LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HELP ME PICK AN AMP! PLEASE!!!!!!  (Read 1551 times)

Offline namuxtree

• LGM Member

HELP ME PICK AN AMP! PLEASE!!!!!!
« on: June 25, 2009, 05:15:19 PM »
Hey my fellow bassists! I'm facing a predicament here that I'm sure all you guys can relate to. Choosing an amp. Now after extraneous hours of research and testing, i've come to these amps.

1:Gallien Krueger 1001RB
2:Markbass Little Mark II
3:Markbass LMK
4:Markbass TA501

These aren't concrete. I posted this thread to see what you guys like and would want to buy. Try to pick an amp around the same price range as these though. I don't want you guys to get rich on me and start suggesting Epifani's or Edens. :P But let me know what sounds good!

Cast your vote and help a brother out!

P.S. If you're selling one of these, hit me up! Let's talk. :)

-Glenn

Offline godsbassman2000

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Re: HELP ME PICK AN AMP! PLEASE!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 07:58:22 PM »
I can only speak ok the GK 1001rb  which I've had for about 2-3 years. Im very happy with it and I keep it until it dies or I die. :D But you have 4 different amps listed and if someone something positive to say about each (which I sure they can), how will that help you choose one? Have you tried any of them?

I like GK you may hate it. Our bassplayer at church tried out the Little Mark II and liked it.
"You can't glorify God and yourself at the same time"

Offline namuxtree

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 08:05:03 PM »
I have tried both the 1001RB and the Little Mark II. Although it was actually a 700RB (i hear only the power amp is different than the 1001RB), I played it quite a long time ago so I do not clearly remember. I did try the Little Mark II and i loved it. I'm looking for people who've had experience with all of these amp, whether they have owned them or just tried them out it makes no difference to me. Thank you for your input!

Offline DWBass

• LGM Member
  • Make A Joyful Noise!

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 09:46:51 PM »
Well, the Markbass LMK is a 2 channel amp. Not sure if you'd need that. The GK is higher in wattage (700w) overall and much bigger & heavier than the Markbass amps. You may want to add the Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 (600w) to your list. All seem to be reliable. If a couple hundred watts don't mean anything to you, I'd go for the Markbass LMIII (500w).
"Never Leave Home Without Your Groove On" :)

Offline namuxtree

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 10:23:46 PM »
hm...yeah, i knew i was forgetting something! thanks for the shuttle suggestion (this is why i love you guys) just a question I want to throw out there..I tried the little mark II today with the complimentary 410 cab from markbass and I noticed that the highs from that combination of amp and cab were very low...it seemed as if the highs were all cut. I play a Musicman Stingray 5 and I love having a good clear slap tone. Is there someone who can prove me wrong and say it was the cab or a faulty amp? I could've sworn the horn was out but i didnt want to trouble myself. Someone help!

P.S. I tried the SVT 4 pro today...sick....i was blown away.

Offline namuxtree

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 10:25:46 PM »
Well, the Markbass LMK is a 2 channel amp. Not sure if you'd need that. The GK is higher in wattage (700w) overall and much bigger & heavier than the Markbass amps. You may want to add the Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 (600w) to your list. All seem to be reliable. If a couple hundred watts don't mean anything to you, I'd go for the Markbass LMIII (500w).

Put this into perspective (when i did it blew me away), I was thinking the same thing too but my pastor made a suggestion that I can go stereo then blend both signals differently with both EQ's rather than using just one channel. O.O

Offline namuxtree

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 10:42:40 PM »
Btw, What do you guys think of the Aguilar AG500SC? How do you think it stacks up to the other amps?

Offline ddwilkins

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Arsenal!!!!
    • D'Wayne's Spot

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2009, 10:34:00 AM »
Don't forget to check out the used market. I picked up my EDEN head used. Its 14 years old and still going strong. I just changed the original tube last year for the first time.
Keep God first and he'll do the rest!!!

Offline dhagler

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2009, 10:39:19 AM »
Don't forget to check out the used market. I picked up my EDEN head used. Its 14 years old and still going strong. I just changed the original tube last year for the first time.

Cosign. My GK Backline 600 was $200 used on Talkbass, and my Aguilar S410 cab was $250 used on Craigslist.

Offline ddwilkins

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Arsenal!!!!
    • D'Wayne's Spot

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2009, 11:54:42 AM »
The reason I say check the used market is because, when you are dealing with expensive equipment, 99.9% of the time the person who is selling the equipment has taken extreme care of the equipment. You should have seen how my head was shipped to me. The box had more peanuts and bubble wrap than a NASA gravity simulator (I've never seen one, just speculating). Plus, you can get this equipment at great deals and steals. My whole rig was purchased at half price.
Keep God first and he'll do the rest!!!

Offline Steelpulz

• LGM Member
    • gospelbassmusic

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2009, 01:42:24 PM »
I play a 7-string through the Shuttle 6.0. It is very clear and produces nice mids and bottom. Here's a clip. the amp is going through an Avatar B210.

Conklin GTBD-7, Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0, Glasstone Lil G2, Holy Bible

Offline DWBass

• LGM Member
  • Make A Joyful Noise!

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2009, 03:11:27 PM »
Just bought me a GB Shuttle 3.0 for a great price off a Talkbass member. Waiting for it to come in. The deals are there to be had!
"Never Leave Home Without Your Groove On" :)

Offline namuxtree

• LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2009, 06:36:20 PM »
thanks guys for your input. I got myself the Aguilar AG500SC

Offline trsmooth

• LGM Member

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2009, 09:13:25 PM »
thanks guys for your input. I got myself the Aguilar AG500SC

Yessir..lets us know how it sounds. i was going to buy one of those used for $600 but changed my mind... i own and love my Aguilar GS212 cabinet and Tone Hammer preamp but never tried an Aguilar amp head yet.

Pages: [1]   Go Up