LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need Chords for "Your Name" by Shekinah Glory  (Read 3638 times)

Offline bgdg00

• LGM Member
    • Cityoffragrance.com

Need Chords for "Your Name" by Shekinah Glory
« on: May 26, 2009, 06:24:35 PM »
Hello.
I'm a fairly experienced Church musician that's striving to go to the next level in my playing( No longer playing what the singers sing and playing all progressions). The thing is, I have to do this while learning new songs for the church praise team. Long story short, this song(Your Name by shekinah Glory ministries) is driving me crazy, it's all spotted chord progressions but because they are spotted that I can't pick them up just by ear. I've scoured the web for clips or just a written list(by the way thanx T-Block for those progressions to many other songs I need to learn) but to no avail. No one sings this song for some reason.

What I know,
I know most of the bass line to the chorus and opening and in the process even learned Psalm 27(the next song), but I just need the chords(Gb-C-Eb) for the sections where the choir is singing.

Thanks ahead of time, and God Bless.

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

Re: Need Chords for "Your Name" by Shekinah Glory
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 07:56:46 PM »
This happens to be one of the only songs that I like from the first disc of this SG cd. I can help you learn this song. It's in a minor key, so it may be a little tricky, but not too hard to figure out. Why don't u post the bass notes u have, then we can work from there?
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline bgdg00

• LGM Member
    • Cityoffragrance.com

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 12:26:07 AM »
Thank you so much and no problem.(sorry for the delay)

The main section I have is during the opening to the song, it goes:

Key of 'looks like' G# Minor, even though this section is in G# major:
(again bass notes only)

C
D#
C#
A#
C
D#
F
C#
A#
C
Repeat...(like 4 times)

Other than that, I'm lost. It becomes scattered and constantly changing. Please, I hope that helps.

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 06:21:27 AM »
Thank you so much and no problem.(sorry for the delay)

The main section I have is during the opening to the song, it goes:

Key of 'looks like' G# Minor, even though this section is in G# major:
(again bass notes only)

C
D#
C#
A#
C
D#
F
C#
A#
C
Repeat...(like 4 times)

Other than that, I'm lost. It becomes scattered and constantly changing. Please, I hope that helps.

I haven't heard the song in a while, but I can already tell u that those notes u posted are not bass notes. Those are the melody notes u hear being played by the horn. There is only 1 bass note being played in the beginning, and that bass note is the key of the song.

Don't feel bad man. Lots of people mistake the melody for the bass.  The bass notes are the lowest notes being played. So, now that you know those are melody notes, give another try at listing some bass notes for me.

Offline bgdg00

• LGM Member
    • Cityoffragrance.com

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 01:56:16 PM »
My Fault. I usually try to pick the melody out from the Bass instrument. Since the bass Note is a single note, I believe the bass note is C. That is the note that plays over and over again.

Question:

Wouldn't the Melody section be more helpful then the singular bass note?(Since there are more notes to pull from...) Truthfully, again I'm trying to understand so I can move onto the level of a lot of musicians of this site.

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 02:54:18 PM »
Question:

Wouldn't the Melody section be more helpful then the singular bass note?(Since there are more notes to pull from...) Truthfully, again I'm trying to understand so I can move onto the level of a lot of musicians of this site.

The melody doesn't really tell u anything. All it does is provide the note that should be on top of the chord. The bass is where u find out what chord u need to play. The bass can stand on it's own for a song, while the melody can't.

Offline bgdg00

• LGM Member
    • Cityoffragrance.com

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 02:50:24 PM »
The melody doesn't really tell u anything. All it does is provide the note that should be on top of the chord. The bass is where u find out what chord u need to play. The bass can stand on it's own for a song, while the melody can't.

Ok. Um... can you please give me an example. Are you saying that in a chord the melody is the top note and the bass is the bottom?(I know this is not completely conclusive but just under a majority of gospel situations) Hmmm....?

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 06:32:16 PM »
Ok. Um... can you please give me an example. Are you saying that in a chord the melody is the top note and the bass is the bottom?(I know this is not completely conclusive but just under a majority of gospel situations) Hmmm....?

This is for any kind of music. The bass is always on the bottom, and the melody is 95% on top. Every now and then, someone may play the melody in the middle somewhere, but not for a whole song.

If u are trying to learn a song based off the melody alone, it will eventually lead u back to learning the bass because u need a bass note to go with your chords. However, if u start with the bass, u really don't need a melody. U can just let the singers take care of that while u play chords.

The bass is like ur roadmap or foundation for the song. It tells u where to go while the melody just gives it that icing-on-the-cake feeling. Example:
_______________________________________ __________

Key F, sample melody notes:  D C F Bb E F

Now, how are u gonna figure out chords for that? First, u gotta make a list of the chords that go with each of those notes that lie in the key of F. Then u gotta arrange them in a logical order. Then, u gotta put a bass note with them.

D: G-Bb-D, Bb-D-F, D-F-A
C: F-A-C, A-C-E, C-E-G
F: F-A-C, Bb-D-F, D-F-A
Bb: G-Bb-D, Bb-D-F, E-G-Bb
E: A-C-E, C-E-G, E-G-Bb

Let's pick these chords:

Bb-D-F, C-E-G, F-A-C, G-Bb-D, C-E-G

Of course, the melody has to be on top, so let's do that:

/ F-Bb-D
/ E-G-C
/ A-C-F
/ D-G-Bb
/ G-C-E
/ A-C-F

Now, like I said before, it's not complete w/out the bass notes. So, let's put some in to test it out. I will start with the roots of those chords:

Bb / F-Bb-D
C / E-G-C
F / A-C-F
G / D-G-Bb
C / G-C-E
F / A-C-F

O.K., that doesn't sound too bad, but look at all the work I had to go through just to get that. Let's flip it:
_______________________________________ _____________

Key F, sample bass notes: D C F Bb E F

From right here, I can tell u the pattern of the song and what chords would go good with them. Plus, I can make up my own melody, thus making the music my own.

D / G-C-E
C / Bb-Eb-G
F / A-Eb-G
Bb / A-D-F
E / G-C-E
F / C-E-A

See how quick and easy that was? Now, I bet ur wondering how I came up with those chords so fast. Well, it's because I've practiced with different chord patterns so much that when I see a bass pattern, I instantly know what chords will work.

Offline bgdg00

• LGM Member
    • Cityoffragrance.com

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2009, 07:18:22 PM »
Right on T-Block. I hear ya. So again I just have to practice more. Thanks man I really appreciate all the help. But just to be sure you determine the chords from the bass not the melody? Right on.

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2009, 08:03:02 PM »
But just to be sure you determine the chords from the bass not the melody? Right on.

Well, u determine the chord from the bass, but you get the chord inversion from the melody.

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2009, 08:05:43 PM »
And in case u didn't see it, here's the song chorded out:
 http://www.learngospelmusic.com/forums/index.php/topic,66795.0.html