LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ANY SUGGESTIONS  (Read 4093 times)

itsallpeach

ANY SUGGESTIONS
« on: December 22, 2004, 12:57:12 PM »
My drummer at church is only 20 and she started playing when she was 16 (I think).  All she really knows is what she has learned by playing around on her own but she has expressed to me a STRONG desire to get better at what she does.  As a Director (and friend), I want to point her in the right direction to enhance her skills, but I don't know where to start.  Any ideas?

Offline drummercat777

• LGM Member
    • www.myspace.com/bdrums777

ANY SUGGESTIONS
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2004, 03:14:58 PM »
i suggest that you tell her to practice her corrdination between her hand sand her feet. also, if she can, get some videos of drummers who help to break down some of the beats and rythms that they do. a few examples would include.....john blackwell technique,grooving, and showmanship as well as any dennis chambers video,tommy igoe groove essential tapes as well as the dom famularo cyber lessons off of vic firth.com hope this helps.........

-its all good and its all GOD
Psalm 150:5
why I do what i do.....

www.myspace.com/bdrums777

Offline lilben

• LGM Member

Re: ANY SUGGESTIONS
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2004, 08:35:28 PM »
Quote from: itsallpeach
My drummer at church is only 20 and she started playing when she was 16 (I think).  All she really knows is what she has learned by playing around on her own but she has expressed to me a STRONG desire to get better at what she does.  As a Director (and friend), I want to point her in the right direction to enhance her skills, but I don't know where to start.  Any ideas?

Yo I am from Memphis,Tennesee also and I know many drummers who can help her. There is a drummer her named Jahleel Eli and he teaches lessons $20 an hour he reads music, he has tought at stax music academy here he has taught lessons at the Memphis Drumshop also I am pretty sure he is willing to help. I am a drummer also and have been playing 11yrs going on 12yrs. Just keep in touch and I guarauntee she will learn everything she wants to. Aiight Holla!
Artistik Muzik

Offline aNdThEBeAtGoEsOn

• LGM Member

ANY SUGGESTIONS
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2004, 10:33:18 PM »
This girl has been playing for four years and she still stinks? or is she just average? Most people who have been playing for that long usually know the basics and more. I would just tell her she's doing good and to keep practicing. I just want to know if she's really that bad! I mean if she hasn't ever played with praise team its going to be harder for her. I know that when I started playing at my church it was alot different than I thought. It's waaayyy different then when you're playing along with a CD. Everything is perfect on a CD where as on a praise and worship team it usually isn't. Just tell her to keep on trying!

Offline ikickset

• LGM Member
    • myspace

ANY SUGGESTIONS
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2004, 01:10:49 PM »
well she needs to listen to a lot of music. she needs to hear good drummers so she will know what to aim for. and tell her to practice everday. go to a local music store and pick up some drum video. they help if u are a beginer or advanced. take her to diferrent concerts where there will be musicians playing. its nothin like seeing a drummer live and in person. be blessed!!!!!!!!!!!

itsallpeach

ANY SUGGESTIONS
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2004, 12:21:18 PM »
THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I NEEDED TO HEAR!  DRUM VIDEOS!  THEY MAKE PERFECT GIFTS AND THEY WILL HELP HER GET WHERE SHE NEEDS TO GO! THANKS!  WHAT A GREAT IDEA!

Offline DrummerBoyGil

• LGM Member

ANY SUGGESTIONS
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2004, 12:37:43 PM »
Man dude, I wish I knew about this site 4-5 years ago when I sucked. I never even heard of drum videos or even drum teachers. All I did was I had a floor tom and a high hat, and I would make what beat I could out of that. I was maybe 8 or 9 or somethin'.

itsallpeach

ANY SUGGESTIONS
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2004, 12:23:32 PM »
Since I am a choir director and aspiring musician, I need to know the names of the different drums too.  Anyone want to share?

Offline CalKel2

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

ANY SUGGESTIONS
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2004, 12:25:49 PM »
snare, bass (or kick) drum, toms (either rack or floor)

Offline dwdrummer

• LGM Member
    • http://

ANY SUGGESTIONS
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2004, 05:16:55 AM »
Listen to Chris Coleman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline mackk01

• LGM Member

ANY SUGGESTIONS
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2004, 06:58:42 AM »
Please listen to a variety of drummers, not just Chris Coleman. Chris Coleman is wonderful, but he is not the definition of drumming!

Offline favoritepsalm1

• LGM Member
  • Future Minstrels & Levites
    • http://anointed2do.wordpress.com

ANY SUGGESTIONS
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2004, 07:34:13 AM »
On top of all that has been said, pray for her and get her to pray that God will develop her gift for His glory.  Do that and then practice, watch the videos, etc.  If it's His will for her to play, she will get better.

Well...
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2005, 11:36:05 AM »
I would just tell her to practice as much as possible. Buy some videos on the fundamentals of drumming. Fundamentals will take her a long way in a short time. Tell her to avoid listening to too much music that is too advanced for her to be able to understand right now. If the music is too advanced, she might start comparing herself to what she hears and that could discourage her.

Tell her to set goals and develop a focus on what level she wants to grow to.

I would recommend listening to music with fundamental grooves along the lines of James Brown(sorry that it is not gospel), The Dixie Chicks(very very basic grooves) and maybe Traditional Gospel like Shirley Ceaser, James Cleveland. These will help her better understand 2 & 4 and also basic 3/4 or 6/8 grooves. The key would not be listening to too many explosive drummers in the developement stages until she understand's the fundamentals.

Offline pocketime

• LGM Member

ANY SUGGESTIONS
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2005, 06:01:09 PM »
Here are some suggestions:(1) Find a really good teacher and discuss what she is interested in learning, (2) get a good practice pad and practice fundemental rudiments and hand technique daily.  (3) Have her expose herself to as many different genres of music as is humanly possible not just gospel.(4) Drum videos are great and here are a couple of my favorites.  Steve Smith, Buddy Rich Memorial Concert, Dave Weckl(all of them), Marco Minninman(any of them), Jeff Pocaro(any), Carlos Vega (any), and any live performance videos that feature Vinnie Coliuta on drums the first two that come to mind is the Faith Hill "When The Lights Go Down" video is truly tremendous.  Some of the finest drumming on the planet.  Joni Mitchell (the title escapes me) which features Jim Haslip, Russel Ferrante, Vinnie and a host of others.  (5)  get serious and develope a daily structured routine as far as what you are going to work on.  Be very regimental about practice time have it well thought out.  Remember to always warm up with various exercises and also if possible record your practice sessions both in audio and video format.  This way she can listen and watch her progress, which is a great motivator to stick it out when you start acheiveing certain plateaus and you find it more difficult to push yourself.  (6) Rest, is critical.  Drums are very physical and it is possible to hurt yourself.  When you get fatigued stop for that session and rest.  Read current and back issues of modern drummer, drummer magazine rhthym magazine and any other pertinent periodicals.  Also, take your time!!!  She won't be playing like her favorite drummer after two weeks, months, years.  It just takes discipline, practice, study,and time.  Most importantly pray before you play!  Always have FUN.  PT.

Like I said....
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2005, 06:41:04 PM »
I am not trying to be cut throat, but some of the people named in the post just before this one is out of this world. There is a such thing as taking in too much info, and Vinne, Marco Minneman, Steve Smith, are too much. Most of the top Gospel drummers are not doing half the stuff those guys are doing. She needs to get a solid foundation. Jazz drummers are too far above her head right now.

Get fundamental videos and a good teacher and simple music to listen too would be the start. In all thy getting, get understanding. Not understanding music will limit her. She does not need too many fire drummers to start with. PERIOD!

Offline pocketime

• LGM Member

ANY SUGGESTIONS
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2005, 09:22:20 AM »
I do not understand how anyone can say that guys like Vinnie, Steve, Marco and a host of others are too far over the top to begin listening to and study as a beginner.  It would seem to me that in order to develope solid foundation(as you claim) and solid rudimental facilities including time, dynamics, reading ability and all of the other things that are required of any solid musician(not just drummers).  You would want to open yourself up to and expose yourself to the best information available.  That is to say the all of these great drummers that play in Gospel Music specifically "Black Gospel" have in deed done their homework.  I can't imagine just allowing myself to listen to just the drummers that play one genre of music when their is so much to learn from all genres of music.  Do not limit yourself, you'll be missing out on a great deal of information and inspiration.  PT.

Fire
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2005, 11:12:38 PM »
Jumping into the fire only gets you burned. If you do not know what a rudiment is, listening to guys like Vinnie, Dennis, and Dave Weckl will not do you any good. You will be average like most Gospel musicians. 98% of Gospel Musicians are not close to mastery on their instruments, let alone the art of creating music. I understand where you are coming from, but you missed my whole point. Go back and read my earlier post. I would never say that Gospel players know too much of anything because I grew up in church and I know how limited church players are 98% of the time.

Some people can not deal with it, but it is the truth. I would say listen to players with solid grooves. James Browns music is a good start. Ask Dennis what he started listening to. Motown Drummers (groove players). After he was solid, he went into jazz. He did not go into jazz first. Groove first. Checks keep coming if you can make people dance. Nobody cares about a drummer getting off on his chops except for other drummers.

Offline pocketime

• LGM Member

ANY SUGGESTIONS
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2005, 06:38:45 AM »
I agree with you about studying basics and being focused on groove and time. I guess I was just stating that limiting yourself is not conducive to growth as a musician.  PT.
Pages: [1]   Go Up