LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Saying hello after many many years--my turn to give back!!  (Read 1790 times)

Offline youngenuff

• LGM Member

Saying hello after many many years--my turn to give back!!
« on: February 12, 2014, 01:50:36 AM »
Hello everyone...It has literally been years since I have posted on this site. I actually started here back in the day a little after Darrell (sp?) started it...with Roline...Mysteryman...and some of the others. I was reading some of the requests and replys...and it brought back memories of when I first started out on the Gospel music journey. Since then...God has blessed me with a great music education...and I teach Gospel music now...which is a loooooong way from where I started, when I didn't even know how to structure a chord.

I would really like to be a blessing to others now. I know that there is a lot of information out there...some helpful...some not so helpful. I remember back in the day wanting to play so bad that I ran all over the country (literally) trying to glean information from various musicians. This was especially difficult as a female organist...very few musicians would take time to show you anything!!!

ANYWAY...if it's the Lord's will...my desire is to upload some instructional videos...of VERY VERY VERY basic music theory to help others along the way. I do not profess to know it all...but that which I know...I do know. So if I can be of assistance to anyone...please let me know. I will say this in advance...I'll tell you the same thing I tell my students. My goal is to teach you how to fish...not to catch and cook it for you. In other words, I don't want to do a lot of song breakdown stuff...but I would love to talk theory...so that you can understand the workings and learn how to play it for yourself. No music teacher should want to handicap you by having you come to them for years to get chords to songs. The goal is to teach you how to hear and/or read...so that you can understand for yourself.

SO!!! Enough lecturing!! I hope to be posting soon. If there is something in particular...please let me know what you would like to know/understand.

God bless you in advance!

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • The Jamaican breakfast patty created by me. :)
    • http://www.geocities.com/mysterymman1

Re: Saying hello after many many years--my turn to give back!!
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 10:35:34 AM »
Hello youngenuff! :D We are all still here. Good to hear from you. A lot has changed while you were gone. Things have slowed down on the site some. I believe you were in Texas? Are you still there? Hopefully we all can put together another LGM meeting this year. :)
Vision without action is just day dreaming. I miss practicing.

Offline youngenuff

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 12:37:57 PM »
Hello Mysteryman!! Yes!!! I am from Texas. Glad to hear from you. Oh...I am sure that with all of the info that is out here now...the game has changed. Nothing like when we first started posting here...what almost fifteen years ago??? Time flies. I hope that you are doing well! And yes...it would be nice to have a "get together!" Lol.

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 05:39:24 PM »
Welcome back to the fold man! We are all a lot farther then when we first started. Now we got a new generation that's hungry and need our help. I look forward to your contributions to the site.
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline baggettcindy

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 08:24:38 PM »
thanx for the post...how often/long did u practice?  how long after u started were u able to play for church? after learning your scales, where did u go from there? U are right about not being shown what to do...I am a female and started bass lessons in FEB, which is helping with theory on the organ. I don't see female musicians in church often, so it is good to see your post on being an organist....

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • The Jamaican breakfast patty created by me. :)
    • http://www.geocities.com/mysterymman1

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 07:45:25 PM »
thanx for the post...how often/long did u practice?  how long after u started were u able to play for church? after learning your scales, where did u go from there? U are right about not being shown what to do...I am a female and started bass lessons in FEB, which is helping with theory on the organ. I don't see female musicians in church often, so it is good to see your post on being an organist....
You can learn pretty fast if you have the right teacher.
Vision without action is just day dreaming. I miss practicing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up