LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cancelling Choir Rehearsal  (Read 3884 times)

Offline jgause2

• LGM Member

Cancelling Choir Rehearsal
« on: September 09, 2008, 09:53:13 PM »
On what grounds would you cancel choir practice? 

What instances have you come across where it was very inappropriate to cancel choir rehearsals?
The only place where "success" comes before "work" is in the dictionary

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

Re: Cancelling Choir Rehearsal
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 06:15:14 AM »
On what grounds would you cancel choir practice? 

Bad weather

Too many people won't be in attendance

What instances have you come across where it was very inappropriate to cancel choir rehearsals?

none.
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline fmason3

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 08:00:53 AM »
I will cancel rehearsals for numerous reasons. 

The church where I'm the minister of music, I play for and direct/teach/play for 5 different groups.  So that's 4 rehearsals a week at best.  I always give the choir the week off after the weekend when they sing.

Now this particular church is not booming with members so all of the auxiliaries share the same people.  So the youth usher board = the youth choir.  95% of the women in my adult mass choir are in the Women's Missionary Society.  So if the missionary society has something big going on, I'll cancel rehearsal (depending on the week).  Or if the YPD (Young people's department) has something that conflicts with rehearsal, I'll cancel. 

I cancelled the kids for the next 3 weeks because they aren't singing this 4th Sunday.  The Missionary Choir is taking their spot.

I cancelled an entire week back in March because I needed a vacation.  I went to NC to spend a week with my family at the beach.

I've cancelled once when I was sick...not a cold...but emergency room sick.

Living in the Tidewater area (southeastern Virginia), almost anything other than sunshine is considered inclement weather.  If it rains, people get scared to drive.  Don't let it snow....people aren't coming.  One time it was snowing at 5pm.  Rehearsal was at 7.  Everyone started calling me.  I cancelled rehearsal at 5:30.  It stopped snowing by 6pm.  By 6:30 you could not tell that it had been snowing.  But I try not to cancel rehearsals too often because people usually try to take a mile when you give them an inch.

Offline nessalynn77

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Inspirational Contemplation

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 05:47:45 PM »
We've been havin' trouble with too many cancelled rehearsals.  Our musician moved like an hour or so away AND he has a new baby, so he has become frequently less available, lol. We're having a meeting next week to try and get it all ironed out.

Offline jayhbiz

• LGM Member
  • 'Tha Garden'

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 10:54:06 PM »
Yeah it seems were havin' every other week off because our musician can't always make it(distance & other churches) but I think it'd be better if we rehearse w/out him & give him the CD to practice because things are getting kinda stagnant

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 07:14:18 AM »
Yeah it seems were havin' every other week off because our musician can't always make it(distance & other churches) but I think it'd be better if we rehearse w/out him & give him the CD to practice because things are getting kinda stagnant

As long as he can play it as close to the CD as possible, then that may be the way to go.

I say that because folks, who aren't musically astute, will follow the CD to the note (even though they couldn't tell you what note it is ::)) and will get all kinds of ignant (int) when the song is played differently.  :-\
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline keptbyJesus

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008, 09:26:45 AM »
Our rehearsal is pretty much never canclled.  We don't rehearse the Thursday after we sing, but other than that we rehearsing buddy.

Now if it's winter time and we have a bad storm coming or something like that then yes, or pastor has to preach somewhere then yes, b/c we will go and support him.  But I've been in the choir since 2001 and I think rehearsal have been canclled maybe 5 times.
If it had not been for the Lord on my side, where would I be!!!

Offline momuzik

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2008, 10:57:39 AM »
I'll cancel for severe weather like a hurricane or snow - not just for a thunderstorm; if I'm out of town or if too many people call ahead of time saying they can't make it - I may cancel.
Like last week only 2 of 7 from the praise team came to rehearsal. Most of them called but they called too late. If I had known earlier, I would've cancelled - but we had rehearsal just the same. Now check this out: PT rehearsal is from 7-8pm (we don't go beyond 8 because choir reheasal is 8-9pm), I even had one from the PT to call me at 8:30pm telling me she wasn't coming - come on now!

Offline jgause2

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2008, 12:52:08 PM »
I'll cancel for severe weather like a hurricane or snow - not just for a thunderstorm; if I'm out of town or if too many people call ahead of time saying they can't make it - I may cancel.
Like last week only 2 of 7 from the praise team came to rehearsal. Most of them called but they called too late. If I had known earlier, I would've cancelled - but we had rehearsal just the same. Now check this out: PT rehearsal is from 7-8pm (we don't go beyond 8 because choir reheasal is 8-9pm), I even had one from the PT to call me at 8:30pm telling me she wasn't coming - come on mow!

wow...thats messed up. 

I know our choir rehearsal usually doesn't get cancelled during the school year.  When the summer months come, rehearsal gets cancelled, only because nobody is there to come to rehearsal.  Everybody is always on vacation or camping, or something that doesn't involve coming to rehearsal. lol.  other times that rehearsal would be cancelled is when the director can't make it (working late, attending events for their child, vacation, etc.). 

but i have heard of ppl who's choir practice was cancelled because the leader didn't feel like having rehearsal.
The only place where "success" comes before "work" is in the dictionary

Offline kodacolor

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2008, 05:48:23 PM »
In August we had a lot of canceled rehersals.  Last week there was a storm so it was canceled.  The only times I cancel are:

- Bad Wheather
 - If the choir/praise team/musicians were invited to a party at the time of rehearsal (yeah there's a story connected to that)
 - If, at least, 2 leaders can't make it
 - If a majority of the members call and say they can't make it (but nobody ever calls or if they do I don't figure it out until the day of practice or I just so happen to call one of the leaders)

One of the leaders suggested that August should be a month of no practice since people have plans.  O...k... ?/?  I really don't see a reason to cancel practice.  If you're going to come then you're going to come.  If you're not going to come then you're not going to come.  I'm not going to wing it for a whole month.  Besides that's intentionally giving God crap for 5 weeks.  :(

Offline allonesound

• LGM Member
  • In God... *Im~So~AmAyZeN*

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2008, 11:41:58 PM »
id say bad weather... but i know of an instance where a director cancelled because "they" just felt like it!

WRONG!

oh how wrong... you just dont cancel because you "feel" like it! that means ur just doing it for show... and you need to get back on ur knees and pray bout this thing!

(lol)
To get something I've never had.... I have to do something I've never done. *Salvation will pay off*

Offline CHI-MD

• LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2009, 09:15:32 AM »
I'd say the only acceptable excuse should be bad weather, but you have those choir members that are going to make their own line of discretion on weather they should come or not. You kinda know if they're coming or not...especially if they're calling you "are we having rehearsal tonight"?....you know its supposed to storm real bad...I hear those all the time. lol...Sometimes if the weather is too warm they're not going to come.

I tell my choir its about the sacrifice. God sees that you're going the extra mile or doing whatever it takes and he'll bless you for your sacrifice. Regardless of the weather...don’t we still to to work? To Wal-mart? or wherever else?, but when it homes to the house of God...some people think that any (personal) excuse is a valid one

Being in Chicago it can be VERY frigid during the winter months, so we have a standard rule for the cold. If the temp (or windshield) is below 20 degrees rehearsal is automatically cancelled. We also have a call in line with a recorded message that everyone is supposed to check before 2pm the day of rehearsal

Offline kodacolor

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2009, 09:32:18 AM »
In August we had a lot of canceled rehersals.  Last week there was a storm so it was canceled.  The only times I cancel are:

- Bad Wheather
 - If the choir/praise team/musicians were invited to a party at the time of rehearsal (yeah there's a story connected to that)
 - If, at least, 2 leaders can't make it
 - If a majority of the members call and say they can't make it (but nobody ever calls or if they do I don't figure it out until the day of practice or I just so happen to call one of the leaders)

One of the leaders suggested that August should be a month of no practice since people have plans.  O...k... ?/?  I really don't see a reason to cancel practice.  If you're going to come then you're going to come.  If you're not going to come then you're not going to come.  I'm not going to wing it for a whole month.  Besides that's intentionally giving God crap for 5 weeks.  :(

I love when these threads come up!  They show me how I have, or haven't, grown! 
Pages: [1]   Go Up