LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How many cymbals are too many!  (Read 3704 times)

Offline drummerboyy01

• LGM Member
    • http://www.drummerboyy01@.yahoo.com

How many cymbals are too many!
« on: December 21, 2004, 09:50:48 AM »
I am often told that I have too many cymbals on my kit. I have 2 hi-hats 2 rides 4 10 inch splashes, 2 12 inch, 2 16inch,and 2 18 inch crashes on my set.......I think that's it, anyway I believe that you can never have enough cymbals. I love being surounded by cymbals. What do you think?

Offline sambadrummer

• LGM Member

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2004, 10:56:01 AM »
i really don't think it matters how many cymbals you have, its how they are used. listen, having more cymbals allows you to have more response and texture to your music. especailly crashing with two or more cymbals, it makes it come alive, theirs my response and tone in your style of play. also it looks cool, drummers will see your set and say this brother got good quality..  well keep playing for the Lord, da da dada 8)
Drumming For my Jesus!!!!!!

Offline ddw4e

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Just doing what i do! LOL!

Re: How many cymbals are too many!
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2004, 12:33:34 PM »
Quote from: drummerboyy01
I am often told that I have too many cymbals on my kit.

I have 7 cymbals and I don't get any complaints...so that's y WE shouldn't worry what people think sometimes cause they most of the time don't know what enough cymbals is :lol:  :lol: ...But that's the truth..You paid for them...use them..LOL
MERCY EN!!

Offline will818

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2004, 08:35:21 AM »
i feel it is what kind of style you are playing and where you are playing. In the gospel world i don't feel we need to to many cymbals.

Offline CalKel2

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2004, 09:14:19 AM »
The number of cymbals really isn't as important as how you sound playing them. I've always thought about using an extra set of hats on the right and an extra ride on the left. But unfortunately my pockets weren't as deep as my imagination. More power to you for looking for more ways to add to the music.

Offline waydrummer

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2004, 10:57:05 PM »
If you have the money go by a cymbal, by saying that we don't too many
cymbals in gospel is absurd!  Make your kit look and sound how you want it.  That's what makes every body's kit unique.  Never put a damper on your equipment.

Offline ikickset

• LGM Member
    • myspace

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2004, 12:58:37 PM »
i dont agree with the statement that in gospel u dont need a lot of cymbals. i think your set up should represent who u are. and if a lot of cymbals is what u want, go ahead. i just did a gospel recording. the music is urban praise and worship. i used 4 crashes 2 splashes a ride and hats. and it was comfortable 4 me. we did a dvd too and it looked real good. but depending on the gig and what type of songs im playing is how i determine how many cymbals im gonna use. be blessed!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Pinaro

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2004, 10:07:15 PM »
2 Crashes, 1 Splash, a Ride and a China are Currently sittin on my ChurCh set and dats goin real swell 4 me..i Culd use more but i  thats basiCally  all i need
chris "Daddy" DAve ROCKS!!!
jesus ROX HARDER!!

BROOKLYN

Offline ddw4e

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Just doing what i do! LOL!

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2004, 09:02:30 AM »
Quote from: ikickset
i dont agree with the statement that in gospel u dont need a lot of cymbals. i think your set up should represent who u are. and if a lot of cymbals is what u want, go ahead. i just did a gospel recording. the music is urban praise and worship. i used 4 crashes 2 splashes a ride and hats. and it was comfortable 4 me. we did a dvd too and it looked real good. but depending on the gig and what type of songs im playing is how i determine how many cymbals im gonna use. be blessed!!!!!!!!!!!

What's the name of the DVD and when is it coming out? I would love to get that!!  :D I been playing drums for 18 years...I think I lost my touch a little cause I am more on piano and when I do play drums at my churcch, I have to play str8 and it's a drag...so I need to see someone play...That's exactly how I started playing...Thank God for Television!!! :lol:  :lol:
MERCY EN!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up