LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Do you have a big ego??  (Read 17709 times)

Offline DetroitB3

• LGM Member
  • Playing in the key of life
    • http://

Do you have a big ego??
« on: July 14, 2009, 11:05:26 PM »
 Question: To the musicians, singers , athletes, entertainers on here, How much of a percentage of what you do is for the love of the craft and how much of it is for the wow factor/ praise that you will get once you reach a certain level of greatness? Is it wrong to want the praises of the masses when you're in the showbiz field? How much does that drive u?

I ask this question after having a nice discussion with a friend...I told her that one of the reasons I got into playing music was for the adulation and praises of others once I reached a certain level of expertise. Not that this was the sole driving force behind the many hours of practice over the years, but it does play a substantial percentage into the whole scheme of why I got into the music field. I know the love of the craft is always number 1, but is it wrong to look for the praises of others when you know you're doing something great?  ?/?

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Re: Do you have a big ego??
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 11:30:37 PM »
Praise can be a drug...so good, so addictive...best to pass what you get on to the Lord.

Offline fretai03

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Fatso
    • My Youth

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 11:45:37 PM »
There is a problem with your theory, see below.

Offline DetroitB3

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 11:56:19 PM »
Praise can be a drug...so good, so addictive...best to pass what you get on to the Lord.

I agree..if you get too much of anything , it can become a drug to you. I think it's only natural for us , who were created in God's image to cherish approval and even praise. From the time most of us were born, whenever we'd do something good we'd get praised by our parents for accomplishing said goal..whether it be walking, talking, riding a bike etc..

I just think it's good to have balance when it comes to why you're doing what you love to do ...

I don't play solely Gospel music so sometimes the music isn't as spiritual to me and I can't pass the praises to God because it's not music that he'd approve of necessarily....so when I'm doing secular gigs, one of my sole reasons for doing what I'm doing, besides the money and love of playing , is for the crowd and the way they react to what it is that I'm doing.

Offline diligent-hands

• LGM Member
  • NEW SINGLE (60 SECOND PRAYER)

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 11:58:14 PM »
that video disturbed me BIG TIME!!!  lol

Offline DetroitB3

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 12:00:51 AM »

lol that's why i opted not to view said video

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 12:05:12 AM »
There is a problem with your theory, see below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKmfrpyl2jw

Thats our choir director!  :o :o

Offline fretai03

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Fatso
    • My Youth

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 12:49:06 AM »

You mean you watched the whole thing?  :-X

Thats our choir director!  :o :o

I'm praying for ya choir. We need an LGM prayer vigil asap!

On topic: I always stop myself short & pray when I feel the ego spirit come on. I admit, I don't always win. Praise only belongs to God - noone else.

What I do think is valid in this discussion is at least having confidence in your abilities/talents and be unashamed to deliver with no excuses or unmoved by the praise & adulation etc.

What I've found is that kind of mentality & attitude is usually found in real musicians... who are few & far between.

Offline BigFoot_BigThumb

• LGM Member
  • The Waves SSL 4000 plug-ins. The greatest EVER!!!

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 01:36:27 AM »
Naw, I don't have a big ego.  I'm too good, too important, and too fly to have a big ego.  I'm just waiting on my own reserved parking space and a full-time drum tech at church then I'll be straight.

When you've done your very best, do even better.

Offline musician4life

• LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 12:05:22 PM »
My ego is humongous and I need help.

Offline musician4life

• LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 12:10:36 PM »
My ego is humongous and I need help.

...and Cherri's ego is ten times the size of mine. She and I attended a Chris Coleman clinic, and she signed a picture of herself and gave it to HIM.

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2009, 12:22:29 PM »
Question: To the musicians, singers , athletes, entertainers on here, How much of a percentage of what you do is for the love of the craft and how much of it is for the wow factor/ praise that you will get once you reach a certain level of greatness? Is it wrong to want the praises of the masses when you're in the showbiz field? How much does that drive u?

I ask this question after having a nice discussion with a friend...I told her that one of the reasons I got into playing music was for the adulation and praises of others once I reached a certain level of expertise. Not that this was the sole driving force behind the many hours of practice over the years, but it does play a substantial percentage into the whole scheme of why I got into the music field. I know the love of the craft is always number 1, but is it wrong to look for the praises of others when you know you're doing something great?  ?/?

It is when one keeps the praise to themselves and does NOT deflect it back to God. After all, He's the one who gave you your ability.
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline Jedi3

• LGM Member
  • "Do or do not. There is no try."

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2009, 12:33:23 PM »
Satan got kicked out of Heaven for wanting to be on shine street all the time.  You need to be careful with that and remember where your gift came from and to whom it belongs.  Further, your love of the craft is never "number 1," your love for Him is.

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2009, 12:57:03 PM »
Satan got kicked out of Heaven for wanting to be on shine street all the time.  You need to be careful with that and remember where your gift came from and to whom it belongs.  Further, your love of the craft is never "number 1," your love for Him is.

Mind if I borrow that?
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline BEATBOXERZ

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2009, 03:43:01 PM »

Yeah man. That's a good word...

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2009, 04:07:37 PM »
Naw, I don't have a big ego.  I'm too good, too important, and too fly to have a big ego.  I'm just waiting on my own reserved parking space and a full-time drum tech at church then I'll be straight.

You mean the kind that says "Drummer's Parking Only, Don't even THINK about leaving your car here!!!"

:D :D :D

But more seriously - maybe I'm less afraid of not getting praise/recognition than I am of being unappreciated/taken for granted...as in, "oh, yes, betnich will do that" without even taking the trouble to ASK me first...

:(

Offline dude-on-drums

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • www.kevinhayden.net
    • Kevin Hayden

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2009, 04:17:32 PM »
Its very simple.  If you practice your butt off to achieve a certain level of musicianship, you deserve praise.  I dont know if you should be looking for it but, if it comes, be very happy and humble to receive it.

On the flip side, if God has blessed you with a talent that cannot be improved through physical practice or hard work, then you should forward all praise to God.  An example of this would be delivering a prophetic word.

This might sound a little weird but you have to be careful even when you give God praise.  To the wrong person, it can make you look arrogant, as if you dont do any physical work or practice to achieve execellence, implying that youre just, "blessed to be that good."  But of course, to us, its just an attempt to stay humble, right?   ?/?

Offline BigFoot_BigThumb

• LGM Member
  • The Waves SSL 4000 plug-ins. The greatest EVER!!!

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2009, 04:42:01 PM »
You mean the kind that says "Drummer's Parking Only, Don't even THINK about leaving your car here!!!"

:D :D :D

But more seriously - maybe I'm less afraid of not getting praise/recognition than I am of being unappreciated/taken for granted...as in, "oh, yes, betnich will do that" without even taking the trouble to ASK me first...

:(

On the real, I don't need recognition so to speak because I don't play for that reason(at least not anymore).  I have a job to do, so I do it, get my money, thank God for the opportunity and bounce.  I'm the kind of cat that will disappear during breaks and after the gig is over while everybody else is shaking hands and hob-nobbing with the chicks(yes, even at church). 

Plus, if you still gotta tote your own gear around, you aint got room for an ego. 
When you've done your very best, do even better.

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2009, 04:58:46 PM »
Is praise worship?
And if so, who gets that?

Offline j_kay

• LGM Member

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2009, 06:00:57 PM »
Ay fretai03, you guys okay with the tsunami watch/warning?
~ This thread is beyond hijacked - it's been kidnapped... ~
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up