LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: No seriously...What do you want?  (Read 1558 times)

Offline Hotsticks1

• LGM Member
  • Welcome to my world...
    • Myspace

No seriously...What do you want?
« on: July 30, 2009, 12:35:23 AM »
What's good LGM. I been super bored lately so I've been  reading through a lot of these posts, and I've been noticing some comments that have really been agitating me...

"All sheds are the same, because no one thinks out of the box or does anything fresh"

"A lot of chops are the same...just fast singles and doubles"

"No one's doing anything that hasn't already been done before"

Now I'm not calling out any names or putting anyone on blast but it seems as if people seem to think that a lot of what's going on in the drumming world is getting "repetitive". All I'm looking for is explanation and elaboration.

Why do you feel this way about it?...What would you do that's so different and out of the box?...And what do you think it is that's holding musicians back from thinking the way you do?...

Guys I'm not trying to start any trouble...I just want to know for myself, and maybe help out someone else having the same questions, so that we can all absorb it and get better, and possibly change the face of drumming...
"If thine enemy wrong thee...Buy each of his children a drum"

Offline musician4life

• LGM Member

Re: No seriously...What do you want?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 07:28:36 AM »
All musician's are repetitive. A shed merely empties your "bag of tricks" sooner than a gig would, because of what most sheds are about.

Offline momuzik

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 07:52:05 AM »
All musician's are repetitive. A shed merely empties your "bag of tricks" sooner than a gig would, because of what most sheds are about.

I've never been to a shed. What are most sheds really about?

Offline teflonminds88

• LGM Member
  • All fun and games...

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 12:26:27 PM »

Every shed I've been to seems to be about showing what you've been practicing, sharing ideas, and seeing how creative you can be in the given situation. Is there a competitive air...uh yeah, but I've noticed that it only occurs for like the first portion of the shed, or when there is a "newcomer".
"Give them the truth, so they approach the situation with ammunition."

Offline 3rd-Day

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 12:49:20 PM »

Some "sheds" can be big waste of time if the only thing you walk away with is a headache and overkill from the "Wow Factor".  BTJM!  But......

A shed for me is sitting at my instrument and committing myself to practicing. If I say that "I am shedding" then thats what I am doing.

A shed was usually refered to as a place to administer disciplne.

A Masterclass is a period of instruction given to students of a particular discipline by an expert of that discipline. Master classes for musical instruments tend to focus on the finer details of attack, tone, phrasing, and overall shape, and the student is expected to have complete control of more basic elements such as rhythm and pitch

A jam session is a musical act where musicians gather and play (or simply "jam") without extensive preparation or predefined arrangements; improvisation. Jam sessions may be based upon existing songs or forms, may be loosely based on an agreed chord progression or chart suggested by one participant, or may be wholly improvisational. Jam sessions can range from very loose gatherings of amateurs to sophisticated improvised recording sessions intended to be edited and released to the public.

In my opinion a good shed is a combination of both a Masterclass and Jam Session.

Im too tall to act small.
Pages: [1]   Go Up