LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WHAT IS PRAISE/WHAT IS WORSHIP?  (Read 3114 times)

Offline c$harp

• LGM Member

WHAT IS PRAISE/WHAT IS WORSHIP?
« on: July 25, 2009, 10:02:34 PM »
LGM Family,

Here is the reason for the question.  If a song is not talking to God is it considered not to be a praise song?  For example, "Blessed in the city" the song is an encouraging song but it is not so much directed to God (word wise).  One of my choir members brought this up.

Now personally I feel that praise is your gift you offer to God, because there are many ways to praise Him as well as worship.  I also feel that it is the heart of what you are doing not so much the words.  I also find it hard to believe if my heart is right towards God and I sing a song like "Blessed in the city" God would say that song is not a praise song, go find one that is directed towards me.  I could be wrong, but I would really love to hear from everyone out there and get your perspective, b/c Iron sharpens Iron.

God Bless

Minister Courtney
"Do you Exist or do you Live"

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

Re: WHAT IS PRAISE/WHAT IS WORSHIP?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 01:35:48 PM »
I believe this particular song speaks about the goodness of our God. Because of that fact, I believe it is a praise song.

When we praise the Lord, in my opinion, we speak well of Him and not just speak well to Him.

This song, I believe, takes it lyric (at the least this one line) from Deu 28:3. But, take a look at this verse in context with verses 1 & 2.

Deuteronomy 28 (KJV)

1 And it shall come to pass, if thou shalt hearken diligently unto the voice of the LORD thy God, to observe and to do all his commandments which I command thee this day, that the LORD thy God will set thee on high above all nations of the earth:

2 And all these blessings shall come on thee, and overtake thee, if thou shalt hearken unto the voice of the LORD thy God.

Now, because of these verses (which are a continuation of commands and instructions given by the Lord to Moses to give to God's people) we can say, 'We're blessed in the city, blessed in the fields' as it says in Deu 28:3.

I'll stop there concerning the song.

As for the remainder of your post, I'd say that the heart alone, being a deceitful thing as the Bible tells us, is not enough. There has to be some action that springs forth because of that which is in one's heart.  As the Bible states, in Proverbs 23:6 & 7:

Proverbs 23 (KJV)
6 Eat thou not the bread of him that hath an evil eye, neither desire thou his dainty meats:

7 For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he: Eat and drink, saith he to thee; but his heart is not with thee.

See that, his heart is not with thee. To me, that says one's heart isn't even enough and in some cases, the actions that appear to be godly, aren't anywhere close.
:-\

BTJM.

Be Blessed.
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 09:19:09 PM »
Not speaking of lyrics, but tempo/style - in many cases, Praise refers to the faster hand-clapping songs and Worship the slower, more meditative ones...

Offline JoanHall

• LGM Member
    • My gospel choir web pages

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 11:08:44 PM »
I would consider "Blessed" to be a song of encouragement and a song of testimony.  It's perfectly fine to sing other types of spiritual songs along with praise or worship songs.

Everything in the book of Psalms is a song, and not all of them are direct praise or worship.  Psalm 1 says, "Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful."  That's a song of exhortation.  Psalm 37 says, "Fret not thyself because of evildoers, neither be thou envious against the workers of iniquity."  That's a song of encouragement and comfort.  Neither of those songs is talking directly to God.

I believe that if a song acknowledges God and is expressing any kind of scriptural principles then it's suitable to be included in the music ministry.

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 05:28:14 AM »
I would consider "Blessed" to be a song of encouragement and a song of testimony.  It's perfectly fine to sing other types of spiritual songs along with praise or worship songs.

Everything in the book of Psalms is a song, and not all of them are direct praise or worship.  Psalm 1 says, "Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful."  That's a song of exhortation.  Psalm 37 says, "Fret not thyself because of evildoers, neither be thou envious against the workers of iniquity."  That's a song of encouragement and comfort.  Neither of those songs is talking directly to God.

I believe that if a song acknowledges God and is expressing any kind of scriptural principles then it's suitable to be included in the music ministry.

I can agree with that. Paul tells us in Eph 5:18-21:

Eph 5 (KJV)

18 And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;

19 Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;

20 Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ;

21 Submitting yourselves one to another in the fear of God.

Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 11:49:36 AM »

Total COSIGN.  That's so wonderfully stated.

I've been thinking a lot about a conversation we had a few weeks (months?) ago about songs that are/aren't scripturally-based, and there was one that was mentioned that I (and a few others) didn't agree with.

I think it's important to note that a song of testimony doesn't have to be Biblically based, it just can't conflict with scriptural principles.  The Bible doesn't have to specifically SAY that the Lord spared my life from danger seen and unseen for that to be my personal testimony in song.  Same goes for songs of exhortation.

And one other thing, Blessed in the City is straight scripture.  That automatically glorifies God, whether analysts consider it praise or worship or exhortation or hymn or whatever...

To be honest - though this is off-subject a bit - I wonder if God really cares...  :-\
When you're in love you don't want to fall asleep bc reality is finally better than your dreams.

Offline cutepreacher

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 04:52:33 PM »
I look at it this way: Praise is the vehicle that gets you to worship. Praise is cultural, but worship is universal. So... in essence... praise is anything that pushes you toward God's presence(worship).

"Blessed in the City" is a song of celebration about our position in Christ. Songs of celebration are awesome because they allow us to reflect on who God is and what he has done for us (Praise).
You've got one thing going for you - Favor

Offline baynwood1

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009, 01:49:30 PM »
Praise is something you give God for what He can do and what He Does and worship is something you give for God's character and who He is.

Offline Ms. Diamond

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2009, 11:56:48 AM »
I agree with a lot of things that were stated in the previous posts. In my opinion and based only as to what my interpretations of the scriptures are I feel that praise is the "action" so to speak. Worship is the mindset in which you praise. My only rational for that statement is that, the Bible does not say that one has to be saved in order to praise God or even be holy. It simply states, " Let everything that has breath praise the Lord." We all know that God alone is worthy of our praise and worship. He is God, our Creator, and we are commanded to praise and worship Him. Psalm 96:9 says, "Worship the Lord in the splendor of his holiness; tremble before him, all the earth." Psalm 29:2 says, "Give unto the Lord the glory due his name; worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness." As far as the song selections, the praise team of which I am part of only sings songs that have a scriptural background or biblically based and we pray before our practices asking for His direction and that we can be a blessing to someone that may be discouraged as well as glorify Him all at the same time.

Offline SavnBass

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Saved by GRACE .. Bass by choice

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2009, 10:15:52 AM »
I t6hink they are one and the same.. but for the sake of what we do...

Praise is like playing ball with your daddy in the yard..

Worship is like sitting in his lap...

Praise: 2 Samuel 6:14

Worship: Psalm 8
Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.

Offline gtrdave

• LGM Member
  • Men always ought to pray and not lose heart.
    • Check out some of my music!

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2009, 09:37:29 PM »
Praise is an activity.
Worship is a lifestyle.
Music theory is not always music reality.

Offline ancw

• LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2009, 01:10:17 PM »
praise is inhabitant/worship is attract God's glory!!

churchyreal

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2009, 07:58:12 PM »
Total COSIGN.  That's so wonderfully stated.

I've been thinking a lot about a conversation we had a few weeks (months?) ago about songs that are/aren't scripturally-based, and there was one that was mentioned that I (and a few others) didn't agree with.

I think it's important to note that a song of testimony doesn't have to be Biblically based, it just can't conflict with scriptural principles.  The Bible doesn't have to specifically SAY that the Lord spared my life from danger seen and unseen for that to be my personal testimony in song.  Same goes for songs of exhortation.

And one other thing, Blessed in the City is straight scripture.  That automatically glorifies God, whether analysts consider it praise or worship or exhortation or hymn or whatever...

To be honest - though this is off-subject a bit - I wonder if God really cares...   :-\

COSIGN!

Offline musik4life

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2009, 06:30:58 AM »
Well although we offer sacrifices of praise unto God, if you remember with Cain and Abel and other examples of those who offered praises unto God it was done with certain guidelines.  Cains sacrifice wasn't accepted becaue he did not meet the requirements.

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2009, 01:22:57 PM »
I agree with a lot of things that were stated in the previous posts. In my opinion and based only as to what my interpretations of the scriptures are I feel that praise is the "action" so to speak. Worship is the mindset in which you praise. My only rational for that statement is that, the Bible does not say that one has to be saved in order to praise God or even be holy. It simply states, " Let everything that has breath praise the Lord." We all know that God alone is worthy of our praise and worship. He is God, our Creator, and we are commanded to praise and worship Him. Psalm 96:9 says, "Worship the Lord in the splendor of his holiness; tremble before him, all the earth." Psalm 29:2 says, "Give unto the Lord the glory due his name; worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness." As far as the song selections, the praise team of which I am part of only sings songs that have a scriptural background or biblically based and we pray before our practices asking for His direction and that we can be a blessing to someone that may be discouraged as well as glorify Him all at the same time.

Cosign - really like your heart and the Scriptures!
;)

Offline Docdb04

• LGM Member
  • I Stand At the Door and Knock

« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2009, 02:25:40 PM »
In the most simplest form. 

Praise is thanking God for what he has done.  We thank God for blessings, health and strength.  We thank God for getting us through this situation.  Thank Him for the house that we live in and the job that we have.

Worship, know as a higher form of praise, but it is thanking God for who is.  If I didn't have any blessings and if my health and strength begins to fail, I would still worship you.  If I lose my job and the house that I live in, I will still worship you.  The very thought of you Father, satisfies my soul.   

Many people can't move past thanking God for the things that he has done, which is why when you move to worship songs people may just look at you like you are crazy.  Also it is just a matter, that many people don't understand who God is.  They only know him for what he can do. 

Offline Churching

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2009, 04:31:26 PM »
Our God is awesome, we as musicians have an opportunity to help usher the congregation into the presence of the Lord in song.  However, we must first ensure that we are in the place where we should be in him to truley be effective in music ministry, which means we have to spend time fasting, praying and studying the word of God as we prepare for worship. We know it about so much more than just killing the keys. We are really in the business of bringing light to the blind, giving the captives the word of God through song.  To God be the glory for allowing us the wonder opportunity to be used in his service we are truly blessed. 

I also believe that praise is acknowledging your gratitiude for what God has done and Worship is a mindset.
Pages: [1]   Go Up