LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: Making His Band Part 2  (Read 41317 times)

Offline j_kay

• LGM Member

Re: Making His Band Part 2
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2009, 01:44:16 PM »
...you should've seen it last night doc'.  It was a reality check. Cats got shown the real side of being a "professional working musician" last night.  :o

But I don't aspire to be a professional working musician, though...  Is it only for those who aspire to that?

I've read the responses, and I agree with BigFoot_BigThumb when he stated "C'mon yall.  Did you really think it was about putting a band together?  Anything from the MTB/MHB franchise with Diddy's name on it is all about the drama."  Based on his previous shows, it was more about that, than anything else.  If that's the case, I'll pass...   ;D
~ This thread is beyond hijacked - it's been kidnapped... ~

Offline Metronome

• LGM Member

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2009, 01:51:28 PM »
But I don't aspire to be a professional working musician, though...  Is it only for those who aspire to that?

I've read the responses, and I agree with BigFoot_BigThumb when he stated "C'mon yall.  Did you really think it was about putting a band together?  Anything from the MTB/MHB franchise with Diddy's name on it is all about the drama."  Based on his previous shows, it was more about that, than anything else.  If that's the case, I'll pass...   ;D

I mean it applied to those aspiring to be pros (aka those on the show)...but it was a reality check for all musicians who take their craft serious...working with specific BPM's and having to be accurate and precise without losing feel...it really wasn't anything that a band teacher or private instructor wouldn't go over with you...
Keep It Funky

Offline QCdrummer

• LGM Member
  • "Yo Grandad! Buy me some Vic Firths!"

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2009, 07:29:24 PM »
Kris wasn't hungry enough...... ;D.........and in the words of Rob, "thats a done deal". He knew he couldn't read the music, yet he was at the table chatting it up with the others, then he's outside arguing with Mike. This is the valuable time he should have been using to learn the exercise. I think he thought it was boring and was going to rely on memory to carry him through the challenge....

Mike called out Kris to cover up his own securities......but that is none of Kris's concern. People are going to talk about you no matter what you do. Instead of confronting Mike, he should have went to the practice room worked extra hard to prove him wrong. But in the end he just proved that what Mike was saying was a valid point.
Praise Him with clashing cymbals!

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member
  • Art by C1... Thanx Bruh!

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2009, 09:22:48 PM »
I did not see the show yet but it souunds like the lessons myself and others here on the board have come to the forefront of truth.
Being prepard for your opportunity is paramount period. In the words of Will Smith, "Stay reaady and you don'thaveto get ready." In Biblical terms, faith without works is dead.
Learn from the mistakes and earthly truths you see on the show.
Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

Offline Kelz-Da-Basshead

• LGM Member

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2009, 01:16:40 AM »
I watch rob lewis on youtube alot too.  and from watching him you can tell he is a to the point no nonsense kinda guy.  He'd rather have an average musician that works hard than a guy with kris talent that wont even try. They showed kris shedding in the music room.  He could've been in there getting some help.  Clearly he didnt want it enough.

On another note I just saw a preview for next week and Tim Rawbiz was in the clip actually talking.  Hopefully this means he'll get more airtime next week.
you got to hear numbers

Offline Drumworkshop

• LGM Member

« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2009, 02:20:35 AM »
yup this is good ol' reality t.v. people. as i said in the original making his band post. everybody was talking about who stood out...and this and that, when clearly the show was edited down to a toothpick from a pine tree. its hard to say who really showed up and played when the cameras only followed 6 ppl. as the show progresses more talent will emerge...but in the meantime its about RATINGS!

and someone mentioned "GOD'S Will"...piggy backing of Sabian Knight this gospel cliche really kills me....you can believe in "GOD'S WILL" all you want...but if you don't put WORK in. that "wheel" shall roll right on by ye(or thou...whichever sounds more biblical) ;D

Offline 3rd-Day

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2009, 05:52:12 AM »
Kris wasn't hungry enough...... ;D.........and in the words of Rob, "thats a done deal". He knew he couldn't read the music, yet he was at the table chatting it up with the others, then he's outside arguing with Mike. This is the valuable time he should have been using to learn the exercise. I think he thought it was boring and was going to rely on memory to carry him through the challenge....

Mike called out Kris to cover up his own securities......but that is none of Kris's concern. People are going to talk about you no matter what you do. Instead of confronting Mike, he should have went to the practice room worked extra hard to prove him wrong. But in the end he just proved that what Mike was saying was a valid point.

YES!! 8)

Im too tall to act small.

Offline JFunky

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Marvin McQuitty jr. (Thank You)

« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2009, 08:29:20 AM »
I did not see the show yet but it souunds like the lessons myself and others here on the board have come to the forefront of truth.
Being prepard for your opportunity is paramount period. In the words of Will Smith, "Stay reaady and you don'thaveto get ready." In Biblical terms, faith without works is dead.
Learn from the mistakes and earthly truths you see on the show.

...there you are. lol
Psalms 144.1 - "Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle."

Offline teflonminds88

• LGM Member
  • All fun and games...

"Give them the truth, so they approach the situation with ammunition."

Offline BigFoot_BigThumb

• LGM Member
  • The Waves SSL 4000 plug-ins. The greatest EVER!!!

« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2009, 10:10:19 AM »
I finally saw the whole episode, and even though Kris did slack, Mike was wrong for concentrating on something that really didn't concern him.  I'm also disappointed that the judges gave him the chance to switch up.  He couldn't play the keyboard exercise his doggone self while he was crticizing someone else, so he should have went home too.  It's all about the drama.  I wanted to see what Joy could do as well as the other players.  Too much focus on personalities.  Diddy is staying out of the way for now, but you can best believe he's going to come up in that house and start breaking folks down. 
When you've done your very best, do even better.

Offline Kelz-Da-Basshead

• LGM Member

« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2009, 10:32:34 AM »
I think the difference between kris and mike was that mike tried and couldnt. and he expressed that he wanted to switch before the exercise.  He was honest and open. He didnt feel that he stood a chance as a keyboard player, so he needed to move to drums. I think he gone need to bring it now though. Cuz rob lewis seemed kinda mad or sad about his decision to switch. Rob probly gone go at him harder than all the other drummers.
you got to hear numbers

Offline JFunky

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Marvin McQuitty jr. (Thank You)

« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2009, 01:35:29 PM »
I think the difference between kris and mike was that mike tried and couldnt. and he expressed that he wanted to switch before the exercise.  He was honest and open. He didnt feel that he stood a chance as a keyboard player, so he needed to move to drums. I think he gone need to bring it now though. Cuz rob lewis seemed kinda mad or sad about his decision to switch. Rob probly gone go at him harder than all the other drummers.

...and that's what I've been telling dudes offline.  Rob saw "potential" in Mike on keys.  That's why he decided that he would let him stay.  I think Rob was testing out his hunger, passion and dedication with that keyboard exercise.  Shoot, I think he would've even helped him out a bit a long the way.  But "No!"  This dude backed off and decided to go for drums.  Yeah, I think the same.  Rob is going to go at him hard cause he felt like he did the dumbest move out of everyone in the house and I agree.  Again, Chris Kee is the cat to beat and Mike is in trouble. IMHO 

..."Let's get "sureus." - Rob Lewis   lol
Psalms 144.1 - "Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle."

Offline musician4life

• LGM Member

« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2009, 01:54:14 PM »
Could someone link me to a Rob Lewis/MO performance that they thought was great? I've been checking him out for a few years, and while I can respect what TMO is trying to do, I'm not exactly crazy about them musically. I know that it's possible that I just may not simply like what they do....

...but I would like to listen to more of what they've done.

Offline JrDADrumma

• LGM Member

« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2009, 02:30:57 PM »
Mike Moore played on Jessica Greene's album. I heard him, and he is definitely legit. If anything gets him, it will be that attitude. Like Chris Kee for example. He is just quietly going about his business. Playing-wise though, IMO, Mike should have it on lock. But you never know.  ;) 8)
Just play music...

Offline Kelz-Da-Basshead

• LGM Member

« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2009, 04:38:58 PM »
He may not be the best composer/producer but many musicians arent good at actually making songs just playing songs and adding their own flavor.  He is actually more known for his string arrangements which actually are really nice.
you got to hear numbers

Offline smarkland38

• LGM Member
    • myspace.com

« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2009, 06:17:58 PM »
After watching the show twice i agree that Kris should have been working harder in learning how to read, you can see When Nissan was going over the music in just clapping it out he was struggling. Mike had legit point in what he said, but the way he said it Like was harsh.After watching Kris in my opinion he though his soloing skill would get him by.Kris should have listened to his grandfather and learned how to read by picking up TED REED BOOK OF SYNCOPATION maybe. Mike on the hand has an arrogance about him ROB LEWIS said you better be HOT!!! We will see  8)
I CAN DO ALL THINGS THROUGH CHRIST THAT STRENGTHENS ME!!!

www.myspace.com/sidmark

Offline soul_drummer

• LGM Member
  • Jesus, I Love You

« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2009, 05:42:54 PM »
I definitely didn't like Mike Moore's atitude...
Perfect Practice Makes Perfect

Offline robin of drummin

• LGM Member

« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2009, 09:28:21 PM »
yes mike moore should have done things a little different but, lets be real yall if it was any of us in that situation how would you have handled it, i think kris handled it professionally, but to the point rare oppertunities are givin, gospel or not the profession is all the same you cant be a slacker, if you gonna go for something go all the way, you cant put one foot in and try to test the waters and see if thats what you do or dont want that will refer to your resume

Offline Da_Drumma

• LGM Member
    • Da' Drumma on Myspace

« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2009, 06:28:45 AM »
yes mike moore should have done things a little different but, lets be real yall if it was any of us in that situation how would you have handled it, i think kris handled it professionally, but to the point rare oppertunities are givin, gospel or not the profession is all the same you cant be a slacker, if you gonna go for something go all the way, you cant put one foot in and try to test the waters and see if thats what you do or dont want that will refer to your resume

::)

Offline musician4life

• LGM Member

« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2009, 07:13:02 AM »
First of all, I don't see why Eric Moore didn't make it. Their is not one person on that show that I can say is a better drummer than Eric Moore. I don't know if Eric Moore can read, but even if he CAN'T - he OBVIOUSLY wouldn't be the only person on the show that can't read. It's not a skill he can't pick up relatively quickly, anyway. It'd be ton's easier for Eric Moore to learn to read, than for someone who can read only, to learn to play like Eric Moore.

At the same time, I find this whole show comical. Diddy's assistant's are acting all high and mighty like they're auditioning musician's for a Miles Davis quartet.  ::) None of these guys are upper-tier technician's/theoretician's, so it should be expected that they'd be lacking significantly in some area's. Not to mention, you get back what you put out. Can't exactly expect Thomas Lang - or someone of that caliber - to show up for a Mr. "I don't write rhymes, I write checks!" audition(Then again, CC is playing for dang-blasted 'NKOTB'  :D ).

I feel that dude is partly responsible for Black popular music becoming a shell of it's former self. He's not solely to blame, but he definitely played a significant role.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14   Go Up