LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Musician Appreciation  (Read 18431 times)

Offline CHI-MD

• LGM Member

Musician Appreciation
« on: May 18, 2009, 11:15:13 AM »
I've been a musician just about all of my life. One thing that I've noticed in many...many churches is that the musicians go unappreciated. When anyone is giving acknowledgements the musicians are usually always last or not mentioned at all. Most people don?t realize the amount of time a work that goes into what we do. I'm not looking for my reward from man, but every other dept or auxiliary in churches have annual days and appreciations...why not the musicians? It feels good to know you're not being overlooked and your hard work is not going unnoticed. I've served my church faithfully for 10 years...missed two Sundays last years. They have decided to give me (and the other musicians) an appreciation service. We keep running into conflicting dates so it?s not set in stone yet. They are letting us plan the service.

I'd like to know what are your opinions on appreciations for musicians.

Have you had one?

Anything special done? Any suggestions or advice?

Thanks,

Offline jrs81

• LGM Member

Re: Musician Appreciation
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 04:45:54 PM »
I, like you, have been a musician all of my life, since the age of 7, and I'm now well in my 40's.  I have only had one appreciation.  Back in 2003 or 04, they gave me a surprise program.  It was a wonderful experience.  I really didn't know anything about it.  I suspected something that morning but put it out of my mind.  They had a special guest choir from a church that I had talked about one time, that I enjoyed hearing them.  It was very nice, even my children were in on the surprise.  Everyone was even dressed in my favorite color. 

I'm not looking for glory from man.  It just makes you feel good that you are appreciated for what you do.

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 05:18:12 PM »
The check I get every month is enough to know that I'm appreciated. :D

The reaction and respect I get from the people is enough to know that I'm appreciated.

Realizing the fact that I'm doing God's work and ministering to the saved as well as the unsaved is enough to know that I'm appreciated

BTJM. I see nothing wrong with having appreciation services, but I dont think I need one. Maybe that'll change after I've been playing for YEARS. :D

Offline tobiustobi1

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 01:14:07 AM »

The reaction and respect I get from the people is enough to know that I'm appreciated.

Realizing the fact that I'm doing God's work and ministering to the saved as well as the unsaved is enough to know that I'm appreciated

BTJM. I see nothing wrong with having appreciation services, but I dont think I need one. Maybe that'll change after I've been playing for YEARS. :D

LOL, I AGREE!

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 09:36:56 AM »
I've been a musician just about all of my life. One thing that I've noticed in many...many churches is that the musicians go unappreciated. When anyone is giving acknowledgements the musicians are usually always last or not mentioned at all. Most people don?t realize the amount of time a work that goes into what we do. I'm not looking for my reward from man, but every other dept or auxiliary in churches have annual days and appreciations...why not the musicians? It feels good to know you're not being overlooked and your hard work is not going unnoticed. I've served my church faithfully for 10 years...missed two Sundays last years. They have decided to give me (and the other musicians) an appreciation service. We keep running into conflicting dates so it?s not set in stone yet. They are letting us plan the service.

Have you had one?

Thanks,

Ya lost me at the one word.

If you're NOT looking for a reward from man, why the thread?

Other ministries get acknowledged, so what? Could it be they already have their reward according to the Bible?

If you want to be recognized, then fine. But don't say you're not looking for a reward and then mention that other ministries get recognized. It's disingenuous.

You did ask for our opinions.  :)
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline CHI-MD

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 01:32:23 PM »
I was more so asking of M.O.M./Musicians who have had an appreciation what were the experiences like and if they had any suggestions. Again I dont want a reward from man, but I want to be recognized and not overlooked for the contributions I make. Have you ever heard the saying give honor where honor is due? It's been talked about for years but just finally coming into form.

We can go back and forth about this all day but being a skilled dedicated musician we think that way. We play for every service and every program...every auxillary's appreciation, and most of those they can come and go, but as a musician/mom we have expectaions, requirements, and regulations. if YOU dont think you deserve it then fine, but I know of a lot of musicians who do including myself; for the substansial contributions we have mad to our ministries.

I'm not talking about churches who are renting facilites, storefronts, YMCA's but churches who are more than able. Are we not due that much? come on..... dont downgrade all that we as musicians and moms do. My reward will be in heaven, but give me my flowers while I can smell them

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 01:47:49 PM »
I was more so asking of M.O.M./Musicians who have had an appreciation what were the experiences like and if they had any suggestions. Again I dont want a reward from man, but I want to be recognized and not overlooked for the contributions I make. Have you ever heard the saying give honor where honor is due? It's been talked about for years but just finally coming into form.

We can go back and forth about this all day but being a skilled dedicated musician we think that way. We play for every service and every program...every auxillary's appreciation, and most of those they can come and go, but as a musician/mom we have expectaions, requirements, and regulations. if YOU dont think you deserve it then fine, but I know of a lot of musicians who do including myself; for the substansial contributions we have mad to our ministries.

I'm not talking about churches who are renting facilites, storefronts, YMCA's but churches who are more than able. Are we not due that much? come on..... dont downgrade all that we as musicians and moms do. My reward will be in heaven, but give me my flowers while I can smell them

Not downgrading. Just asking to call a spade a spade, that's it.

I'm cool with a 'thank you'.

I'm cool with watching as folks' chains break or they feel free to release a praise or a worship and care who's around them.

BTJM. And, you're right; we COULD all day about this. Let's not.  ;)
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline RoyalJimP

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 07:48:02 PM »

I'm cool with watching as folks' chains break or they feel free to release a praise or a worship and care who's around them.

Hi been reading for awhile getting the feel for the community here. I play Hammond and synth (Yamaha S80) in our worship band.
 The above quote really struck a chord has just this past Sunday night such a powerful spirit of worship swept through the congregation.
As I looked over the worshippers, young and old, as the Pastor just relinquished control of the service to the Holy Spirit and as we musicians just played and worshiped over 1 1/2 hours, I was so blessed to be there in God's House. After the marathon service no one said to any of the musicians that we had done any thing special.

And to be honest it would have seemed out of place to do so. I felt we played as well as we have at any other time, but it was the Holy Spirit not us. To be used by God
was all the thanks I needed at that point. At other times though it is nice to have someone notice what was played or done during the musical portion of worship and give a heart felt compliment. We are still human you know it does make you feel good. But as long as God is pleased that is good

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 08:05:50 PM »

Hi been reading for awhile getting the feel for the community here. I play Hammond and synth (Yamaha S80) in our worship band.
 The above quote really struck a chord has just this past Sunday night such a powerful spirit of worship swept through the congregation.
As I looked over the worshippers, young and old, as the Pastor just relinquished control of the service to the Holy Spirit and as we musicians just played and worshiped over 1 1/2 hours, I was so blessed to be there in God's House. After the marathon service no one said to any of the musicians that we had done any thing special.

And to be honest it would have seemed out of place to do so. I felt we played as well as we have at any other time, but it was the Holy Spirit not us. To be used by God
was all the thanks I needed at that point. At other times though it is nice to have someone notice what was played or done during the musical portion of worship and give a heart felt compliment. We are still human you know it does make you feel good. But as long as God is pleased that is good

First, welcome to the discussions, as well as LGM.

Next, I completely agree with the portion in bold. All I was trying to get across to the original poster was to call it what it is. And, you said it best, a recognition of appreciation in some form (which, indeed, is a form of reward and comes from man).

That's all I was saying.

As for the rest of your post, I can't tell you how gratified I am when the spirit is that high and folks are in true worship. Especially since I'm a true beginner, so when God uses a wretch like me, I'm awed, humbled, amazed, etc.

It's just awesome.

Offline JazzJunkie

• LGM Member
  • A Great Legend

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2009, 09:59:11 AM »
[

Have you had one?

Thanks,

[/quote]

I would invite a P&W team and just have a few groups to come in and sing maybe 2 selection.
Take What U Know And Use It To The Glory Of God.

<JazzJunkie>

Offline CHI-MD

• LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2009, 01:56:19 PM »
[I would invite a P&W team and just have a few groups to come in and sing maybe 2 selection.

That's the real question I was asking....everything else was my opinion. I never intended for the thread to be cluttered with unrelated responses to the question at hand.

Thanks

Offline momuzik

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2009, 03:09:03 PM »

One day... :-\

Offline MrSparrow

• LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2009, 10:00:11 PM »
Believe it or not, I've NEVER had a musician appreciation service for myself.

The churches around my church did but I'm at a new church now so we'll see...
 :D

Offline cbanks1

• LGM Member
    • http://mosthimusic

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2009, 05:50:29 PM »
Have you had one? Nah
Anything special done? Nah Any suggestions or advice? Nah
Thanks,

[/quote]
This is something I'm dealing with As we speak. I just believe that showing appreciation is good and goes a long way. I definetly understand where you are coming from. I dont play for money (and dont get it ) ;) would it be a nice gesture? of course.
No Wpn frmd shll prspr bcz grtr iz He tht iznme

Offline PianoWizard

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • 費思是能力到不恐慌

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2009, 05:14:07 AM »
Have you had one?
Thanks,

Honestly I from one of those churches where the musicians are almost always center stage, during a service and even after they get praised for the  talent and work they have done. I personally feel that its okay to show appreciation but to raise musicians on a pedestal is ridiculous. I simply enjoy playing for the Lord and the fact that I get to do it in church now is just a bonus and a blessing. We should not be seeking the kind words and appreciation of men and women in the church.

Just my thought.

PianoWiz...

Offline CHI-MD

• LGM Member

« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2009, 09:16:19 AM »
I personally feel that its okay to show appreciation but to raise musicians on a pedestal is ridiculous. I simply enjoy playing for the Lord and the fact that I get to do it in church now is just a bonus and a blessing. We should not be seeking the kind words and appreciation of men and women in the church.

Just my thought.

I almost thought no one else would reply to this thread. If everyone would please read the original post before commenting you would understand what I'm trying to say, and please just answer the questions stated. I'm asking questions to those who have had appreciations...may be having one in the future for ideas and suggestions..... Maybe in YOUR church music or musicians may not be as an important ministry....maybe you don?t work as hard.....maybe you're not at a level to where you should be having an appreciation.

In my church every auxiliary has an annual day where they are honored with appreciation for the day for their contributions throughout the year. (Maybe not in your church)........so why not the music ministry? If an usher/nurse/deacon...even minister didn?t show up for morning service/afternoon service...outing it would almost go unnoticed, but let a musician not be there...you'd know it. I always think musicians are overworked and unappreciated by others who are not musicians...let?s not lower ourselves our craft and talent.....Look at the views on this thread 350 or so the last time I checked....people are interested in a "musician appreciation"...think about it This has nothing to doing with being put on a pedestal...it?s not uncommon with playing for a large sized church in Chicago (maybe in your church it is). If you paycheck is enough then you ARE playing for money. I?m really just looking for suggestions and ideas from other musicians who have had an appreciation. (that?s all)

Thanks

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2009, 10:24:18 AM »
I almost thought no one else would reply to this thread. If everyone would please read the original post before commenting you would understand what I'm trying to say, and please just answer the questions stated. I'm asking questions to those who have had appreciations...may be having one in the future for ideas and suggestions..... Maybe in YOUR church music or musicians may not be as an important ministry....maybe you don?t work as hard.....maybe you're not at a level to where you should be having an appreciation.

In my church every auxiliary has an annual day where they are honored with appreciation for the day for their contributions throughout the year. (Maybe not in your church)........so why not the music ministry? If an usher/nurse/deacon...even minister didn?t show up for morning service/afternoon service...outing it would almost go unnoticed, but let a musician not be there...you'd know it. I always think musicians are overworked and unappreciated by others who are not musicians...let?s not lower ourselves our craft and talent.....Look at the views on this thread 350 or so the last time I checked....people are interested in a "musician appreciation"...think about it This has nothing to doing with being put on a pedestal...it?s not uncommon with playing for a large sized church in Chicago (maybe in your church it is). If you paycheck is enough then you ARE playing for money. I?m really just looking for suggestions and ideas from other musicians who have had an appreciation. (that?s all)

Thanks

See, now me thinks you're trying to be argumentative. Perhaps, YOU should reread your initial post:

Have you had one?

Thanks,

You asked, we answered. I don't see the problem with the exception that there are those of us who don't, necessarily, feel as you do.  :-\

Happy 4th, dude.  ;)

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2009, 09:38:14 AM »
Mannnn, if you think the musicians are unappreciated, ask the ushers and SS teachers how THEY feel.  Ask the Evangelism teams, the Outreach Ministry, the Facilities volunteers, the sound guys... better yet, ASK THE DOGGONE ADMINISTRATOR!!!  >:(

:D :D :D :D

Nah, I'm kinda kidding.  Seriously though, my pastor thanks every ministry servant just about every Sunday.  But, as any church administrator will tell you, we NEVER get any recognition at all unless something goes wrong.  I tell new administrators and pastors all the time that when everything goes well, the pastor and church look good and get all the credit.  When things go wrong, everyone wants to know who the administrator is.  *shrug* But, it comes with the territory.  :-\

I don't mind one bit.  But, I think God equips most administrators to be okay with that.

The bottom line for me is that churches should have a "Volunteer/Servant Appreciation Day" for those ministry servants who aren't compensated financially.  Otherwise, your check (and the dignity and respect with which you're treated) is your appreciation.  Again, this isn't an issue at my church because my pastor is just a genuinely appreciative guy.  He says "thank you" to the servants at just about every service.  :-\

My name is LaRue1212 and I approved this message.
LaRue1212 for the LGM Grammar Council 2009
When you're in love you don't want to fall asleep bc reality is finally better than your dreams.

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2009, 11:51:01 PM »
You obviously have some anger issues that you need to work out. dont take that out on us.

Offline jonesl78

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2009, 12:25:22 PM »

Thanks

I prefer my "appreciation check" as opposed to a service.lol ;D
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up