LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: !!! ALL MUSICIANS PLEASE READ !!!  (Read 17319 times)

Offline MastahChasa

• LGM Member
  • Back 2 Da Basics
    • Add Me On Facebook (Please mention this site to be accepted because I don't add strangers)

Re: !!! ALL MUSICIANS PLEASE READ !!!
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2009, 10:38:08 AM »
there is no such thing as secular chords or progessions there just chords the same chords we play in gospel are the same chords we play in secular music

I STRONGLY AGREE!! If we begin trying to elminate chords because of their association to a musical style, there will not be anything for musicians to play in church or anywhere else.
A REAL player can adapt in any setting...

Offline organman88

• LGM Member
    • Kue Musik Entertainment

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2009, 11:14:21 AM »
I STRONGLY AGREE!! If we begin trying to elminate chords because of their association to a musical style, there will not be anything for musicians to play in church or anywhere else.
agreed also
keyz 4 life

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2009, 02:40:50 PM »
That's not true; there are plenty of chords that are not associated with secular styles that you can use.

like what?

Incognegro

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2009, 02:42:11 PM »
That's not true; there are plenty of chords that are not associated with secular styles that you can use.

A chord is a chord.  Eliminating what chords we can/cannot play because they're "associated with secular styles" is a slippery slope.

I don't agree with incorporating secular SONGS in shout music, talk music, etc, but a chord is a chord.

Offline esmith72372

• LGM Member

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2009, 02:48:30 PM »
All I know is that it's not about us:it's jesus.

Offline organman88

• LGM Member
    • Kue Musik Entertainment

« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2009, 03:08:37 PM »
if that's the case then we can't use basic major and minor triads ?/?
keyz 4 life

Offline Faydah

• LGM Member

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2009, 08:39:48 PM »
Wassup LGM Fam been forever (phone's trippin, not a cpu dude lol) Anyway. I believe the scripture talks about our communication ministering grace to the hearer. We, as musicians like to play it 50 but let's keep it 100 and think about the times where the Holy Ghost/Spirit directs us to play or do this but we wind up conforming to what we think would sound good. We know when its him and to the opposite, when its us injectin a lil bit uh stank into it. I agree with most about the chords. Music is a chain/ cirlce of life type of thing but its the anointing that separates us from the rest. I believe if we function in love (obeying His Command/ments) we will know exactly how and what chords and songs to play. If we get back to the love of our craft, coupled with the unction, the church would run so much smoother. Lastly, like one of the comments said "I'm stupid enough to believe that God can give us a style (not chords) that is out of this world b/c we are out of this world. I refuse to settle. I still don't know how to use my sampler on my Triton after ten yrs lol. (Tryna learn now since I've had it for so long lol). God made music point blank the orgin of classical, rock and so on was from the beginning. Saith the Lor-Tuh:) he aint say nothin ya'll lol.

Offline Metronome

• LGM Member

« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2009, 12:26:34 PM »
Wow...I'm maddddd late on this one...

Gospel LYRICS came from the old days of slavery, singin with no music and all of that.  BUT when the music came in it was blues and r&b influenced because that was like the only style of music we were exposed to so we had to make it do.

To this day the line is still blurred. Listen to a slower quartet song and what do you hear?? Blues, blues and more blues.

Scales have been around forever...so why should we be mad if someone else took basic knowledge of an instrument and applied it to their style first??? That's our fault, not the "worlds".

As far as taking "chords" that has to be one of the funniest things I've ever heard...wow...like a Gm7 wit a 9 is the EXACT same wether its in The Best is Yet to come or Feelin on ya Booty...I've met VERY few skilled musicians who are on that whole 'i can't listen to that devil music' tip...

Bottom line is you should want to be the best at what you do...I know preachers who do studies on Islam and Judaism in order to get a better understanding of the origins of Christianity
Keep It Funky

Offline Metronome

• LGM Member

« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2009, 12:28:31 PM »
Lol sorry..accidentally hit post

But what's the difference in a preacher studying to have a complete understanding and a musician doin that???
Keep It Funky

Offline TheReturn

• LGM Member
  • Me In My ZONE!!!!!

« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2009, 02:20:43 PM »
Okay Okay I think we should clear some things up! Disclaimer: (all of these are going to be out of MY OPINION so I'm not saying if its wrong or right, its just what I THINK!!!) lol

But I think that Prophet Simmons is saying that "CHURCH" musicians shouldn't look to SECULAR sources to influence "CHURCH" music! Since "CHURCH" music should be influenced from GOD! I agree with that only to a certain degree!!!

I feel that MUSICIANS should try to be the BEST MUSICIAN that they can possibly be! No matter what KIND of musician you are (church musician, jazz musician, rock musician, classical musician, etc) You should try to STUDY and learn all types that way you can NATURALLY incorperate all of those different styles into your genera of playing!

Now, I think that "Playing jazz chords during worship service" I dont even with that to a certian degree! What some people may define as "JAZZ" other's may define as "The way I play" Please remember people, you wont like EVERYONE's style of playing; Furthermore, Everyone WONT hold dont a worship service as you think it should be played! So, just roll with it! (unless your over them, of course) lol

Holla
CATRON/TheReturn
TRANSPOSING IS FOR CHEATERS. (thats why i want to quit)

Offline Metronome

• LGM Member

« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2009, 04:00:26 PM »
Okay Okay I think we should clear some things up! Disclaimer: (all of these are going to be out of MY OPINION so I'm not saying if its wrong or right, its just what I THINK!!!) lol

But I think that Prophet Simmons is saying that "CHURCH" musicians shouldn't look to SECULAR sources to influence "CHURCH" music! Since "CHURCH" music should be influenced from GOD! I agree with that only to a certain degree!!!

I feel that MUSICIANS should try to be the BEST MUSICIAN that they can possibly be! No matter what KIND of musician you are (church musician, jazz musician, rock musician, classical musician, etc) You should try to STUDY and learn all types that way you can NATURALLY incorperate all of those different styles into your genera of playing!

Now, I think that "Playing jazz chords during worship service" I dont even with that to a certian degree! What some people may define as "JAZZ" other's may define as "The way I play" Please remember people, you wont like EVERYONE's style of playing; Furthermore, Everyone WONT hold dont a worship service as you think it should be played! So, just roll with it! (unless your over them, of course) lol

Holla
CATRON/TheReturn

I totally agree...but my thing is why some preachers (NOT Prophet Simmons) are so heavy on it?? Like I've seen a whole bunch of messages/sermons with ideas and methods stolen from "secular" things like song lyrics or motivational speakers...
Keep It Funky

Offline TheReturn

• LGM Member
  • Me In My ZONE!!!!!

« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2009, 06:13:26 PM »
I totally agree...but my thing is why some preachers (NOT Prophet Simmons) are so heavy on it?? Like I've seen a whole bunch of messages/sermons with ideas and methods stolen from "secular" things like song lyrics or motivational speakers...

Well I understand what you're saying but I thinkg some preachers are so heavy on it because they dont know any better! Because if the people that down incorporating secular music in church ACTUALLY studied music as a whole (including the church music that they are SOOOOO in love with) they would see that ALL music is a evolution from some other form of music!!! I dont care what anyone says, "Gospel Music" we not created just out of thin air!!! If it did, we all should still be singing hymns and spirituals!!! Honestly, they should be happy that we are taking some of the devils tools and using them agianst him!!!!!!! They were mad when Ray Charles started taking "gospel" music and started using it in a secular manner, why cant they be happy that we're doing the opposite now?!?!?!? But, maybe its just me that thinks like that!!! lol

Holla
CATRON/TheReturn

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2009, 12:33:41 AM »
They were mad when Ray Charles started taking "gospel" music and started using it in a secular manner, why cant they be happy that we're doing the opposite now?!?!?!? But, maybe its just me that thinks like that!!! lol

Holla
CATRON/TheReturn

No matter what you do there will be church folks criticizing you. I guess you cant win.

Offline TheReturn

• LGM Member
  • Me In My ZONE!!!!!

« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2009, 03:55:59 AM »

You do, of course, know that many hymn melodies are derived from folk songs and irish drinking songs, right? Spirituals were originally basically African worship/war chants with Christianized words, but then gradually grew more sophisticated and incorporated the sweet melodic style of hymns and classical music? So you can't even fall back on that. "The Books of the American Negro Spirituals" by James Weldon Johnson is an awesome book. Everyone should read it. It even sheds some light on the topic that we're discussing.

Although different styles of music are related, they're still seperate styles. For example, Rock and Roll is derived from Country, Blues, and Gospel. Does that mean Rock and Roll IS Country Blues and Gospel? Krump dancing is derived from Shout dancing. Does that mean you want to be up in church krumpin'? Although styles of music evolve from each-other, there is a distinction, and there is a line to be crossed.

Personally, I was very annoyed to hear Janet Jackson's "What Have You done For Me Lately?" In the intro to Israel Houghton's "Tradin' My Sorrows" on the "New Season" album, but that's just me.

WOW!!!!! I didnt know that and I will have to do some research on that!!!! Thanks for the info!!!!!!!!

Holla
CATRON/TheReturn

Offline THE WOLFMAN

• LGM Member

« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2009, 10:31:14 PM »
man, israel got NUFF stuff in his joints

in Who is like the lord ya got
-California Love/Tupac(which is really "woman to woman/Joe Croce)

-brass lines from "superstitious/stevie w.

-Rain Dance/Jeff Lorber(better known as "got a crush on you'lil kim"

Offline Metronome

• LGM Member

« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2009, 07:55:36 AM »
Lol about Israel.....(btw the actual Rain Dance is hot)
Keep It Funky

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2009, 10:27:13 AM »
Lol about Israel.....(btw the actual Rain Dance is hot)

Yeah man.

What song does Israel do that in?

Offline Metronome

• LGM Member

« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2009, 10:34:40 AM »
Yeah man.

What song does Israel do that in?

All of those examples are from the same song...its at the end of Who is Like the Lord
Keep It Funky

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2009, 10:42:08 AM »
all in one song? let me check it out.

Offline B3Wannabe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2009, 01:02:36 PM »
I'm late too....

1. There are no chords that are solely used in Gospel. There are probably chords that "haven't" been used, because Jazz is still more complex musically than Gospel. As jazz and blues has evolved, new musicians have also borrowed chords and placed them in new gospel music.

2. Karen Clark's "Sacrifice" is Brady Bunch. That one is CLASSIC!!!

3. The intro for Hezekiah Walker's "Come Home" is taken from Super Mario World. The SNES version, which may be a little old for some of you. ;D ;D
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up