LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]   Go Down

Author Topic: Making His Band Part 2  (Read 41318 times)

Offline tko05

• LGM Member

Re: Making His Band Part 2
« Reply #260 on: October 15, 2009, 10:21:54 AM »
Well, I think comes down to short and long-term thinking.

- Is this a lifestyle that can be sustained for years, with sufficient compensation?

- Do you have greater aspirations in the industry, and you're simply using these opportunities to get your foot in the door?

- Do you have kids? Is it fair to your family for you to be out on the road all the time, while you live out your fantasies?

Ultimately, you need to have a plan. Too many people take positions, and remain stuck, because they have no true aspirations outside of playing the current gig/tour and getting paid, and HOPING others fall into your lap. That is living life foolishly, but "hype" can cause people to do foolish things.

Most musicians eventually tire of the road, but have to keep on keeping on, because they squandered what they had, and need to keep gigging to support their lifestyle/make the ends meet.

Educate yourself and plan for the short and long-term according to what's wise and real(The most likely consequences of your choices). Jumping into that life without a plan is like having sex with a lot of females, not being smart, and ending up with more children than you can provide for sufficiently. Eventually, after all your fun, you're likely going o hate what you're left with/what you've gotten yourself into.

And that my friends..... Is the bottom line I believe.
“If Better Is Possible, Good Is No Longer An Option.

Offline drumzalicious

• LGM Member
    • Calvin Fenner Website

« Reply #261 on: October 15, 2009, 10:53:01 AM »
Well, I think comes down to short and long-term thinking.

- Is this a lifestyle that can be sustained for years, with sufficient compensation?

- Do you have greater aspirations in the industry, and you're simply using these opportunities to get your foot in the door?

- Do you have kids? Is it fair to your family for you to be out on the road all the time, while you live out your fantasies?

Ultimately, you need to have a plan. Too many people take positions, and remain stuck, because they have no true aspirations outside of playing the current gig/tour and getting paid, and HOPING others fall into your lap. That is living life foolishly, but "hype" can cause people to do foolish things.

Most musicians eventually tire of the road, but have to keep on keeping on, because they squandered what they had, and need to keep gigging to support their lifestyle/make the ends meet.

Educate yourself and plan for the short and long-term according to what's wise and real(The most likely consequences of your choices). Jumping into that life without a plan is like having sex with a lot of females, not being smart, and ending up with more children than you can provide for sufficiently. Eventually, after all your fun, you're likely going o hate what you're left with/what you've gotten yourself into.

Close thread

Offline sugabear

• LGM Member
  • Wolfgang, if you don't know...find out! Seriously!

« Reply #262 on: October 15, 2009, 10:53:01 AM »
if I may add my lil pennies to this whole discussion... I feel there are valid points coming from every angle, some are being delivered in a way that comes off as "well im the know it all, or im the man so you better believe me or else" just because you have this going for doesn't make you billybad@$$ either, the the know it all attitudes and drummer gangstas is getin really whack, i look at and respect everyone's OPINION almost equally, u take the gud or bad and keep it moving, but jus because someone maybe be producing there own cd/dvd's or whatever that makes them so grand that there opinion is golden, and for all the people that can't fornm there own opinion get off others and grow a pair yourself!!! be your own man, form your own and definitely don't try to force your opinion on others or just because they don't take heed to what you're saying, thats whack!!! i don't consider myself the man on this board or even close to it, but i do like to offer my advice from my perspective, ive been thru alot and seen alot and i know my fair share of the business as well because ive been blessed to have tight relationships with certain people that are doing this very thing that is being discussed...

some of it is HYPE, but then there are others that are really doing it and being smart about it, it all boils down to common sense you evaluate your personal situation and if you can afford to take chump change then do it, only you can call yourself stupid in the end, but don't be influenced by SOUR people, God gives us our own paths we must follow, who the heezy are you to tell someone else there way is dumb or you're stoopid, get serious bros and handle your own and some people need to get off there plastic high horses and stay in there lanes

now recently I had the oppurtunity to go out with a group and tech for the drummer making $600 a wk and a $20 per day per diem, and the band wouldve only been giggn 3 or 4 days out of the week, well to some thats alot of money if you have no kids/wife and if you didn't mind spending the 1st 3 days in Puerto Rico while only having 1 show there, so 2 free PAID DAYS wudve have been dope right??? well Im sorry i had to turn it down because i have responsibilty here at my church and God has blessed me to make very close to that w/o punching a clock...lol, so kp in mind this gig wasn't evn playing drums, so it can be done regardless of who says it can't, but fellas all imma say is be wise and don't believe the hype, the only person who should have your trust is Jesus and nobody on this board all they can do is offer opinions, especially if there used to getting burnt, im gonna end this long post of mind, its too long for me but had to vent, i prolly shuda made a video, it wud've been way easier....lol
Uuhhhh...different strokes for different folks. If you're okay with doing a gig that doesn't pay that much then cool, stick to your guns; if not say no and move on to something that suits your purpose and needs.

Yo bro, did I sum that up good for ya? lol
My goal as a musician is to be better than myself.
check out my site www.tampogo.com/alsmith!!!
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]   Go Up