LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.

Poll

What think you?

We have them at our church...so stop laughing!
1 (4.3%)
Definitely Creepy
1 (4.3%)
Don't get it...SMH...
4 (17.4%)
Reminds me a bit too much of "Bamboozled"
1 (4.3%)
Okay, as long as they minister to people...
16 (69.6%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Gospel Mimes???  (Read 11315 times)

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

Re: Gospel Mimes???
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2009, 01:24:23 PM »
Oh, that last part was for Betnich. I forgot to quote.

My name is LaRue1212 and I approved this message.
LaRue1212 for the LGM Grammar Council 2009
When you're in love you don't want to fall asleep bc reality is finally better than your dreams.

Offline nessalynn77

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Inspirational Contemplation

« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2009, 01:31:39 PM »
Yall givin back rubs and stuff to the saints?

I knew that was coming.

I think a real mime ministry can be good, I actually enjoy them.  I think some of us people of color are confused as to what a mime is, and tend to just praise dance with white make up and gloves on, LOL.  The art of miming out the song is pretty cool to me, and like someone said, very few can do it well. 

But that goes for praise dance, too.  Every little preteen that likes to jump and twirl cannot coreograph a praise dance.  I think a lot of them under the right instruction can do it well, especially if they learn what it truly means to minister through performing arts, and allow God to use them in the service.  That means appropriate song selections and ATTIRE.  If the kids are 7 - 9 years old, leave out the songs about money being low and bills are due, lol!  Let them do something about praising and lifting up the name of God, stuff that is a true testimony for them at their age.  Shoot that goes for kids choirs, too.

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2009, 02:52:00 PM »
From my little experience with the miming, it's all bout giving a visual for the words. Some people can understand stuff better when they see it. For example:

In the song "Sinking" by Tye Tribbett, there's the part where he sings "...sinking so deeeep in sin.." Now, u can relate to sinking in sin w/out a visual. But, if u see someone actual sinking down to the ground, it takes that song to a whole new level of understanding cuz u got the visual.

That's the basic idea IMO. There may be some ultra-deep purpose for it, but I don't know what it could be.
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2009, 02:53:40 PM »
To add to that, mimers by trade don't talk, they act out. So, true mimers shouldn't be lip-singing the words while miming. If u can't tell what's happeneing by their movements, they have IMO failed as a mimer.

Offline nessalynn77

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2009, 03:22:45 PM »
Good stuff, T.  LOL at the mimer fail :D :D

Offline sistagurl

• LGM Member
    • Facebook

« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2009, 04:11:57 PM »
I really don't care for mimes,or dramatizations, or praise dancing....

Unless, it's interesting enough to keep me watching. I hate it when they do the same thing over, and over, and over again.

I guess the gospel mimes are better because it's almost like it's not choreographed. And the movements are stronger. At least the ones I've seen.  But I still don't care to see it if it's my choice...

Offline SirTJ

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2009, 04:16:28 PM »
I really don't care for mimes,or dramatizations, or praise dancing....

Same here. It just seems to me like they all be doing the same thing. Leap, Leap, Twirl, Wave your hands, twirl, repeat.

But if it's ministering, then keep on trucking, I reckon.

Offline nessalynn77

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2009, 04:20:49 PM »
Same here. It just seems to me like they all be doing the same thing. Leap, Leap, Twirl, Wave your hands, twirl, repeat.

But if it's ministering, then keep on trucking, I reckon.
LOL, this reminded me of the night a friend of mine was on to do a praise dance for women's night.  Fortunately, Sunday night services are not very well attended, and are pretty much amateur night for singers, dancers and fledgling speakers, lol.  But this chick, hadn't practiced anything by Sunday after morning service, and instead of backing out, she went home and threw something together, which of course she didn't really remember when she got up there, and it showed.  I can't remember the song, but it was one of those that keeps repeating the same thing over and over and over, and she kept doing the same thing over and over, and it was just like kicks and hand gestures from side to side.  I was embarrassed for her, lol!  Too bad she wasn't embarrassed for herself, the next time she did the same thing!  Why she even made it on the program the 2nd time I'll never know, lol.

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2009, 04:22:46 PM »
LOL, this reminded me of the night a friend of mine was on to do a praise dance for women's night.  Fortunately, Sunday night services are not very well attended, and are pretty much amateur night for singers, dancers and fledgling speakers, lol.  But this chick, hadn't practiced anything by Sunday after morning service, and instead of backing out, she went home and threw something together, which of course she didn't really remember when she got up there, and it showed.  I can't remember the song, but it was one of those that keeps repeating the same thing over and over and over, and she kept doing the same thing over and over, and it was just like kicks and hand gestures from side to side.  I was embarrassed for her, lol!  Too bad she wasn't embarrassed for herself, the next time she did the same thing!  Why she even made it on the program the 2nd time I'll never know, lol.

Co. me. dy.  :D :D :D :D
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline Hasmonean1

• LGM Member
    • HVAC International Parts

« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2009, 10:21:31 PM »
GOOD   BAD     OR UGLY

http://www.youtube.com/v/VbCbRBYFHy8&hl=en&fs=1

NOTE: They were screaming aftrwards.

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2009, 11:31:00 PM »
:D :D :P :D :D

See, this is what I'm talking about...almost as if mime was something being used to keep the youth occupied vs. a REAL ministry. LOL at 'the Eagle using his wings'!

BTW, what is a Mime FAIL? When they can't escape their invisible box?
?/?

Offline vtguy84

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Get Covered 4 Life

« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2009, 06:14:36 AM »

This is a mime at the church my fiancee and I go to in Roanoke VA.  She is the one 2nd to the right who has the 2nd solo.

Mime at our church is part of the Creative Ministry Arts department, which is comprised of dance, mime, and drama.  I will say that I have seen some wack mimes in my day but when it is done well, it gives me chills (and it takes a lot to move me at times). 

I was having a conversation with somebody the other day who was saying that he didn't care for the flag people at his service.  I explained that ministry has to reach several target audiences.  I, on one hand, am looking solely at the choir and the attire.  If the choir is jacked, I am thrown off, regardless of whatever is going on at the same time.  Some people enjoy the 'flaggers'/praise dancers because they love the whole production, where there's singing and dancing and lyrics to read. 
www.GetCovered4Life.com (Mortgage Protection, Final Expense, Tax Free Retirement)

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2009, 08:30:52 AM »
Ok, I just don't like mime, period.  Like I said earlier in the thread, I didn't like it before it came to church and I don't like it now.  I don't have a "spiritual" reason, it's just not my preference... like I don't like cherry-flavored candy or medicine, Mercedes Benzes, or George W. Bush.  :-\

With that said, I gotta give credit where it's due.  This group (in the YouTube) is GOOD.  And it definitely appears that they have studied the art of mime and know what it's supposed to be, as opposed to just slapping on some paint and gloves and calling themselves a mime ministry.  ::)  I can appreciate that.  (I'm sure it helps that I love that song... lol).  And the future Mrs. VTG was awesome! I'm impressed.

Good stuff, VTG.

When you're in love you don't want to fall asleep bc reality is finally better than your dreams.

Offline vtguy84

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Get Covered 4 Life

« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2009, 09:37:05 AM »
Ok, I just don't like mime, period.  Like I said earlier in the thread, I didn't like it before it came to church and I don't like it now.  I don't have a "spiritual" reason, it's just not my preference... like I don't like cherry-flavored candy or medicine, Mercedes Benzes, or George W. Bush.  :-\

With that said, I gotta give credit where it's due.  This group (in the YouTube) is GOOD.  And it definitely appears that they have studied the art of mime and know what it's supposed to be, as opposed to just slapping on some paint and gloves and calling themselves a mime ministry.  ::)  I can appreciate that.  (I'm sure it helps that I love that song... lol).  And the future Mrs. VTG was awesome! I'm impressed.

Good stuff, VTG.

That's why I picked this song.  Thanks for the compliment.  Tiffany strives for excellence and will not participate in things if they are jacked.   
www.GetCovered4Life.com (Mortgage Protection, Final Expense, Tax Free Retirement)

Offline lordluvr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2009, 09:41:28 AM »
As usual, good stuff, VT.

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2009, 09:42:29 AM »
That's why I picked this song.  Thanks for the compliment.  Tiffany strives for excellence and will not participate in things if they are jacked.   

I like her already.  ;) :D Can't wait to get home to check it out.
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2009, 09:53:59 AM »
They did good. IMO it was just as much praise dancing as it was miming.

Offline Joshorgan

• LGM Member
  • Watch what you think. Mean what you say.

« Reply #57 on: July 14, 2009, 12:31:22 PM »
Me and my brother actually used to mime WAY BACK WHEN HARDLY ANYBODY WAS DOING IT. ;D FUN TIMES. I think it was from the years of 1995 to about 1999. WE would be asked to minister in Mime all the time and I enjoyed every second of it. I was 9 and he was 10 but we were VERY WELL POLISHED. We would practice doing this about 3-4 hours a day and then practice our instruments afterwards. IT TAKES ALOT to be a good mime. First of all one has to be a master manipulator of physical space. You can't be up there making sloppy uncoordinated movements. For example if one is acting like they are pulling rope the audience must be able to actually visualize an invisible rope in your hands. Your movements have to have WEIGHT behind them if there is such a thing. You can't have spaghetti or weightless arms but yet you can't be stiff at the same time.  It was actually VERY HARD to get good at it but I have seen lately alot of UNPOLISHED Mimers ministering to people.(As others have said). I think people do not take the ministry as seriously as they should. THERE IS A TECHNIQUE. K & K Mime were the originators of gospel mime and they were the best that I have seen to this day.

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #58 on: July 14, 2009, 12:36:02 PM »
BTW, what is a Mime FAIL? When they can't escape their invisible box?
?/?

A mime FAIL to me is when they can't convey a particular message through action alone. If they have to talk or mouth out the words, they have failed to fulfill the job of a mime.

Offline vtguy84

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Get Covered 4 Life

« Reply #59 on: July 14, 2009, 03:22:33 PM »
As usual, good stuff, VT.

Thanks, I'll be sure to let the team know.

I like her already.  ;) :D Can't wait to get home to check it out.

She got it from me. ;)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up