LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Musicians vs. Minstrel/Levite  (Read 12613 times)

Offline sayyes

• LGM Member
  • Things are gonna work out for sure..

Musicians vs. Minstrel/Levite
« on: February 07, 2009, 06:30:56 PM »
I was watching the Tye Tribbett video Stand Out and he mentioned the difference between a musican and a minstrel/Levite.  I was just wondering what do yal think the main difference is, and how would you teach young musicans in your church about making the switch?
And I Want You To Say Well Done....

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Re: Musicians vs. Minstrel/Levite
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 07:23:24 PM »
Just my opinion, but I think most musicians follow the worship - but a minstrel/Levite leads people into praise/worship....

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 07:46:17 PM »
Anybody can be a musician, but it takes more than just playing  to be a minstrel.I think minstrels are more about ministry. If you are just doing it for the money or the attention from females etc, then you are doing for the wrong reason and you need to reevaluate why you play.

Also, levites werent stingy with their gift. They trained the up and coming ministers. I'm sure we all know at least a couple of selfish musicians

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 08:19:56 PM »
Minstrels and Levites lead lives of prayer and fasting. Yes, they practice; but, they're also in their Word, listening to and for the voice of God to lead and guide them.

They are humble; know how to submit to leadership, speak to folks and share their gift willingly and gladly.

In short, there are PLENTY of musicians and singers, but very FEW Minstrels and Levites, IMHO.
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline tobiustobi1

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 01:53:18 AM »
All of that and more is in this book, please get your copy today!
"The Ministry Anointing of the Prophet-Minstrel" by David L. Brown
http://www.amazon.com/Ministry-Anointing-Prophet-Minstrel-David-Brown/dp/1591603757/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1234165878&sr=8-1

Offline sayyes

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 01:13:02 AM »
All of that and more is in this book, please get your copy today!
"The Ministry Anointing of the Prophet-Minstrel" by David L. Brown
http://www.amazon.com/Ministry-Anointing-Prophet-Minstrel-David-Brown/dp/1591603757/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1234165878&sr=8-1

wow!!!...thank you...i'll pick up my copy soon...

Offline THE WOLFMAN

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 02:00:41 AM »
a misconception is that Levites are just musicians.

if ya looks in the OT, ya see that the levites were the WORKERS of the church(temple)

while everyone else did what they were to do(smithing, textiles, horticulture, herding, etc.)
the tribe of Levi was to do nothing but see to needs of the temple. Clean, maintain, provide service for, sing, play, ursher(lol)...etc. Special land would be set aside just for them, and they were to be taken care of via the offerings brought to the temple.

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 06:31:52 AM »

if ya looks in the OT, ya see that the levites were the WORKERS of the church(temple)

while everyone else did what they were to do(smithing, textiles, horticulture, herding, etc.)
the tribe of Levi was to do nothing but see to needs of the temple. Clean, maintain, provide service for, sing, play, ursher(lol)...etc. Special land would be set aside just for them, and they were to be taken care of via the offerings brought to the temple.

Troof.
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline sayyes

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 06:52:01 PM »

good point but it brings up a question. 
1. How do we teach these younger cats that being a musician is serving not just a way to make a quick buck?

2. What methods have you (or anyone) taken to try to express to their churches that the Musician or the Levite needs to be paid?

The reason I ask is because the average age of the musicians at my church is 17, and the organ player made a comment that through me for a loop.  The service was going forward and I instructed him to play, his responce was "They're not paying me," and I was like "wow."  So how should I let all the brothers know that we do it for God not for a check?

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009, 06:56:21 PM »
1. How do we teach these younger cats that being a musician is serving not just a way to make a quick buck?

2. What methods have you (or anyone) taken to try to express to their churches that the Musician or the Levite needs to be paid?

The reason I ask is because the average age of the musicians at my church is 17, and the organ player made a comment that through me for a loop.  The service was going forward and I instructed him to play, his responce was "They're not paying me," and I was like "wow."  So how should I let all the brothers know that we do it for God not for a check?

Good points, but its not only young people with that attitude. There are some old cats with the same mentality.

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2009, 07:43:01 PM »

1. Play CDs.

2. Play nothing.

3. Download songs and play them on the keyboard.

It might be tough fo' a minute, but cats'll get the message or bounce. Either way, you'll know their true intentions.

Offline deek

• LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2009, 08:02:02 PM »
How can you be a Minstrel/Levite and "teach" the young cats and the older one's too that it's not about the dollar, it's about Jesus!  Did you say anything to this young man?  That was a teachable moment whether he received it or not.  Some plant, some water, but eventually, in His time, God will give the increase!

Offline Faydah

• LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2009, 08:36:29 PM »
Wus good LGM family? I know I may be 10 yrs and 12kids late in posting on this topic but I witness this a lot.I attempt to be very sensitive to the leading of the Holy Ghost as I play.Therefore, I may not play b/c God says so but its a point where the "musician" "should" be playing, (ie.when the preacher has been preaching "2 long"). People look @ you and they do the lil' hand gesture as if their playing, to cue you to tune Up so they can sit Down.  Sad to say, a lot of churches are looking for musicians and not Levites.For me, when I'm not supposed to play and I attempt to force it, it rings in my ears like clamorous noise so I'll stop altogether. Musicians learn song s and the format of 'service'. Levites/Minstrels learn the heart of the songs and attempt to convey that spirit with every key stroke, head bob and toe tap. I gets carried away like dude from earth wind and fire(guitar) b/c of how merciful and good He is to me. My 2 cents on the gas prices". Peace.   

Offline tobiustobi1

• LGM Member

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2009, 01:21:29 AM »
i done told y'all to get that book!  LOL!

Offline CHI-MD

• LGM Member

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2009, 09:03:09 AM »

Can you provide the reference for this in the bible. I'd like to read into this more

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2009, 10:07:17 AM »
Can you provide the reference for this in the bible. I'd like to read into this more

2 Chronicles 34.  ;)

Ramar

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2009, 10:10:56 AM »

Dat's wussup!!

Offline sayyes

• LGM Member

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2009, 06:26:37 PM »
How can you be a Minstrel/Levite and "teach" the young cats and the older one's too that it's not about the dollar, it's about Jesus!  Did you say anything to this young man?  That was a teachable moment whether he received it or not.  Some plant, some water, but eventually, in His time, God will give the increase!

I know this is super late but pray for the Elders computer...haha...but yeah we talked to him and let him know what's up eventually he stopped playing for us and i started playing again...now we have a pretty good musician that follows good, he's paid but he's attitude is good for now...

Offline demusicman

• LGM Member
  • http://www.myspace.com/reverenceministry
    • http://www.myspace.com/demusicman

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2009, 06:51:52 AM »

Now this is something I've seen too often in Music Ministry and  I can simply say the attitude displayed by the 17 year old is not the attitude of a Minstrel of Levite. I learned by entering the Music Ministry at an early age that its not about the check, not about the title nor the job description but purely about the ministry.

Upon entering the music ministry I witnessed even grown people with this syndrome. At my current assignment most of my music staff is comprised of men and women ages 13 and 24. We have a established a Worship Leaders course which the musicians and worship leaders must attend, where either myself or the Pastor teach on ministry. I am thankful that I am watching as my staff grows from musicians to minstrels.

The bible speaks that we are destroyed by a lack of knowledge. It is up to those of us who know to teach those who don't know.
Daniel E. Smalls, Minister of Music & Worship Arts
Heaven Bound Ministries Worship Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up