LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: IS IT JUST ME?  (Read 4942 times)

Offline Torch7

• LGM Member
    • Gospel Bass Guitar Lessons Site

Re: IS IT JUST ME?
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2009, 10:14:54 AM »
But because they are great musicians, working on one accord, they was able to pull it off.

The operative word is ONE Accord... Unfortunately all across America every Sunday people who are not great musicians are pulling stuff up on the fly.  Another thing to be remembered is a great musician can cover others, instead of making the one who doesn't necessarily know where they are look bad. 

What you are talking about are Improv skills, musicians improve all over the planet all the time, and they don't say, it's Spirit led.  When all musicians understand they are improving, they approach the song in a different way.  The bottom line is some folks be lying on God.

I do feel what you are saying ddwilkins, we should be able to focus on God and do what we do as unto Him to the best of our abilities.   

Offline ddwilkins

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Arsenal!!!!
    • D'Wayne's Spot

« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2009, 10:20:15 AM »
I guess if you do original songs, like we do often, it doesn't bother me. My P&W leader, who is releasing her first album this summer, write a lot of material. Actually, she came to mid week service with a tune in her head and we sang it that night less than an hour later. No one in the congregation new until the pastor got up and told the story of who his wife, P&W leader, was given the song by God. So, the band I'm with, we do and will change musical phrases within a song because its our original material. But before we do it, we make sure everyone is aware and on one accord, ie. communicate. I don't want anyone to get to feeling that I'm on the opposite side of the fence, but I'm opening my mind to see all sides.
Keep God first and he'll do the rest!!!

Offline Kelz-Da-Basshead

• LGM Member

« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2009, 11:16:28 AM »
I understand what ddwilkins is saying. As a musician we must be prepared for anything should the spirit take over.however at times the changes in the service are not due to the spirit they are due to someone's ego. God gave your praise and worship leader a song before you guys played it. That sounds reasonable. I doubt god gives musician a completely unpracticed complicated progression to be thrown in to the middle of the song without any type of warning. In the video you posted they said that they didn't rehearse the song. It did not say they did not know the song. Also in they video they are constantly looking at each other and communicating. Which is a key word. It is what can make a group of musicians into a bad.

So the word of the day is Communicate.
you got to hear numbers

Offline momuzik

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2009, 11:51:29 AM »
Whether it's Spirit-lead or ego-trippin', the end result should be to just flow with it.

Offline ddwilkins

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Arsenal!!!!
    • D'Wayne's Spot

« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2009, 12:00:31 PM »

I second that motion.

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2009, 01:30:05 PM »

...today's episode on Communication is brought to you by the key of C... and now a word from our sponsors.
For my God... let "Golden Axe" prevail.

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2009, 01:35:53 PM »
...today's episode on Communication is brought to you by the key of C... and now a word from our sponsors.

you are TOO much...ROFL!!!!!!!!!
Somebody put me in the key of E#

Offline Main5playah

• LGM Member
  • RV-5 Sadowsky

« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2009, 01:37:08 PM »
playing an unexpected song is one thing, but changing how that song goes is a WHOLE different thing.

We can all expect to play songs that we haven't rehearsed, however when you get people that want to add their own words and different breaks in the middle of the songs they've gotten completely out of control.

I can respect being able to play songs on demand, but I can't respect when people want to change up songs in the middle of service and they're the only ones that knows how it's suppose to go.
OH MY GOD you absolutely hit the nail directly on the head! All I'm saying is if your going to as they say add your personal flavor to a particular song, just let the rest of the band know, prefably well in advance.
Main5playah

Offline Main5playah

• LGM Member
  • RV-5 Sadowsky

« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2009, 01:41:03 PM »
Whether it's Spirit-lead or ego-trippin', the end result should be to just flow with it.
I feel what your saying and to a fault I agree, but remember we all have different levels of musicianship, some of are not at the level of flowing proficiently yet. That is also the responsibility of a good MOM to know your fellow musicians capabilities and to if necessary assist them as they grow in the spirit as well as musicianship.
Main5playah

Offline newbirthbass

• LGM Member

« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2009, 02:47:57 PM »
That is also the responsibility of a good MOM to know your fellow musicians capabilities and to if necessary assist them as they grow in the spirit as well as musicianship.

This isn't the case at my church.  If I was dependant on my MOM to help me grow in my musicianship I would would still be bumping on the root when I play.  I think my church made a mistake in giving our choir director/ secondary pianist the title of MOM.  I honestly believe she was given this title because she can sing well because she has no passion for what she does but just won't seem to quit or do better.  And I guess that's why its so easy for me to adjust to "the spirit" changing things because she cares so little about what she does when she's playing that I can't even recognize the song until the choir starts so I have to go with what she does even though me and the primary pianist have learned the song.  That's why I've taken it upon myself to better myself as a musician and bring my fellow pit members with me.  Sorry if I got off topic a little.  :-\
Replace "I can't" with "I don't know how" then go learn.

Offline ddwilkins

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Arsenal!!!!
    • D'Wayne's Spot

« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2009, 02:58:18 PM »
I feel what your saying and to a fault I agree, but remember we all have different levels of musicianship, some of are not at the level of flowing proficiently yet. That is also the responsibility of a good MOM to know your fellow musicians capabilities and to if necessary assist them as they grow in the spirit as well as musicianship.

The earth will stand still when eveyone who has the title of Minister of Music, begins to assist their fellow band mates. Fortunately for my, my band leader and I assist everyone. We don't mind because it only makes us better.

Offline Kelz-Da-Basshead

• LGM Member

« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2009, 03:03:48 PM »

I don't think im going to watch this show any more cuz I hate that key. Let me know when the Ab or Eb episode comes on. I think the Ab one is about Absolute pitch.
you got to hear numbers

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2009, 03:59:12 PM »
Waiting for the Authorized Transposition version in Cb...

;)

Offline ddwilkins

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Arsenal!!!!
    • D'Wayne's Spot

« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2009, 06:38:49 PM »
If you hit your transpose button, the show is in close caption.

Offline Kelz-Da-Basshead

• LGM Member

« Reply #54 on: May 05, 2009, 07:08:07 PM »
I thought transposing would make it seem like you were watching one episode but in actuality you are watching a different episode.
you got to hear numbers

Offline chrismc101

• LGM Member

« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2009, 07:08:00 AM »
ddwilkins,

You are TOTALLY right. That is why I've been practicing more and jsut playing anything so I can be verse enough to pick up and roll with whatever come to "their" minds to play. However, I think that works best with hymns and old tunes. You can't pull a newer artist tune out of the blue (with mad turns & transitions) and just run smoothly with it.

But I do agree, that practicing with radio/and cd to become more familiar with turns & transitions (done in church music) helps us in playing on the fly.
CeeMc
"bassN4eva"

Offline hands5

• LGM Member

« Reply #56 on: May 06, 2009, 07:21:09 AM »
playing an unexpected song is one thing, but changing how that song goes is a WHOLE different thing.

We can all expect to play songs that we haven't rehearsed, however when you get people that want to add their own words and different breaks in the middle of the songs they've gotten completely out of control.

I can respect being able to play songs on demand, but I can't respect when people want to change up songs in the middle of service and they're the only ones that knows how it's suppose to go.
Exactly.

Offline dhagler

• LGM Member

« Reply #57 on: May 06, 2009, 08:42:26 PM »

+1. And then thrash it out in rehearsal or after service. :)

Offline craigory

• LGM Member

« Reply #58 on: May 10, 2009, 08:45:43 AM »
I too feel for you. One thing about this "Holy Spirit" thing is that when the Spirit hits and EVERYONE is one 1 accord there is no frustration or uncertainty because YOU are no longer in control. When last second changes occur OFTEN, to me that is a sign of being undisciplined  or just plain not sure of what is really going on. I hate when we rehearse a NEW song quick on Sat. and play it Sun. (unless it's really really simple) because it sets the stage for disaster. Just do the best you can and try to go w/the flow.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up