LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: $1500 to work with - What should I get?  (Read 2607 times)

Offline faNToMp6aYa

• LGM Member

$1500 to work with - What should I get?
« on: July 01, 2009, 06:43:24 AM »
What's Up all.

I have this krazy passion right now to learn bass guitar.  I've been playin keyboard for just a few years now but i want to start learning bass as well. 

Here's my question:
I want to know what you guys would buy if you had $1500 to spend on both a bass guitar and an amp.

Some options i've been told were:  5-string Tobias with a GK amp

Second thing is:
what is a good practice amp for home use but could also be plugged into a sound system at church that's under $400?

I went to Guitar Center and all they have are Fender, Ampeg, GK and Acoustic bass amps.   Which would you all suggest?

thanks in advance

Offline ddwilkins

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Arsenal!!!!
    • D'Wayne's Spot

Re: $1500 to work with - What should I get?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 07:24:49 AM »
With $1500 I could get more than one bass and an amp. ;D
Keep God first and he'll do the rest!!!

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 08:49:14 AM »
get a Fender MIM Jazz V. 

The last thing you want to do is start bass, spend a bunch of cash, then find out that it's not for you.  Progressively build up your equipment once you get more serious.  With that being said the Fender is no slouch by any means (if you can get your hands on a good one..lol).

As far as amps go I'd get get a GK backline 210 combo.  It's cheap, you can gig with it, and it sounds great.  You really can't ask for more.
Somebody put me in the key of E#

Offline dhagler

• LGM Member

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

Offline dremy2006

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Buckeye burl Hand-made......
    • DR Custom Basses

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 11:44:21 AM »
get a Fender MIM Jazz V.The last thing you want to do is start bass, spend a bunch of cash, then find out that it's not for you.
......With that being said, get you ah SX... cheap.. and pretty good bass.... gk combo will work great.....
Allowing the Creator To use His Creation To Create for you.....

Offline chrismc101

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2009, 07:30:13 AM »
With what I know now, I'll cop me a nice SX bass, and get a nice 4X10 rig set up and be happy as a kid in a candy store. Plus has some left over for a nice used bass.
CeeMc
"bassN4eva"

Offline ddwilkins

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Arsenal!!!!
    • D'Wayne's Spot

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2009, 07:34:07 AM »
With what I know now, I'll cop me a nice SX bass, and get a nice 4X10 rig set up and be happy as a kid in a candy store. Plus has some left over for a nice used bass.

I would squeeze 2 or 3 SX basses and a nice used rig for that price. I love my SX bass.

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2009, 08:16:55 AM »
I'm not a fan of the SX's.

The string spacing is just to narrow for me.

I'm a 19mm and up kind of guy.

Offline ddwilkins

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Arsenal!!!!
    • D'Wayne's Spot

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2009, 08:33:36 AM »
String spacing really doesn't matter to me anymore, just like 34 or 35 scale. I have both and I just role with the punches.

Offline faNToMp6aYa

• LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2009, 07:18:18 PM »
thanks alot fellas for the responses... this is good stuff.  i've never heard of the SX bassline, i'm gonna have to do a little research on that.

it seems you see more fender basses out there (in stores). why is that? is fender the best thing out there? or best for the price?

i'm not sure, but is it the bass amp that i should invest more in or the bass itself? which is more important...

Offline dhagler

• LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2009, 08:08:06 PM »
thanks alot fellas for the responses... this is good stuff.  i've never heard of the SX bassline, i'm gonna have to do a little research on that.

it seems you see more fender basses out there (in stores). why is that? is fender the best thing out there? or best for the price?

i'm not sure, but is it the bass amp that i should invest more in or the bass itself? which is more important...

For SX basses, go to www.rondomusic.net. I actually owned one previous to the Fender that I am now selling.

To answer your first questions, "best" is subjective depending on several factors. Me, I like Fender basses because I like the classic Jazz bass tone. And Rondo makes an excellent Fender clone for a very good price. 

jeremyr was right about not investing too much in your equipment right away.  You can (and should) upgrade once you: (1) decide for certain that bass is for you; (2) develop a more discriminating ear; (3) determine your playing situation and what might be best for it.  I started with a Silvertone 4-string through a 10 watt practice amp four and a half years ago. Paid $275 for the entire ensemble. Now I play a Schecter Studio 5 through a GK Backline 600 with an Aguilar S410 cabinet. I paid almost as much for my cabinet alone as I did the entire starter kit. And in between there were three other basses (still have one) and two other amps (still have one).

One last thing: check the used market. There are more bargains to be had.

Offline Torch7

• LGM Member
    • Gospel Bass Guitar Lessons Site

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2009, 08:41:48 PM »
I agree with most folks, who chimed in... SX or Fender.  The SX spacing is a bit closer than the Fender, but for me its not that big an issue, I have an SX and like it alot.  Just did a bit of setup work myself, and it plays like a Charm.  GK amps are also nice. 

I'm in NY right now, attending a week long Camp Meeting... the bass player is playing a Squier P-Bass through a Hartke rig, and the tone is killing.  I still can't believe the tone he is getting.  It's crazy. So I would suggest play alot of basses and decide on what feels most comfortable to you.

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2009, 09:42:00 PM »
I agree with most folks, who chimed in... SX or Fender.  The SX spacing is a bit closer than the Fender, but for me its not that big an issue, I have an SX and like it alot.  Just did a bit of setup work myself, and it plays like a Charm.  GK amps are also nice. 

I'm in NY right now, attending a week long Camp Meeting... the bass player is playing a Squier P-Bass through a Hartke rig, and the tone is killing.  I still can't believe the tone he is getting.  It's crazy. So I would suggest play alot of basses and decide on what feels most comfortable to you.

dude, where in NY??
For my God... let "Golden Axe" prevail.

Offline Groovesmith

• LGM Member
  • Daddy and his little blessing from God.

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2009, 05:56:29 PM »
I have 2 SX basses and for 400 shipped I would get the MIM fender V.  Might as well get the originator of the SX's cause getting one of those you don't save that much.  SX is nice, sounds good and feels good...but trust Jeremy get the truth. 
Groovesmith

Offline MikeGee

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My wife is over my right shoulder.
    • my out of church band

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2009, 11:20:21 PM »
knowing what I know now and with $1500. I could go places man. I made a few buying errors to  get to where I am now. My best buy is my SWR workingman 2x10 shipped to my door for $130. yes it was a risk to go used and over the internet. Since I did. I am thankful.

For $1500 I could walk out the "STO" with a 5string a head a 2x10 and a 1x15 or a 5string a head and a 4x10.
Pages: [1]   Go Up