LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Organ DVD focused on chording  (Read 4499 times)

Offline cwgolden99

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Organ DVD focused on chording
« on: July 28, 2009, 10:42:07 AM »
Hey I'm looking for a good organ instructional DVD that is focused more on chording.  For the majority of the ones that I have previewed they are doing nothing but showing off.  I just want something that gives basic theory or technique so i can strengthen my left hand. 

Offline under13

• LGM Member

Re: Organ DVD focused on chording
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 10:57:12 AM »
I think most of them are pretty good. You have Eddie Howard's, Sebastian's Organ Essentials, Mike Lloyd's and Trina Trine's. And with those you the on screen midi board, so even if they dont break something down, you can still learn it (use the pause button).   I think the gospel keys organ worship chords was also good. all the chords are spelled out on the screen and they include a chord book, but they only use one key (Db) and they dont give you as many applications where you can use the chords.

So which one is best for you? depends on your skill level, I think Sebastian's Organ Essentials and gospel keys might give the best foundation for organ, but the others were a little "phatter" for the intermediate and advanced musicians.

Offline docjohn

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 06:02:36 AM »
hey CS,try Kevin Conleys "keys',get it from Sebastian.btw-freezin' in hotlaska?

Incognegro

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 09:37:09 AM »
I think Trina Trine's is the best way to go if it's strictly chording you're looking at.

Offline trinatrine

• LGM Member
  • Phil. 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ....
    • The Trina Trine Music Site

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 12:18:18 AM »
Kevin Conley's DVD is indeed excellent.  If you're just starting out on organ as well, try the "Organ Essentials 1,2 and 3."  Excellent way of understanding everything from chording, major, minor, augmented and diminished chords, runs, etc. the basics of theory!
No matter what people say about you, know that God has a perfected plan for you!  Remain faithful!

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 12:34:26 AM »
you can also look at urban worship extreme by jammal hartwell. Even though its on piano, some of those neo soul chords sound great on the organ.

Offline musiqisme26

• LGM Member
  • Yaron MusicCo. Gospels Fresh Sound!

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2009, 07:59:57 AM »
get P. J. morgan, Butch Heyward, or Melvin Crispell dvd's so far they are the best i have seen when you actually want to learn and kevin Conleys is good too.

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2009, 09:54:01 AM »
get P. J. morgan, Butch Heyward, or Melvin Crispell dvd's so far they are the best i have seen when you actually want to learn and kevin Conleys is good too.

I have to disagree with suggesting Melvins dvd for this particular poster. He doesent really break down much of anything. If he really needs the chords broken down, then he should get any of the newer ones.

Dont get me wrong, I love Melvin's DVD and his style, but its for advanced musicians with a good ear......those seeking chords to be broken down, might be disappointed. But its only $20, so buy it anyway, you can still learn from it.

As for Butch's DVD, I dont have it (yet), but I heard that it is like Mellvin's. You can read a review by diverse379 here. http://www.learngospelmusic.com/forums/index.php/topic,37307.0.html

Offline wheatworks

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2009, 03:42:25 PM »
butch spells out everything he plays note for note. melvin does not....

Offline musiqisme26

• LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2009, 03:49:58 PM »
I have to disagree with suggesting Melvins dvd for this particular poster. He doesent really break down much of anything. If he really needs the chords broken down, then he should get any of the newer ones.

Dont get me wrong, I love Melvin's DVD and his style, but its for advanced musicians with a good ear......those seeking chords to be broken down, might be disappointed. But its only $20, so buy it anyway, you can still learn from it.

As for Butch's DVD, I dont have it (yet), but I heard that it is like Mellvin's. You can read a review by diverse379 here. http://www.learngospelmusic.com/forums/index.php/topic,37307.0.html

i hate to be confrontational but i have to disagree with you and diverse melvin and butch both have more than 1 dvd so i have a melvin dvd here that he breaks down most of everything really great. also what is wrong if someone actually has to use their ears to learn, ear training is essential if you ask me.

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2009, 11:48:06 PM »

i hate to be confrontational but i have to disagree with you and diverse melvin and butch both have more than 1 dvd so i have a melvin dvd here that he breaks down most of everything really great. also what is wrong if someone actually has to use their ears to learn, ear training is essential if you ask me.

The Man himself has said it, so I dont think theres anything to argue about:

butch spells out everything he plays note for note. melvin does not....

Offline musiqisme26

• LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2009, 07:30:36 PM »
The Man himself has said it, so I dont think theres anything to argue about:

whichever dvd he has where he breaks down "Too Close" and has Sis. Tunesha singing, anyone can understand or im just really smart  ;D

Offline raphael062002

• LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2014, 08:40:38 PM »
I just recently purchased the Organ Essentials Part 1- Back to Basics by digital download. However Im not sure the contents of the zip files are in order. Would anyone be able to provide something like a list of the contents for THE dvd?

Part 1
MajorMinorChords
TriTones
HarmonicMelodicPentatonicScales
Introduction
KeyCenters

Part 2
OranBackToBasics_4thChords
5_1_4_Progressions
7_3_6_Progressions
ChordSubstitutions
LayeredChords