LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help Please  (Read 1048 times)

Offline ahmadw

• LGM Member

Help Please
« on: June 25, 2009, 10:41:33 PM »
Whenever im trying to find the key to a song or the key the preacher is in i find myself humming not the key but the melody note why is that can you give me some tips to stop doing that and hear the right notes to hum

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

Re: Help Please
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 08:58:08 PM »
It takes time to really hear the key of a song. Since you like to hum the melody, usually those notes are part of a major scale. So, if u can identify the melody notes with a particular major scale, you will most likely find your key.

Now, I know a lot of major scales contain many of the same notes, but there will usually be one scale that sticks out the most.

Just keep doing what you doing until you can hear the key by ear. Once u know the key, just hit one note on the keyboard and judge if that key u just pressed is higher or lower than the key of the song. Then, zero in on the right key until u get it.
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline ahmadw

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 09:24:43 PM »
ok thanks..im working on developing perfect pitch but i think im tone deaf on the other hand my minister of music has perfect pitch and he could just be sitting down and just hear my pastor talk and tell me what key hes in without touching the keyboard thats where i ultimately want to be

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 09:31:11 PM »
I don't know if you can learn to have perfect pitch. Usually those with perfect pitch are born with it. I'm not saying it's impossible though.

What you can definitely learn is relative pitch. That's the next best thing to perfect pitch. People with strong relative pitch know a lot about intervals. They can tell from pressing one note how far away a certain key is.

Example, let's say they are humming an F. They can press a C on the keyboard and immediately know that the note they need is a 4th away. It takes practice, but it can be developed.
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!
Pages: [1]   Go Up