LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Organizing A Music Ministry for a Beginner Minister of Music part 1  (Read 1215 times)

Offline amstudiosproducer

• LGM Member
  • God Will Do Exceedingly and Abundantly
    • www.twitter.com/lilwondermusic

I have belong to this site for over 6 or 7 years and havent had time to post much but the Lord has allowed me to situate a few things and give back to those that have bless me and be blessing! I am going to do a series of post to help new music ministers have the administration side of the being a musician and a minister.

Hopefully this will hope you to be organized and develop your skills on a professional level.

While Building the Music Department it is No.1 Important to have a strong administrative side,which means planning the music throughly and keeping the music in line with the message
or the word of God, keeping the congregation happy with relevant song selections but also keeping the hymns alive (younger musicians), but keeping the direction of the Holy Spirit in Front (Egoed Musicians).

It helps to plan you music out monthly to find out if it will go with what the theme or the word that the pastor is bringing forth. Many think that is to much but being prepared will take you a long ways then being unprepare. Makesure your song selections are well rehearsed and that your not still learning them yourself. I have come across alot of musicians that teach material that they are still learning. Learning is to take place at home, just be prepared.

" God Is Able, and He Does Exceedingly and Abundantly Above What We Ask For!!!!

Offline under13

• LGM Member

Good Post, especially on knowing the material. You dont need the choir members blaming you for the music being jacked up (when they can barely hold down their parts).

And I like the coordinating the songs with the message. You dont wanna take the people in someplace when the Pastor is trying to take hem to another.

Offline kodacolor

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Re: Organizing A Music Ministry for a Beginner Minister of Music part 1
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 11:25:00 PM »
Omgosh! I love you for making this thread! This past year was my first year as head of the music ministry and I can say that everything you mentioned is great advice.

I would like to add make sure the guidelines for the ministry and the requirements for the leaders under you are established. It's SOOOOO much better to have that squared away before you start than to do it later. God is a God of order.

Offline amstudiosproducer

• LGM Member
  • God Will Do Exceedingly and Abundantly
    • www.twitter.com/lilwondermusic

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM »
I thought this would be helpful, I have been the youngest MD in my area for a long time. Because I am young sometimes the older saints tend to see what it is your all about or test your knowledge. As the MD, you have to cross your I's and dot your T's. Prepartion is the key to being a successful leader. It just takes a few more minutes to plan effectively.
" God Is Able, and He Does Exceedingly and Abundantly Above What We Ask For!!!!

Offline kodacolor

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 07:09:08 PM »
I thought this would be helpful, I have been the youngest MD in my area for a long time. Because I am young sometimes the older saints tend to see what it is your all about or test your knowledge.

I learned this one the hard way.  :(

This past year I have learned a lot about the music ministry and running a music ministry.  One thing that I'm trying to learn to do now is to not operate out of fear.  I've done a few things that were not good because I was operating out of fear.  But what does God's word say about fear? 

Isaiah 41:10
So do not fear, for I am with you;
do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you;
I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

2 Timothy 1:7
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline.

Making certain decisions and enforcing certain rules gets hard and you can't be afraid to make the hard decisions.  If God told you to do it you have no reason to be afraid of what may happen.  I'm in the midst of something right now where I can't be afraid of what may happen because I know what God told me. 

M.O.M, Music Amins, MDs, etc should be in their word and have a consistant prayer life.  If not you may miss what God's trying to tell you.  Also, you'll need to continue to grow in Christ.
Pages: [1]   Go Up