LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Do you have a big ego??  (Read 17728 times)

Offline DetroitB3

• LGM Member
  • Playing in the key of life
    • http://

Re: Do you have a big ego??
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2009, 06:01:33 PM »
Its very simple.  If you practice your butt off to achieve a certain level of musicianship, you deserve praise.  I dont know if you should be looking for it but, if it comes, be very happy and humble to receive it.

On the flip side, if God has blessed you with a talent that cannot be improved through physical practice or hard work, then you should forward all praise to God.  An example of this would be delivering a prophetic word.

This might sound a little weird but you have to be careful even when you give God praise.  To the wrong person, it can make you look arrogant, as if you dont do any physical work or practice to achieve execellence, implying that youre just, "blessed to be that good."  But of course, to us, its just an attempt to stay humble, right?   ?/?

Good stuff. I agree , sometimes people do use the 'It's God' thing to brush people off or show fake humility/modesty...I know this is very common practice in the church world when you compliment someone on their craft..they automatically brush it off as if what they're doing is nothing and anyone can do it without much practice.

I guess praise may be a bad choice of a word to use but it seems like in every profession where you're entertaining a crowd of people , they then have an awards celebration to compliment you on how well you do your particular gift/talent.

Playing 'gospel' music and being in church is a total different monster in itself...I know many a people have a problem with them even having Gospel awards show to pay homage to people who have done great ...

To me, it's only human to seek recognition and words of affirmation and praise  from your peers ..not to the point where it's what drives you, solely ..but it does play a role in the whole scheme of things. IMHO

Offline kodacolor

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2009, 06:46:50 PM »
Not to sound arrogant, but if I never get another compliment on my playing I'll be straight.  Yet, I feel that I do have an issue with recieving praise for my playing.  I usually take on the "aw shucks," demeanor.  Not even 1 minute after I go through all that I think, "DANG!  I should have redirected that to God."  From there I'll pray and for forgiveness and give the praise to the Lord. 

Now that I think about it when it comes to redirecting the praise to God I don't really know what I would say.  :-\  I don't want to sound cocky, and I don't want to sound like I'm just saying it to say it.  Hmmm....

Offline DetroitB3

• LGM Member
  • Playing in the key of life
    • http://

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2009, 06:48:27 PM »
Not to sound arrogant, but if I never get another compliment on my playing I'll be straight.  Yet, I feel that I do have an issue with recieving praise for my playing.  I usually take on the "aw shucks," demeanor.  Not even 1 minute after I go through all that I think, "DANG!  I should have redirected that to God."  From there I'll pray and for forgiveness and give the praise to the Lord. 

Now that I think about it when it comes to redirecting the praise to God I don't really know what I would say.  :-\  I don't want to sound cocky, and I don't want to sound like I'm just saying it to say it.  Hmmm....

Lol " rock and a hard place" ..I guess a simple thanx will more than suffice.

Offline kodacolor

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2009, 06:55:00 PM »

Lol " rock and a hard place" ..I guess a simple thanx will more than suffice.

That's what always gets me though.  I say, "thanks," but I feel like I should be saying something else along with that to acknowledge God.  Maybe it's just pressure I'm putting on myself.

Offline dude-on-drums

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • www.kevinhayden.net
    • Kevin Hayden

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2009, 09:51:48 PM »
That's what always gets me though.  I say, "thanks," but I feel like I should be saying something else along with that to acknowledge God.  Maybe it's just pressure I'm putting on myself.

Yeah I think a simple "thank you" is enough.  There is absolutely nothing godly about being good on an instrument.  In fact, if you look at the background of the most influential musicians of our time, you will find that there is nothing spiritual about them yet most spiritual musicians look up to them, skill wise. 

Urban gospel musicianship is more of a culture to me.  Something you have to be born in to obtain the true authentic feel.  Whoa that last sentence sounded very COGIC lololol!  My roots are surfacing lol.  For your unique sound and approach, its ok to give credit to the culture you grew up in.  For your skill level, its ok to give credit to the hard work and study you have put in.  But unless you can say, "I was'nt trying to be a musician" or  "I actually hated music as a kid" or "God just woke me up one day and offered me this great talent, and I accepted it," then I dont think its a proper response to give God glory in place of a simple "thank you."

Offline Da_Drumma

• LGM Member
    • Da' Drumma on Myspace

« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2009, 06:47:58 AM »
I mean I see it as this...in a church/gospel/worship session, whatever you want to call it there is a place where skill, and talent is enough. Although from the outside it may seem that way, thats only half the battle. In ministry we all know there is only one purpose, and one purpose only..either way you look at it, and in order to be effective you must have the other half, which is the anointing. Some people may be talented, and skillful, but have no anointing. On Tye's Victory album he was talking about skill v.s. anointing. You have to understand that it is the true power of God that destroys the strongholds in peoples lives. It is his divine power that breaks yolks, set people free, and bring his children to life. You cant do it by yourself point blank...you need God's anointing. Thats why building, and establishing a stable relationship is so important. So I say when out shedding, or general playing, then hey...do what you do....but when serving God, all glory and honor is truly due to him, for without him, these things wouldnt be possible.......

Offline musician4life

• LGM Member

« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2009, 08:27:28 AM »

Yeah I think a simple "thank you" is enough.  There is absolutely nothing godly about being good on an instrument.  In fact, if you look at the background of the most influential musicians of our time, you will find that there is nothing spiritual about them yet most spiritual musicians look up to them, skill wise. 

Urban gospel musicianship is more of a culture to me.  Something you have to be born in to obtain the true authentic feel.  Whoa that last sentence sounded very COGIC lololol!  My roots are surfacing lol.  For your unique sound and approach, its ok to give credit to the culture you grew up in.  For your skill level, its ok to give credit to the hard work and study you have put in.  But unless you can say, "I was'nt trying to be a musician" or  "I actually hated music as a kid" or "God just woke me up one day and offered me this great talent, and I accepted it," then I dont think its a proper response to give God glory in place of a simple "thank you."

Whew!

Potna, you know someone is going to take issue with what you just said! But, you seem more than capable of defending your point of view.

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2009, 08:57:31 AM »
I mean I see it as this...in a church/gospel/worship session, whatever you want to call it there is a place where skill, and talent is enough. Although from the outside it may seem that way, thats only half the battle. In ministry we all know there is only one purpose, and one purpose only..either way you look at it, and in order to be effective you must have the other half, which is the anointing. Some people may be talented, and skillful, but have no anointing. On Tye's Victory album he was talking about skill v.s. anointing. You have to understand that it is the true power of God that destroys the strongholds in peoples lives. It is his divine power that breaks yolks, set people free, and bring his children to life. You cant do it by yourself point blank...you need God's anointing. Thats why building, and establishing a stable relationship is so important. So I say when out shedding, or general playing, then hey...do what you do....but when serving God, all glory and honor is truly due to him, for without him, these things wouldnt be possible.......
Somebody's about to call you 'super spiritual'.  ::)Whatever that means
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline Da_Drumma

• LGM Member
    • Da' Drumma on Myspace

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2009, 09:59:16 AM »
Somebody's about to call you 'super spiritual'.  ::)Whatever that means

I'm expecting it..waiting on it!!!

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2009, 10:01:12 AM »
I'm expecting it..waiting on it!!!

Good luck to you, sir.   :D
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline Da_Drumma

• LGM Member
    • Da' Drumma on Myspace

« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2009, 10:14:28 AM »
Good luck to you, sir.   :D

I will be good, I stand firm on what I believe..so I dont let everything bother me!!!  (Anymore) ;D But I'm always ready for battle.

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2009, 10:16:51 AM »
I will be good, I stand firm on what I believe..so I dont let everything bother me!!!  (Anymore) ;D But I'm always ready for battle.

;) :)

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2009, 03:56:26 PM »
And IMO Tye and GA's 'Victory Live' recording was better than their previous studio effort largely because of God's presence in that live church service...

Offline ojay16

• LGM Member

« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2009, 12:14:14 AM »
There is a problem with your theory, see below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKmfrpyl2jw

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!! The worst video I've ever seen..LOL!

Offline cordney

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • We will meet again!!!

« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2009, 05:56:18 AM »
*walks in singing Beyonce's Big Ego*

Honestly, I think I fell into this category as a teenager.  I thought I was better than everyone..lol.  Then one day I had someone put me in my place.  From that point on, I have never had an ego issue.

P.S.  On the football field, it's a different story!!!
‎"It is okay to fail, it is unacceptable to become a failure"

Offline L.V.Drumma

• LGM Member

« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2009, 12:34:50 PM »
Now imma be honest, sometimes I do look for ppl to tell me I did a good job. It makes me feel good to know that my practice is payin' off, mainly from musicians because even when you know u sucked the people in the congregation will tell you that you did a good job. I don't do it in a sense to where I want to hear it to be like yeah I beasted tonight and all eyes on me. I hate when musicians are arrogant or cocky. But I do need to remember to forward that praise back to God because He's the one that gave me the gift in the first place. Everybody in the world don't have the gift of music because either they simply can't catch on or God doesnt want certain ppl to play because that's not one of their callings. So we need to thank God and forward the praise when we get it.

Offline b_jizzle20

• LGM Member
    • MY MUSIC

« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2009, 12:19:11 AM »
To me, just a simple "thank you" will suffice. After all you did put in work enough to reach that level of recognition.

Offline LittleDrummerBoyy

• LGM Member

« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2009, 06:58:07 PM »
I my Option i think its a difference in being praise and having a big ego problem its not a problem of being praise from time to time it make us feel good its saying that its somebody out there that enjoys ur playing thats the human part of us,Ego man i no alot of musician(drummers,keyboard,bass player,etc)that have ego problems like if ur not on there level u not even worthy of talking 2 them, like if i don't have chops out this world u can't say whats up 2 me,in todays world of musician its like we battle each other so much 2 be top dog its crazy u have 2 do something off the wall now just 2 be reconized as a decent drummer. its alot of people that love my playing and its some thats says he alright

Offline jhaynes

• LGM Member

« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2009, 10:12:47 AM »
Well if you guys don't mind me pouring for a second hopefully I can help shine a little light on this subject.

No matter what style of music or enviroment you play in from church to stadiums "Ego's" are never neccessary but if your going to have one just know these rule's..........
"Ego's"
1. Are earned not given!!!!!!!

2. It takes you being more than just good.

3. If your resume doesn't match your "Ego" then you have no reason to have one.

4. The people determine how good you are so its dangerous to give that kind of power to people that does not really know you, because they could easily confuse you confidence with arrogance.

5. "Praise & Blame is all the same"

6. Most people have "Ego's" because they've either been embarrassed in public and the insecurities have caused them to develope an ego to protect them from repeating that moment.

7. You can be successful with one. But no one will really like you. They'll just "Tolerate " you because they just want your gift or talent and that won't last long.

8. The guy with the "Ego" doesn't really realize he's living a bubble with his own cheering section in his head and his or her crew going everywhere with him or her to scream the loudest when him or her plays or sings!

9. Nothing wrong with saying "Thank You" and its nothing wrong with giving GOD the glory and honor for the gift or talent he's given you. NOTHING AT ALL!!!!!!!! Don't feel weird about that, and it doesn't make you super spiritual doing that. God gave the gift or talent BUT!!!! its your job to polish it and make people love it! NOTHING WRONG WITH BEING GOOD AND CONFIDENT AT WHAT YOU DO!!!!!!!! Just don't take it to the head homie!

10. Stop it with the "Ego's" nobodies really checking for you like that. Do what you do, always be nice to people, take the time to talk to people who think your great, remember the GOD made you famous not your playing, play and sit down, stop all that walking around after you play or sing "We know you exist!"

And last and certainly not the least.
THE GOLDEN RULE!!!!!!!
THEIRS ALWAYS SOMEBODY BETTER THAN YOU!!!!!!!!! And it's always the guy you never thought would be. STAY HUMBLE FELLAS ITS THE ONLY WAY UP! Can't have an "Ego" if all your doing is playing at musicals, and jazz clubs. You haven't touch 1% of the world with what your doing! Take pride in those moments by making the people whom your working for or playing or singing for the greatest, funest most musical moments. Do your job and do it well. Because the greatest compliment is when you keep getting invited back!!!!!!! Use those moments in the lazz spots and musicals to become shaper, smarter, better and more sociable to others. And I promise you you'll go far. The world is waiting for you but, you must be ready mentally not just  musically! Playing music is 90% mental and 10% physical.
Love you guys! 

Offline Da_Drumma

• LGM Member
    • Da' Drumma on Myspace

« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2009, 11:07:01 AM »
Well if you guys don't mind me pouring for a second hopefully I can help shine a little light on this subject.

No matter what style of music or enviroment you play in from church to stadiums "Ego's" are never neccessary but if your going to have one just know these rule's..........
"Ego's"
1. Are earned not given!!!!!!!

2. It takes you being more than just good.

3. If your resume doesn't match your "Ego" then you have no reason to have one.

4. The people determine how good you are so its dangerous to give that kind of power to people that does not really know you, because they could easily confuse you confidence with arrogance.

5. "Praise & Blame is all the same"

6. Most people have "Ego's" because they've either been embarrassed in public and the insecurities have caused them to develope an ego to protect them from repeating that moment.

7. You can be successful with one. But no one will really like you. They'll just "Tolerate " you because they just want your gift or talent and that won't last long.

8. The guy with the "Ego" doesn't really realize he's living a bubble with his own cheering section in his head and his or her crew going everywhere with him or her to scream the loudest when him or her plays or sings!

9. Nothing wrong with saying "Thank You" and its nothing wrong with giving GOD the glory and honor for the gift or talent he's given you. NOTHING AT ALL!!!!!!!! Don't feel weird about that, and it doesn't make you super spiritual doing that. God gave the gift or talent BUT!!!! its your job to polish it and make people love it! NOTHING WRONG WITH BEING GOOD AND CONFIDENT AT WHAT YOU DO!!!!!!!! Just don't take it to the head homie!

10. Stop it with the "Ego's" nobodies really checking for you like that. Do what you do, always be nice to people, take the time to talk to people who think your great, remember the GOD made you famous not your playing, play and sit down, stop all that walking around after you play or sing "We know you exist!"

And last and certainly not the least.
THE GOLDEN RULE!!!!!!!
THEIRS ALWAYS SOMEBODY BETTER THAN YOU!!!!!!!!! And it's always the guy you never thought would be. STAY HUMBLE FELLAS ITS THE ONLY WAY UP! Can't have an "Ego" if all your doing is playing at musicals, and jazz clubs. You haven't touch 1% of the world with what your doing! Take pride in those moments by making the people whom your working for or playing or singing for the greatest, funest most musical moments. Do your job and do it well. Because the greatest compliment is when you keep getting invited back!!!!!!! Use those moments in the lazz spots and musicals to become shaper, smarter, better and more sociable to others. And I promise you you'll go far. The world is waiting for you but, you must be ready mentally not just  musically! Playing music is 90% mental and 10% physical.
Love you guys! 

Thats whats up!!! Especially coming from a seasoned vet. Its the truth, and its a brighter way to look at the situation. Thanks Jeremy for sharing that!!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up