LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.

Poll

What think you?

We have them at our church...so stop laughing!
1 (4.3%)
Definitely Creepy
1 (4.3%)
Don't get it...SMH...
4 (17.4%)
Reminds me a bit too much of "Bamboozled"
1 (4.3%)
Okay, as long as they minister to people...
16 (69.6%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Gospel Mimes???  (Read 11434 times)

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

Re: Gospel Mimes???
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2009, 12:00:38 AM »
Just out of curiosity, just what IS the *message* you bring to God's people?
When you're in love you don't want to fall asleep bc reality is finally better than your dreams.

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2009, 12:09:58 AM »
I actually mime...and you all's opinions about the ministry of mime doesn't really matter. As long as we get the massage to God's people!

Yall givin back rubs and stuff to the saints?

Offline lordluvr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2009, 12:43:09 AM »

:D :D :D As T-Block would say, man you stoopid.  :D

Offline BigFoot_BigThumb

• LGM Member
  • The Waves SSL 4000 plug-ins. The greatest EVER!!!

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2009, 12:44:40 AM »
I actually mime...and you all's opinions about the ministry of mime doesn't really matter. As long as we get the massage to God's people!

So if this topic had never came up would you have remained a lounge lurker?  Here's your chance to represent.  Please expound. 

I don't want to laugh...........

But I am, VERY loudly.
When you've done your very best, do even better.

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2009, 08:35:36 AM »
Even the ones w/out flags suck. I just don't get it.

Just because you don't 'get it' doesn't mean they suck. The two are exclusive.

If folks can 'think they can dance' or dance 'with stars', etc. then why not dance for the One who created them as well the medium by which they show Him praise and worship?

If it is done well and edifies God's people, I don't have a problem with just about any of it. Just cause I ain't creative in that way doesn't mean that those who are aren't being used by God for His glory.

BTJM.  ;) 8)
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline bassthumpa

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • My blog

« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2009, 08:40:34 AM »
I support good mimes

Is there such a thing?  LOL, I'm kidding.  I don't dig it, but like others said if it ministers to you then knock yourself out I guess.

Offline kingrhollo

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Me & The Boyz

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2009, 09:13:38 AM »
I'm trying to figure out everyone's dislike for mime.  Is it just a preference thing or is it that you believe that nonverbal ministries are unable to communicate the message or be a part of praise?
My Greatest Dreams Don't Compare To God's Plans For Me

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2009, 09:17:25 AM »
I'm trying to figure out everyone's dislike for mime.  Is it just a preference thing or is it that you believe that nonverbal ministries are unable to communicate the message or be a part of praise?

Excellent
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2009, 09:31:08 AM »

1. EVERYONE doesn't have a dislike for mime.  Some (in this thread) said they liked it, some said they didn't.  :-\

2. Personally, mimes have always freaked me out... even before they brought it into the church.  I just don't like it - in OR out of a ministry environment.

3. I dislike the fact that MANY mime "ministries" don't really hone their craft.  That irritates me and turns me off from it even more.  You can't just slap some white paint on your face, throw on some white gloves, pop in a CD, start putting up your hands and making dramatic gestures and facial expressions and call yourself doing mime "ministry."  :-\

Have you ever seen a mime performance (or a praise dance performance) where the track being played ministers to you more than the people dancing or miming?  I have.  :-\  It makes me feel like they could've just played the CD and saved their energy.  :-\

4. I still haven't heard anyone (not on LGM, but in general) explain to me the "ministry" part of it or its Biblical foundation.

FOR THE RECORD: I'm not anti-mime.  I'm not anti-mime in church.  It's just not a preference of mine, and I don't understand it very much.  I'm open to hearing an explanation, though.  Oh, and I definitely believe in "non-verbal" ministries (such as praise dance or ASL interpretation for the hearing impaired).  For me, it's like stepping.  It has its place as an art form, but I'm not sure how it ministers (other than the fact that it gives kids something cool to do in church instead of on the street corner... that gives it a cool point or two, for me).

My name is LaRue1212 and I approved this message.
LaRue1212 for the LGM Grammar Council 2009
When you're in love you don't want to fall asleep bc reality is finally better than your dreams.

Offline kingrhollo

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Me & The Boyz

« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2009, 10:15:00 AM »
Maybe the word EVERYONE (one of those all inclusive words) was not that greatest word to use, but the everyone I was referring to was to the ones who seem to be on the negative side of indifference.  I was just shocked that there was as many people who just didn't care that much for it.  Like I said before, if it's a matter of preference, then fine.  Some people don't like CCM and other don't like Quartet Music...for whatever personal reason, but that's a matter of taste to me. 

But it seems hard for me to seperate mime from other non-verbal ministries, except for ASL.  When done correctly, I see it as a form of dance.  I can understand anyone being turned off by any ministry that poorly does there craft.  An unprepared minister, can be a complete turnoff to some.  I definitely belive that all things should be done with an attitude of excellence.

Also, my question was birthed from the fact that no one had a biblical reason to not care for it.  Seems to me that the large number of poorly trained mimes are hurting the perception of the whole ministry.
My Greatest Dreams Don't Compare To God's Plans For Me

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2009, 10:22:49 AM »
Those flags are symbolic and the colors and fabrics have meaning. (But don't ask me what the meaning is... lol). I once put together a manual for a really big church in Atl for their Worship & Arts Ministry. There was a pretty lengthy section on liturgical dance, flags, and mime stuff. I don't remember any of it but I remember being really impressed by the research they had done and all the scriptural references. That flag stuff is serious business. :-\

If u ever remember what u read, please send it to a brotha cuz I still don't see the meaning of it other than being a distraction.
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline Hasmonean1

• LGM Member
    • HVAC International Parts

« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2009, 10:26:01 AM »
I actually mime...and you all's opinions about the ministry of mime doesn't really matter. As long as we get the message to God's people!

I hear you sister.  Keep on glorifying God In Jesus Name.  Living this life often involves being apart of the minority and representing when others don't understand.  Stay encouraged.

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2009, 10:36:01 AM »
Maybe the word EVERYONE (one of those all inclusive words) was not that greatest word to use, but the everyone I was referring to was to the ones who seem to be on the negative side of indifference.  I was just shocked that there was as many people who just didn't care that much for it.  Like I said before, if it's a matter of preference, then fine.  Some people don't like CCM and other don't like Quartet Music...for whatever personal reason, but that's a matter of taste to me. 

But it seems hard for me to seperate mime from other non-verbal ministries, except for ASL.  When done correctly, I see it as a form of dance.  I can understand anyone being turned off by any ministry that poorly does there craft.  An unprepared minister, can be a complete turnoff to some.  I definitely belive that all things should be done with an attitude of excellence.

Also, my question was birthed from the fact that no one had a biblical reason to not care for it.  Seems to me that the large number of poorly trained mimes are hurting the perception of the whole ministry.

I got you, bruh. 

IRT the part in bold, one might also note that, thusfar, no one has provided Biblical support for this "ministry."  I guess if you consider it a form of dance, then there are plenty of scriptures that will justify mime ministry.  I definitely don't consider it a form of dance.  Not at all.  However, I do realize that some churches' mime groups have incorporated dance into their mime routines (but I think that's often because they don't even know what mime is  :-\ BICBW)  Many of them even perform like dancers with white faces/gloves.  ::)

Ok, I've said enough without having sufficient information on the subject.  I'm heading to do some quick research.

Brittsings87

« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2009, 10:43:48 AM »
I like mimes.  :-\ I actually met K&K Mime they're pretty cool peeps. But I like GOOD mimes, and so far, I've only seen about 1. Everyone else, like Rue said, you might as well have put the CD in.  :-\ It just looks like they're lip singing to me anyways!

As far as liturgical/praise dance........ I think I can get my friend on here (who is a 'professional' praise dancer) explain it to ya'll once and for all!!!! LOL

Offline lordluvr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2009, 10:56:45 AM »
I have nothing against the concept of "gospel" miming.  From what I've seen to date, I do question it's purpose.  I say that because most of the performers I've seen pick a really powerful song to mime to. Then, they simply act out what's being sung.  That's fine, I suppose, but I find myself being drawn in more by the lyrics and/or musicianship than I do the miming. 

On the other hand, I think they might be well placed in a performance with the actual singer.  I can see that having a more dramatic effect. I don't know....

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2009, 11:36:00 AM »
   I dislike the fact that MANY mime "ministries" don't really hone their craft.  That irritates me and turns me off from it even more.  You can't just slap some white paint on your face, throw on some white gloves, pop in a CD, start putting up your hands and making dramatic gestures and facial expressions and call yourself doing mime "ministry."  :-\

True - and the same could be said for a LOT of Praise groups and other Ministries in the church. The whole 'Why try to get any better? That's good enough for church' mindset. Like musicians who won't go over songs before practice or singers who don't want to learn parts :(

...I think that the height of laziness...

Offline ashnic

• LGM Member

« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2009, 12:01:14 PM »
God desires that we praise and honor him with all of our gifts. We serve a colorful, creative, and victorious God. He is not a God of the mundane. So why do so many christians become puzzled when we praise him with dance, flags, and banners?

Offline vtguy84

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Get Covered 4 Life

« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2009, 12:50:20 PM »
My fiancee mimes.  Anybody else got something they'd like to say¿ :D
www.GetCovered4Life.com (Mortgage Protection, Final Expense, Tax Free Retirement)

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2009, 01:07:46 PM »
Dance is okay...what gets me are those streamer things....

?/?

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2009, 01:23:23 PM »
My fiancee mimes.  Anybody else got something they'd like to say¿ :D

Yeah, I do.  See if you can have her explain the ministry purpose to me.  I'd like to be a believer, but thusfar, no one has ever explained it to me.

I like the streamers.  They add life and energy to it, when done well.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up