LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: What really is the best way to learn?  (Read 6150 times)

Offline ma1ne

• LGM Member
  • He that findeth a wife! PRAISE HIM! LOL
    • Facebook

What really is the best way to learn?
« on: May 04, 2009, 11:44:46 AM »
Hello everybody, im currently in the beginner/intermediate level as far as playin the board and ive come across many theories and tips and what not on how to learn. I believe that theory is very VERY VERY important but i feel like its more to it. Now my cuz used to play for Hezekiah back then (ive been meaning to call him) and he told me that its all mental. If u know all the chords to a key now u just have to rely on ur ear for the placement of em but what if u dont know all of the chords BUT u know a few songs in that particular key? Does that make sense? To me it seems like learning songs is the best way to go. I just get frustrated cuz i see these dudes and i want what they got but i gotta realize i just started playing last year u kno. Yall input would really do me sum good, help a brutha out :)
Play skilfully with a loud noise Psalm 33:3

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

Re: What really is the best way to learn?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 02:50:18 PM »
Now my cuz used to play for Hezekiah back then (ive been meaning to call him) and he told me that its all mental. If u know all the chords to a key now u just have to rely on ur ear for the placement of em

Ur cuz is right, it is all mental. Music starts in your mind so learning theory is very good. He is also right about knowing the chords to a key and being able to place them correctly.

Learning progressions will help you get to that next level u want man.  Progressions take the chords that you know and pair them with the notes of the major scale to make chords. The major scale notes are your bass/LH notes.

As you practice progressions, your ears will began to guide you as to what chord(s) to play next. After you've played a few songs, u will realize that certain patterns show up often. Here are some links to progression posts I have here on LGM:

Basic Progressions:  http://forums.learngospelmusic.com/index.php/topic,15720.0.html

More Advanced Progressions:  http://forums.learngospelmusic.com/index.php/topic,15731.0.html

Progressions Practice Routine:  http://forums.learngospelmusic.com/index.php/topic,18903.0.html

Progressions Practice Routine #2:  http://forums.learngospelmusic.com/index.php/topic,31384.0.html

Progressions Practice Routine #3:  http://www.learngospelmusic.com/forums/index.php/topic,36503.0.html

Explaining Progressions:  http://forums.learngospelmusic.com/index.php/topic,18550.0.html

Explaining Progressions part 2:  http://forums.learngospelmusic.com/index.php/topic,31163.0.html

Explaining Progressions part 3:  http://www.learngospelmusic.com/forums/index.php/topic,33036.0.html

Another Look At Progressions:  http://www.learngospelmusic.com/forums/index.php/board,5.0.html

A Drill For Learning Progressions:  http://www.learngospelmusic.com/forums/index.php/topic,50263.0.html
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline NJDBalla

• LGM Member
  • Aspiring to be better
    • Word Of Faith Apostolic Church

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 04:42:17 PM »
And be sure to check out the "Helpful Threads" Sticky at the top of the page. Lots of information to help you. BUT!, one thing at a time. get those progressions down then move on to other "aspects" of playing.
Play what you KNOW is right; not what you THINK is right
BTW Go to http://www.wordoffaithmnc.com

Offline Virtuenow

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 11:35:14 PM »
Ya, what they said...Try to go in order of links as posted (for example, get your fingering down on the major scales, learn basic chords for every key- and fingering, then moving on to progressions).  TBlk, Hey!

Offline ma1ne

• LGM Member
    • Facebook

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 02:16:44 PM »
Good look on the advice, its just frustrating cuz i learned a couple songs but i really dont know what im playin, imma practice these tho

Offline FaithD

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 03:26:37 AM »
I was always told to practice as much as you can. I practice everyday even if its only for 30 mins. I've noticed that it does work. Sometimes I practice the same song over and over. I get better on the song and add more to it as I learn.

I'm having a hard time understanding progressions, but I hear them as I practice them. I also hear them when listening to the radio and it helps me try to pick up songs on my own.

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 12:14:29 PM »
This is all good...over time I have learned to catch the "main" chord changes in a song, and bypass or learn the secondary 'passing' chords later...

Offline ma1ne

• LGM Member
    • Facebook

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 06:11:16 AM »
Yo so when people say 7-3-6-2-5-1 thats only for the bass hand? For example if im in C, CDEFGABC ok it would be B-E-A-D-G-C? And if so are there limits to the right hand chords or do u have a certain amount to work with, now im not talking about Maj13 chords but i mean the chords that go with the major scale, M m m M M m Dim chords u kno, if that makes sense LOL

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2009, 11:42:07 AM »
Yo so when people say 7-3-6-2-5-1 thats only for the bass hand? For example if im in C, CDEFGABC ok it would be B-E-A-D-G-C? And if so are there limits to the right hand chords or do u have a certain amount to work with, now im not talking about Maj13 chords but i mean the chords that go with the major scale, M m m M M m Dim chords u kno, if that makes sense LOL

Yes, those numbers are the bass notes. And no, there are no limits to what chords go with the major scale. Those u got there are just the ones u start with. Each of those chords can be altered to create new chords. It's all up to you to experiment and find out what chords sound good with what bass notes. You can use my posts here on LGM as guides to help get u started.

Offline ma1ne

• LGM Member
    • Facebook

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2009, 01:05:23 PM »
I hear u so those r just a guide line, good look, u might as well make dvds and sell them thangs, mine should be free since i suggested it 8)

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2009, 01:25:32 PM »
I hear u so those r just a guide line, good look, u might as well make dvds and sell them thangs, mine should be free since i suggested it 8)

That's only if u had been the 1st person to suggest it. There have been entire threads on people asking me if I'm coming out with a DVD, LOL.

Offline SirTJ

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2009, 04:15:57 PM »
That's only if u had been the 1st person to suggest it. There have been entire threads on people asking me if I'm coming out with a DVD, LOL.

Yeah, we're not giving our DVD away for free...it's full price, mister!

I'm sorry...did I say 'Our'? I meant T-Block's.  ;D

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2009, 04:22:09 PM »

Would you really wanna make a dvd?

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2009, 05:52:42 PM »
Would you really wanna make a dvd?

Yeah, I would/will one day.

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2009, 05:58:03 PM »

You need to get a lil camera (dont gotta be an expensive one) and start putting stuff on youtube of you teaching. At least of few cats have gotten DVD deals because of the way they tought music on youtube.

Offline SirTJ

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2009, 07:02:01 PM »
You need to get a lil camera (dont gotta be an expensive one) and start putting stuff on youtube of you teaching. At least of few cats have gotten DVD deals because of the way they tought music on youtube.

That's true. That's how Kevin Conley got his deal.

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2009, 07:12:17 PM »
That's true. That's how Kevin Conley got his deal.

And Trina Trine. I think Hammond Man might have been discovered online too, I'm not sure though.

Offline chevonee

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Back and better than ever!
    • God's Glory

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2009, 02:51:25 PM »
I'd buy it without thinking twice. Dude you know your stuff...FA'reAl!!!
Strike while the iron is hot!

Offline berbie

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2009, 05:27:59 PM »
I would certainly buy a T-block video.  Judging by his actual posts, it would have to be a killer.

berbie 

Offline ma1ne

• LGM Member
    • Facebook

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2009, 10:53:23 AM »
lol yeah that'll be wassup tho if t-block made a dvd, but i say free dvds for everybody!!! when u think about it what does money really mean? Its just paper, i could take pencils and stamp "10" on em and still cash in. The fact that im helping my fellow brother is rewarding enough, now who's with me?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up