time i read something so long. Has anybody purchased the KickPort?

Offline j_kay

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 12:43:03 PM »

Offline j_kay

• LGM Member

Offline BEATBOXERZ

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 02:24:21 PM »
Interesting review! I've been enjoying my kickport with my head combo. good post...

Offline xcalybur32

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 08:39:34 PM »
The KickPort is the ISH!!!! I use it with a GMAD and a EMAD Reso and it's just like thunder shut up in my bones. lol Seriously well worth the money. Also great customer service too. Jesse is quick to shout and shout back atcha.  BeatBoxer put me on a real product so **Shouts to the Boxer!!***. Also you'll notice that the kick skins will respond differently with it on. PM if you need more info but I'm pretty sure da boxer already got to you. Ha!

Offline min_amw

• LGM Member
    • Divine Soldiers

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 07:16:25 PM »
I'm still experimenting with mine. The biggest thing for me is how to tune the resonant head for the "best" results live or recording. My kick drum (Mapex Saturn 18x22) already has a wide tuning range but I'm trying to fully capture the effects of the Kickport. I can't really weigh in on this one yet. I'll yell back later.
Love God. Live Long.

Offline xcalybur32

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 08:59:21 PM »
I'm still experimenting with mine. The biggest thing for me is how to tune the resonant head for the "best" results live or recording. My kick drum (Mapex Saturn 18x22) already has a wide tuning range but I'm trying to fully capture the effects of the Kickport. I can't really weigh in on this one yet. I'll yell back later.

I tuned my kick low, just beyond the wrinkles, I put a small pillow like the eq pad on the inside. Also I found that the bass needs to breathe, like if you have a sound shield directly in front of kick, It will kill the effects of KickPort.

Offline drumzalicious

• LGM Member
    • Calvin Fenner Website

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2009, 05:06:46 PM »
We just got one of these at the school and i must say its a great invention i might have to get one myself

Offline drumzalicious

• LGM Member
    • Calvin Fenner Website

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2009, 12:04:22 AM »
We just got one of these at the school and i must say its a great invention i might have to get one myself

EDIT

upon further review i mis informed you guys. i see it as a great invention for micing and having to constantly mic a drum can sometime wear down the port hole so thats why i like it, sonically i cant speak for

Offline BEATBOXERZ

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2009, 06:47:33 PM »
I tuned my kick low, just beyond the wrinkles, I put a small pillow like the eq pad on the inside. Also I found that the bass needs to breathe, like if you have a sound shield directly in front of kick, It will kill the effects of KickPort.

I have my bass tune the same way as you X, but I don't use a pillow. I use a old school Remo muffle ringer on the batter side and nothing on the reso side.  You're right about the shield. The shield blocks the projection of the bass drum frequency. And as we all know, low frequencies carry and the shield blocks the ability for the lows to carry through the air fully. My kick was sounding and feeling so good last night when I played it. I also changed my beater from the Axis harder rubber hammer to the Iron Cobra hard felt. The feel and the attack is much more softer, but still punchy and boomy. I'm glad you and min amw picked up one. Jesse sent me a message when he shipped them to you guys. Good investment fam. ;)!

Offline min_amw

• LGM Member
    • Divine Soldiers

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2009, 09:34:25 PM »

I have my bass tune the same way as you X, but I don't use a pillow. I use a old school Remo muffle ringer on the batter side and nothing on the reso side.  You're right about the shield. The shield blocks the projection of the bass drum frequency. And as we all know, low frequencies carry and the shield blocks the ability for the lows to carry through the air fully. My kick was sounding and feeling so good last night when I played it. I also changed my beater from the Axis harder rubber hammer to the Iron Cobra hard felt. The feel and the attack is much more softer, but still punchy and boomy. I'm glad you and min amw picked up one. Jesse sent me a message when he shipped them to you guys. Good investment fam. ;)!

Thanks for putting me on that. Today I took the small bit of muffling out of the bass drum and I noticed a big difference. I have a litter bit of kickback in the action of the pedal, but I can fix that. So far, it's good. :)
Love God. Live Long.

Offline BEATBOXERZ

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2009, 11:38:51 PM »
Thanks for putting me on that. Today I took the small bit of muffling out of the bass drum and I noticed a big difference. I have a litter bit of kickback in the action of the pedal, but I can fix that. So far, it's good. :)

I'm a big advocate of wide open drums; no over dampening. Now, I will use moon gel ( when I'm playing r&b or pop) on my snares and a little something in my bass drum, but less is more. Good wood will speak for itself. I come from the jazz family, where drums were tuned wide open, so my ears are use to the pure tones of the wood. Keep open your drums open and don't muffle your the batter heads ...
Pages: [1]   Go Up