LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: !!! ALL MUSICIANS PLEASE READ !!!  (Read 17344 times)

Offline Travis T

• LGM Member

!!! ALL MUSICIANS PLEASE READ !!!
« on: June 20, 2009, 01:29:50 AM »
I came across this video and wanted to know what you all thought about what he said. Lets please be respectful because Prophet Simmons is deceased and also was an anointed man and mouthpiece of GOD.

3:02-3:55
HOLINESS IS RIGHT ! I Peter 1:16 "Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy."

Offline Travis T

• LGM Member

Re: !!! ALL MUSICIANS PLEASE READ !!!
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 07:28:58 PM »
come on yall, i konw yall have some thoughts...
HOLINESS IS RIGHT ! I Peter 1:16 "Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy."

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 07:57:19 PM »
So he gets mad at musicians for incorporating Jazz and RnB  into their music, and 60 seconds later he curses in the pulpit (4:48). ::)

Offline THE WOLFMAN

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 08:54:47 PM »
come on yall, i konw yall have some thoughts...

nope.

ok heres one.

i dont agree.

im done.

Offline organman88

• LGM Member
    • Kue Musik Entertainment

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 12:39:56 AM »
come on now i hate when prechers say stuff like that gospel always came from feel gospel has no foundation no begining theory now and back in classical times it was always takin' from the secular world even the hymns.Thats just ignorance :-\
keyz 4 life

Offline DirectingOrganist

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 12:58:31 AM »
Interesting just interesting
Seek His Face, Not His Hand!

Offline kodacolor

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2009, 03:37:52 PM »
Gospel music started as blues and jazz with lyrics glorifying God...so no I don't agree.

Now if he means using popular secular licks and melodies in gospel music then I would say it depends on the song.

Offline organman88

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2009, 09:08:52 PM »
Gospel music started as blues and jazz with lyrics glorifying God...so no I don't agree.

Now if he means using popular secular licks and melodies in gospel music then I would say it depends on the song.
gospel music has those influences but the rules dont apply gospel has no rules unlike jazz and blues they have foundation. you can try to teach thoery on gospel but you never will because you will end up explaining jazz,blues,classical,rock etc gospel is about feel why do you think gospel music evolves so fast and you can do all these chords and stuff in wierd places and stuff like that. No matter how much jazz and blues sound alike there is a box that seperates them. as far as gospel the only thing that seperates gospel from other styles are the words!
keyz 4 life

Offline RMS2003

• LGM Member
    • YouTube Page

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 09:37:54 PM »
I think I agreed with the first 30 seconds of this video but the rest I could not follow at all. I hesitate to say this, but I think I'll take my chances. Nothing turns me off more than when a preacher starts getting into race and this "we are an oppressed people" garbage. That just sickens me to no end. Yes, I realize that was a very bad time in our history and I think we are still seeing the effects of it even today, but it's time to stop using that as an excuse. Maybe I don't understand because I'm white...I don't know. And I'm sorry if what I've said offends anyone here. It wasn't my intention to do so.

Now to address the first 30 seconds of the video. I think I can totally agree here. I came out of a church that allowed the worship services to become so systematic, there just didn't seem to be much room for the spirit. We'd sing our 4 songs, take up an offering, maybe have one special, and then bring the preacher to the pulpit. We'd be dismissed and would be home within the hour. Only the best singers and musicians were used. When I questioned this, I was told to my face that no one else was qualified. There were other circumstances but ultimately I'd just had enough. I didn't know where to turn but I prayed and prayed about it. God led me to a church and I knew right away that was where he wanted me to go. I'm so glad I did. Things have been so much better. We do have somewhat of a program, but God always moves and a lot of times, the program goes out the window.

Offline THE WOLFMAN

• LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009, 10:45:33 PM »
o snap, you're white?

Offline RMS2003

• LGM Member
    • YouTube Page

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2009, 06:16:42 AM »
o snap, you're white?

I guess the cat's outta the bag now! lol  ;D

Offline themidiroom

• LGM Member
  • A genius at work?
    • TMR Studio

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2009, 08:12:25 AM »
I guess the cat's outta the bag now! lol  ;D
;D  :D
http://www.tmrstudio.com
Musical beauty is in the ears of the beholder.

Offline THE WOLFMAN

• LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2009, 08:22:50 AM »
i just figgerd u waz albino with dark hair.

Offline t-jazz

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • http://hitmakersuniverse.com

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2009, 02:09:37 PM »
I agree with the preacher was saying...but i have some reservations about the jazz chords. however i can see how he feels that way. i've been in a service where the musician was using too many jazz chords in the time of worship. So many musicians today don't know how to tune into the spirit while they play and you can hear and feel this. You can learn jazz chords and incorporate them into gospel but u just gotta learn how to give it that gospel feel. I think this video just points out how some have been feeling in the church for some time now! We have singers and musicians full of the devil leading church service. And the church tolerates it because they are good at what they do. As a result there is no healing, no deliverance and test-a-lying. Let alone premeditated shouting and sudden jerks. You got to church and leave the same or worst than when you came.
BLESS GOD

Offline csharp57

• LGM Member
  • Music is life!!!!

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2009, 10:52:54 AM »
This man is preaching!!!!!
"He has anoited me for service"

Offline csharp57

• LGM Member
  • Music is life!!!!

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2009, 11:16:09 AM »

I disagree with your statement.  Gospel is not originally from jazz or R&B.  It gets its roots from the old negro spirituals sung by slaves under oppression.
"He has anoited me for service"

Offline MastahChasa

• LGM Member
  • Back 2 Da Basics
    • Add Me On Facebook (Please mention this site to be accepted because I don't add strangers)

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2009, 08:41:42 AM »
I personally think all music is pure, as far as an emotion goes. Lyrics can pollute any song.Think real hard about what I'm saying. People can hear music and get their own individual interpretation of it. Once lyrics are added, it becomes a more localized thought at which the song is trying to promote.

Do we judge a song from the lyrical content added to it, whether old or new?

Do we dimiss certain songs and samples which we know derive from "secular" music?

I'm also sure that we all have heard a song that has notes from another song that we haven't heard yet.

I will not deny the fact that there is a limit, or some level of respect that we as musicians should have, but where should the line be drawn that establishes that?
A REAL player can adapt in any setting...

Offline seanathan113

• LGM Member

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2009, 10:55:23 PM »
first of all...chords are universal.....the same chords that might be in a r&b song that is in a church song...and jazz is just freedom music...make musicians play outside of a sturctured box...its american music.....our music....just like the eurpoeans have classical......

Offline Pretty_Brit

• LGM Member

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2009, 11:16:18 AM »
back in classical times it was always takin' from the secular world even the hymns.Thats just ignorance :-\

Amen. I believe people need to their research or even take a class. I think some people would be happy if gospel never evolved into what it is today and we still did gregorian chants.

Yet and still as musicians, we need to be mindfull of the way we play our music. I love the Jazz style and the R&B style but if it doesn't glorify God on purpose, I'm listening to it and I'd be insane to play it in a servic.

As big as God is, we need not to put in actual chord progressions from secular songs in our worship. I'm stupid enough to believe that he can give us a style lightyears better that what the world can produce on a good day. God told the people of israel to  get rid of the leaven in their homes as a reminder of what God did for them. In the new testament Jesus told us that leaven represented sin. DON'T PUT THE WORLD IN YOUR WORSHIP AND PRAISE!! In the world not of it.
the will of God will never take you where His grace won't protect you

Offline organman88

• LGM Member

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2009, 08:35:30 PM »

we need not to put in actual chord progressions from secular songs in our worship.
there is no such thing as secular chords or progessions there just chords the same chords we play in gospel are the same chords we play in secular music
keyz 4 life
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up