LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: Making His Band Part 2  (Read 41324 times)

Offline fLaT-fIfTh

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • http://www.gospelchops.com

Re: Making His Band Part 2
« Reply #160 on: October 13, 2009, 12:29:02 PM »
So much bad information floating around on this thread...

LOL @ $1000 for a custom MTD...

LOL @ tour bands thinking their celebs(many of them can't even get a photo with the artist they play for)

I can't LOL @ young musicians feeding into the hype. That just ain't funny.

We gotta do better...

Offline fLaT-fIfTh

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #161 on: October 13, 2009, 12:33:20 PM »
Well, can someone answer this question? Why Would Spanky  leave Tye Tribbett who has one of the BADDEST Bands in the Gospel industry and play for Diddy if he was making little bit of money...there is no way they can pay you little bit of money and you are rehearsing for 12-16 hour a day just to make sure the music is right for the tour

I will answer your question with a question. If Diddy already had a drummer, why did he need a tv show?

God bless

Offline Kelz-Da-Basshead

• LGM Member

« Reply #162 on: October 13, 2009, 01:04:46 PM »
How much do you people think MTDs cost? Them thangs aint cheap. Follow this link to guitarcenter.com. basses are expensive especially MTD. The ones in the link arent custom made either and I've never heard of a company selling custom made stuff for cheaper than the regular stuff.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/MTD,Electric-Bass-Bass.gc

In my opinion Diddy does the show to find new talent that may not cost as much but he still is gonna pay. As well as the fact that he prolly gets a check from MTV. I doubt he would do it for free. Except this time. I think the ratings were prolly so bad that well never see making any band again. But the problem is that no one wants to see musicians except musicians. And there arent that many of us. Even then every musician isnt gonna watch the show. The ratings for MTB4 were really high. It was one of MTV's most hyped shows. The Finale was shows three times that night and twice the next day.  The MHB finale was shown once. and prolly just due to a contractual agreement.
you got to hear numbers

Offline JFunky

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Marvin McQuitty jr. (Thank You)

« Reply #163 on: October 13, 2009, 01:31:13 PM »
So much bad information floating around on this thread...

LOL @ $1000 for a custom MTD...

LOL @ tour bands thinking their celebs(many of them can't even get a photo with the artist they play for)

I can't LOL @ young musicians feeding into the hype. That just ain't funny.

We gotta do better...

This thing sings like no other I've ever had.

MTD 635 Fretless
Mahogony "Chambered" body
Flamed Ash/Bubinga neck
Redwood burl top/headstock veneer
Striped Ebony fingerboard
Piezo bridge
"Sweet spot" Bart pickup

God bless ;)

...btw, that's a beautiful Custom MTD you have there flat.  I bet it sounds great.  8)
Psalms 144.1 - "Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle."

Offline diligent-hands

• LGM Member
  • NEW SINGLE (60 SECOND PRAYER)

« Reply #164 on: October 13, 2009, 01:49:03 PM »

The switch to Saturday night was a main problem for Diddy but, it was a great solution for MTV.  There is just no way this show could compete with Monday Night Football.

I honestly dont even understand why most of you found this show interesting.  You say you hate it but, you were watching every episode religiously lol.

Why does it matter who plays for Diddy?  Truth is, it doesn't take much skill to play loops.  Truth is, you play more challenging music in church.  Truth is, most of you make more money on sunday than the musicians on that show.  Truth is, that tour will not pay good.  Why?  Because Diddy doesn't have to pay good.  His name is big enough to draw anxious, un-educated and "hype" addicted musicians who are happy as long as everyone "thinks" they are living a great road life, and everyone "thinks" they're getting paid a lot of money. 

And why does everyone assume that these musicians are making so much money?  Why, because Diddy has money?  Because Jay Z has money?  Here is your wake-up call.  McDonald's is a multi-billion dollar company.  Need I say more?  I think I do.  McDonald's employees come and go like tour musicians and their salaries are not too far apart.  Actually, you are better off working at McDonald's because at least your job has stability and you're able to get some form of medical and dental benefits.  The musicians who made the band are at home right now, waiting on a tour that doesn't start till next year.  There will be so much time in-between, that you may not even see that band at all.  It could be an entirley different band.  Why?  Because no one cares anyway.  No one buys a diddy ticket for band members that you cant even see on stage lol.

These are just my efforts to get you guys to see the big picture before you step out there.  This is a small community of gospel drummers who seem to be focused on all the wrong aspects of the music game.  Your actual skill level on your instrument is the fun and easy part.  Making a profitable name for yourself is the hard part.  Making your own band.  Making your own cd, dvd, tour...becoming the artist.

Peace and Love,

Kev

thats YOUR OPINION...im pretty sure a musician for diddy makes more than any Mcdonalds employee or YOU..so this statement can go to hell...

Offline JFunky

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Marvin McQuitty jr. (Thank You)

« Reply #165 on: October 13, 2009, 01:54:28 PM »
thats YOUR OPINION...im pretty sure a musician for diddy makes more than any Mcdonalds employee or YOU..so this statement can go to hell...

Psalms 144.1 - "Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle."

Offline fLaT-fIfTh

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #166 on: October 13, 2009, 02:08:45 PM »
McDonald's worker: $8/hr x 40hrs/week x 4wks/mo x 12mos/yr = $15,360.

Tour musician: $1000/week x 12 week tour = $12,000.

Coming home from tour to find that a 12 year old now has your church gig = PRICELESS!

God bless ;)

Offline 3rd-Day

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #167 on: October 13, 2009, 02:22:47 PM »

Coming home from tour to find that a 12 year old now has your church gig = PRICELESS!

God bless ;)

TIME OF DEATH: 15:22 *_________________________________________________*
Im too tall to act small.

Offline jonesl78

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #168 on: October 13, 2009, 02:25:45 PM »

God bless ;)

mmm...that $1000/wk may actually be kinda generous.

I think you should start a new topic on this and share your experience.

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #169 on: October 13, 2009, 02:29:19 PM »

God bless ;)

LOL, but I'd choose touring over working at Mcdonalds...coming home smelling chicken Mcnuggets everyday :D

Offline fLaT-fIfTh

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #170 on: October 13, 2009, 02:35:21 PM »
mmm...that $1000/wk may actually be kinda generous.

I was being nice because I haven't been on LGM in a while... ;D

LOL, but I'd choose touring over working at Mcdonalds...coming home smelling chicken Mcnuggets everyday :D

Millions of others would agree with you. Therein lies the problem.

God bless

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #171 on: October 13, 2009, 02:39:55 PM »
Millions of others would agree with you. Therein lies the problem.

God bless

Whats your point?

Offline JazzJunkie

• LGM Member
  • A Great Legend

« Reply #172 on: October 13, 2009, 02:47:18 PM »
I will answer your question with a question. If Diddy already had a drummer, why did he need a tv show?

God bless

Im thinking  he did the show to help market his new album because he could have found anybody to go on tour with him. Remember  Diddy said he  did the show because he wanted to scout new talent that hasn't been discover I believe thats the only reason Tim Rawbizz did not get the gig and a few more others. The sad thing about this is that if we don't be careful the secular world is going to take all of the church musicians...I wonder how John P. Kee feel about his son Chris Keys playing for Diddy?
Take What U Know And Use It To The Glory Of God.

<JazzJunkie>

Offline JazzJunkie

• LGM Member
  • A Great Legend

« Reply #173 on: October 13, 2009, 02:51:48 PM »

God bless ;)

Thats  not bad at all that is 12,000  u have made in 3 months man that is 48-50 thousand at the end of the year
Take What U Know And Use It To The Glory Of God.

<JazzJunkie>

Offline BigFoot_BigThumb

• LGM Member
  • The Waves SSL 4000 plug-ins. The greatest EVER!!!

« Reply #174 on: October 13, 2009, 02:53:52 PM »
Custom MTD basses start no less than $4k unless Mike Tobias is feeling really generous.  Rawbiz has had an MTD endorsement since he was at Berklee so he's been down with Mike for quite a while now.  When you have an endorsement, sometimes you can get product "at cost" or even less if that boutique builder can afford to take the loss because the retail sales will make up the difference.  But Rawbiz is always working so he may indeed be able to order a bass at a moments whim and still pay the asking price.  No one knows but him.  I knew another cat who played and endorsed Modulus basses which run around $3k and he bought one for $600 through an endorsement deal.     

As far as sideman salaries, it can be as low as $1000 a wk, or as high has $40k-$50k a week as I've known a certain musical director to make when he played for a music icon.  Another set of musicians that played for another icon made around $15k a week for a 12-18 month tour.  The average is somewhere between $2k-$5k depending on the artist.  The key is how long the tour is as compared to the amount per week.  This new Diddy crew is not about to get rich. 

The way around that is to give them first-class accommodations and top-notch meals with a limo ride thrown in every now and then an they will think they're on top of the world if they've never experienced it before.  And you also get to hang out with major players in the game which will make you forget about the money as long as you can have a little clout with your folks back home.  This even goes down in the gospel realm with these major choirs.  I've experienced similar things right here in my city on a few gigs.  While I'm inside with that all-access pass on or talking to the headliner as if we're old friends I'm seen by many as the man, but at the end of the night, I am far from rich or even famous which didn't matterto me anyway. 

The real question is will you see these folks working after the Diddy tour?  That will be the real sign of success.  Yall forget there is a contract involved on these MTB shows that put folks on lock even after the show is over.  Notice none of them have went on to anything else after Diddy was done with them.  If they do, you best believe Diddy is getting a piece of it.  Aubrey from Danity Kane is getting naked or making out with other women to keep her name out there.  Sadly that seems to be all she has to offer which is what got her put out the the group because she made the mistake of believing her own hype and Diddy nipped that real quick and is still making money on her name. 

Alright, sorry for the essay.  But I hope some of you at least get the point. 
When you've done your very best, do even better.

Offline fLaT-fIfTh

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #175 on: October 13, 2009, 02:58:22 PM »
Whats your point?

My point is... a chicken mcnugget saved my life once. Therefore, my opinion is clearly biased.

Thats  not bad at all that is 12,000  u have made in 3 months man that is 48-50 thousand at the end of the year

Is it really?... Really?

God bless

Offline Kelz-Da-Basshead

• LGM Member

« Reply #176 on: October 13, 2009, 03:03:21 PM »
If you watch the finale he said Jamareo was the "defintion" of making his band. Discovering a musician who is talented enough but has never had an opportunity to play for a major artist.  Tim Rawbiz, no offense to him, is the complete opposite of what the show is about. A musician who has played for the likes of Usher. You cant get much more major than Usher. I felt like Rawbiz would have done a better job but Jamareo needed the job way more. Tim Rawbiz getting the job is the same thing as Chris Brown going on Making the Band 4 and being in Day 26.
you got to hear numbers

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #177 on: October 13, 2009, 03:05:34 PM »
My point is... a chicken mcnugget saved my life once. Therefore, my opinion is clearly biased.

God bless

In other words....you have no point. :D

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #178 on: October 13, 2009, 03:09:33 PM »

Yeah, it is... if you get 3 more tours.  :-\
When you're in love you don't want to fall asleep bc reality is finally better than your dreams.

Offline BigFoot_BigThumb

• LGM Member
  • The Waves SSL 4000 plug-ins. The greatest EVER!!!

« Reply #179 on: October 13, 2009, 03:16:50 PM »
If you watch the finale he said Jamareo was the "defintion" of making his band. Discovering a musician who is talented enough but has never had an opportunity to play for a major artist.  Tim Rawbiz, no offense to him, is the complete opposite of what the show is about. A musician who has played for the likes of Usher. You cant get much more major than Usher. I felt like Rawbiz would have done a better job but Jamareo needed the job way more. Tim Rawbiz getting the job is the same thing as Chris Brown going on Making the Band 4 and being in Day 26.

In the music game, a gig is a gig.  As far as giving Jamareo a chance, it's more about having someone hungry enough in your camp to do whatever you want because they have to in return for the opportunity which can easily be snatched away.  Don't forget, this is the same man that made some folks walk 3 hours to get him some cheesecake to show him how far they were willing to go for some fame. 

Jamareo is supposed to be a member on LGM, so if that was really him in the bass room, let's see what he has to say after the tour.   
When you've done your very best, do even better.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14   Go Up