LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: For my cats trying to get to the next level  (Read 2770 times)

Offline juSe

• LGM Member
  • Call me juSe Wayne

For my cats trying to get to the next level
« on: May 01, 2009, 06:15:51 PM »
OK folks,

For starters, I'd like to let everyone know that I am back on land.  Have been back from the ship for just over a month now.  I am getting settled back into the KC scene pretty well.  Things look pretty promising for your boy.   ;D

But thats not the reason I wrote this thread.  I was reading the newest issue of MD with Mick Fleetwood on the cover today in the pit of a show that I'm doing called "Into the Woods" (google it) and ran across something that I am definitely interested in.  Its a new book called Rudimental Arithmetic.  I am absolutely intrigued by the concept of the book. 

Below is a link to the page of the publisher and what they think about the book.  MD's write up is a little more juicy in that it actually sounded like the guy worked out of the book and then wrote what he felt about it.

http://www.mostlymarimba.com/bin/music.php?pid=748

Lets start really taking the steps that are necessary to get to the next level.

You Are Your Only Limitation!!

Offline thescientist

• LGM Member

Re: For my cats trying to get to the next level
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 06:50:16 PM »
Good to have you back on land and posting man!  How did you come across the "In the Woods" gig? Thanks for excercise book to check out.

Offline Da_Drumma

• LGM Member
    • Da' Drumma on Myspace

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 07:13:27 PM »
OK folks,

For starters, I'd like to let everyone know that I am back on land.  Have been back from the ship for just over a month now.  I am getting settled back into the KC scene pretty well.  Things look pretty promising for your boy.   ;D

But thats not the reason I wrote this thread.  I was reading the newest issue of MD with Mick Fleetwood on the cover today in the pit of a show that I'm doing called "Into the Woods" (google it) and ran across something that I am definitely interested in.  Its a new book called Rudimental Arithmetic.  I am absolutely intrigued by the concept of the book. 

Below is a link to the page of the publisher and what they think about the book.  MD's write up is a little more juicy in that it actually sounded like the guy worked out of the book and then wrote what he felt about it.

Good looking out fam!!

Offline j_kay

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 07:26:40 PM »
Yeah, man...
~ This thread is beyond hijacked - it's been kidnapped... ~

Offline juSe

• LGM Member
  • Call me juSe Wayne

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009, 12:58:03 AM »
Good to have you back on land and posting man!  How did you come across the "In the Woods" gig? Thanks for excercise book to check out.

Thanks, bro!  I'm sure happy to be on solid ground. 

I landed THIS theater gig by luck.  I was playing an Easter service at a Presbeterian church with the French Horn player that is on the gig.  He asked me if I did theater and read music, to which I answered yes to both, and gave the MD of the musical my number.  Come to find out, its the same cat that I'd worked with on a previous show.  Its a pretty cool show. 

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member
  • Art by C1... Thanx Bruh!

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2009, 02:50:00 PM »
This book sounds like a couple of my long lost postings that were not well received, LOL.

On a positive note it sounds like this book is a combination of Gary Chaffee and Joe Morello (ie :
Gary Chaffe books/VHS - Sticking Patterns, Linear Time Playing, Time Functioning Patterns
Joe Morello - master Studies I $ II as well
Rudimental Grooves for Drum Set by Rick Considine (
a Berklee Press book) and maybe
Polyrhythms for the Drumset by Peter Magadini )

This book may be to check out. I however think that maybe this one would be more to the point with a few more drumset references and it's only $24:
http://www.vicfirth.com/education/drumset/stanoch.html

http://www.rhythmelodic.com/store.html
Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

Offline fretai03

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Fatso
    • My Youth

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2009, 04:11:44 PM »
I vote this thread be added to the "Informative Drumming Threads".

Top notch, quality info right here. _b

Offline thescientist

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2009, 07:02:51 PM »
Thanks, bro!  I'm sure happy to be on solid ground. 

I landed THIS theater gig by luck.  I was playing an Easter service at a Presbeterian church with the French Horn player that is on the gig.  He asked me if I did theater and read music, to which I answered yes to both, and gave the MD of the musical my number.  Come to find out, its the same cat that I'd worked with on a previous show.  Its a pretty cool show. 

Cool man!  Sounds like you are looking forward to playing the gig.  Let us know how it goes.

This book sounds like a couple of my long lost postings that were not well received, LOL.

On a positive note it sounds like this book is a combination of Gary Chaffee and Joe Morello (ie :
Gary Chaffe books/VHS - Sticking Patterns, Linear Time Playing, Time Functioning Patterns
Joe Morello - master Studies I $ II as well
Rudimental Grooves for Drum Set by Rick Considine (
a Berklee Press book) and maybe
Polyrhythms for the Drumset by Peter Magadini )

This book may be to check out. I however think that maybe this one would be more to the point with a few more drumset references and it's only $24:
http://www.vicfirth.com/education/drumset/stanoch.html

http://www.rhythmelodic.com/store.html

Man Sabe, another book that I need to go out and get.  Thanks and I second that this thred should be added to the "Informative Drumming Threds"

Offline min_amw

• LGM Member
    • Divine Soldiers

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2009, 07:16:11 PM »
OK folks,

For starters, I'd like to let everyone know that I am back on land.  Have been back from the ship for just over a month now.  I am getting settled back into the KC scene pretty well.  Things look pretty promising for your boy.   ;D

All that since we last talked? Killin'!
Love God. Live Long.

Offline j_kay

• LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2009, 07:02:26 AM »
Have you ordered the book yet, juSe?

Offline juSe

• LGM Member
  • Call me juSe Wayne

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2009, 02:47:24 PM »
Have you ordered the book yet, juSe?

Low funds have kept me from getting it just yet.  But its definitely one of the first books that I am going to grab when my pockets allow me to.

Offline j_kay

• LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2009, 09:31:59 PM »
yeahman...  Cool.  I'm thinking about it, too...

Offline JFunky

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Marvin McQuitty jr. (Thank You)

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2009, 02:36:08 PM »
...juSe, that's a great find right there.  I see your thinking process is on another level.  Someone told me that we'll need to begin by renewing of our minds.  ;) 
Psalms 144.1 - "Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle."

Offline juSe

• LGM Member
  • Call me juSe Wayne

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2009, 01:06:09 PM »
...juSe, that's a great find right there.  I see your thinking process is on another level.  Someone told me that we'll need to begin by renewing of our minds.  ;) 

Sometimes I feel like a mad scientist when I start thinking about the little things that can make such a huge impact on your playing.  There is absolutely more to come.

Pages: [1]   Go Up