LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: Making His Band Part 2  (Read 42148 times)

Offline j_kay

• LGM Member

Re: Making His Band Part 2
« Reply #180 on: October 13, 2009, 03:30:41 PM »
~ This thread is beyond hijacked - it's been kidnapped... ~

Offline Kelz-Da-Basshead

• LGM Member

« Reply #181 on: October 13, 2009, 03:38:17 PM »
what was his name on lgm. cuz i live in the bass room. Dont play drums. dont know why i ever came in here.
you got to hear numbers

Offline BigFoot_BigThumb

• LGM Member
  • The Waves SSL 4000 plug-ins. The greatest EVER!!!

« Reply #182 on: October 13, 2009, 03:48:18 PM »
what was his name on lgm. cuz i live in the bass room. Dont play drums. dont know why i ever came in here.

I believe it was simply Jamareo.  He responded to a thread on a particular piece of effects gear, and said he might have one available. 
When you've done your very best, do even better.

Offline dude-on-drums

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • www.kevinhayden.net
    • Kevin Hayden

« Reply #183 on: October 13, 2009, 03:50:08 PM »
Yeah, it is... if you get 3 more tours.  :-\

Exactly!!!  And who is out there touring every day of the year?  Please let me know.

For those of you who keep using words like, "assume" "probably" "think" and "pretty sure," come back when you know first hand, beause I know first hand.  I know most of your favorite musicians who are living at home with their parents, dont own their own cars, begging for instruments from companys because they cant afford to buy them, dont have health insurance, dont have dental insurance, no retirement plan, the worst credit you can imagine, begging their baby-mommas not to put them on child support, selling gear from their companys to earn extra money...and please dont get me started on taxes...

Take a minute and think about the above paragraph.  I know you all know some musicians like that locally.  Im trying to let you all know that its the same situation on tour but worse.  The only thing different is, they have more youtube hits than the average cat lol.

My advice is to go to college and do music on the side.

Im just trying to save a few...the rest of yall can dine in for some wonderful pancakes at "I-Hype" and point and argue with stop signs all day like, "YOU DO NOT SAY STOP!!!"

And as for you "shadow," yeah diligent hands, the guy who posts dark videos of people we cant see and say its him lololol!!!!  There is no need to be so angry.  Wait, Ive heard you rap before.  There is a reason to be angry.   >:(   :D

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #184 on: October 13, 2009, 03:56:02 PM »
*__________________________________________________________________________*

Here's hoping the folks in the Lounge remember this post when it's time for the next LGM Annual Awards. This one definitely deserves a nomination for "Funniest Post of the Year - Drum Room."

I am SO dead right now... lol.
When you're in love you don't want to fall asleep bc reality is finally better than your dreams.

Offline BigFoot_BigThumb

• LGM Member

« Reply #185 on: October 13, 2009, 04:31:32 PM »
This is my last response on this topic.

Here's an example of how quick things can change in this industry.  Back in 1995, I played for an up-and-coming  hip-hop artist that was signed to Sony Music.  We rehearsed on a Sunday, and went to Atlanta that Tuesday to do his album release party where we played live.  Had a pretty good turnout.  I even met the man that signed Janet Jackson to Virgin Records as he came through to support.  Then after the gig, we hung out at the house of a well-known singer.  Hmmm, so far so good. 

Well, we had such a good set that they made plans to send us to Miami, FL to upon up for George Clinton and the P-Funk All-Stars the next week, also on the bill was The Fugees, and I forget the other act.  We go down to FL, I hang with Pras from the Fugees at the venue most of the afternoon as he was a pretty cool cat.  Met this person, that person.  A lot of big-wigs are in the room. Even met George Clinton and talked with him for a minute as he was very personable.  We have another good set.  So plans are announced that we will be doing a Black college tour with The Fugees who were just about to release The Score CD which went on the sell about 15+ million copies worldwide. 

I'm in touch with management making plans to go on tour.  Even had my future drum tech call to introduce himself to me and get some info for future reference.  Had a tentative endorsement deal with Pearl Drums whose USA headquarters are right here in Nashville. Yadda, yadda, yadda this and that.  Next thing you know, the tour fizzles as supposedly the dates were not confirmed by management or something along that line. 

Well, the artist then booked 2 weeks in Paris, France about a month later opening up for Branford Marsalis which was confirmed.  He had new management which was a somewhat notorious cat we all knew.  He got things done, but he would benefit the most from it.  Well he calls me and asks when do I want to be paid.  I give him the going rate for sidemen(I said between $1000 or $1500 a week for the gig but I had many pros tell me a major label artist should pay you at least $2k even starting out), he offers me what I would miss on my job(which was not much at the time) plus a meal per diem. 

Then he goes into all of the first class living, and women that would be available to me just for going and kept trying to get me to accept his offer instead of making me a real concrete offer.  I am a businessman first when you talk money to me, and the rest of it is not a big deal.  What was really happening is that the manager had to submit a budget to the label for the trip including our salaries, and what cash he did not spend, he would basically keep and just write it off as an expense.  I'm not supposed to know how this goes down, but I knew exactly what was up.   

I was supposed to be blinded by the glitz and glamour and not worry about still being broke when I got back home.  I was not the least bit phased by any of that and I passed on it.  All of the other musicians went and talked about how great it was and how the experience was more important than the money.  Well, I can't pay bills with experience.  But they went without a drummer in the end.  I can't call that part of it, but  no one was really mad at me for keeping it business.  This is an old story, but it still goes on today.  In fact somewhere it's happening this very minute.  I love to play, but I got burned out on bad business even with simple little club gigs where I would play just to not get my money at the end of the night and have to drive out to somebody's house the next week to get paid.  Yeah, it's been done to me with churches and Gospel artists as well.  That get's old REAL quick.   

My career focus is now on producing, composing, songwriting, and eventually a record label.  If a "big-time" gig comes along that is worth doing, I will still only do it if the business is right and I mean that.                       

Offline BigFoot_BigThumb

• LGM Member

« Reply #186 on: October 13, 2009, 04:38:11 PM »
As for the artist I played for, he was young just like me and was trusting the business people to take care of business.  I'm sure he had to learn just like me.  He is now an independent artist/rapper making a consistent living with his music years later doing it his way.  We are still cool and I had no hard feelings towards him.

Offline JazzJunkie

• LGM Member
  • A Great Legend

« Reply #187 on: October 13, 2009, 05:55:35 PM »
Yea you guys are right 12,000 is not alot of money when u only touring for 3 months  I was thinking the the artist will be on tour all year.Thats why i was a music major at first but i woke up when my church gave me a check and i went to the bank to cash it and there was not enough funds for me to cash my check I knew right then this is not the business for me. I switch to computer information with an minor in music
Take What U Know And Use It To The Glory Of God.

<JazzJunkie>

Offline brutha28

• LGM Member
  • "Be healed, be delivered, and be set free"

« Reply #188 on: October 13, 2009, 08:12:50 PM »
thats YOUR OPINION...im pretty sure a musician for diddy makes more than any Mcdonalds employee or YOU..so this statement can go to hell...

Them fools dont make crap.  diddy is barely makin it anytime u gotta go shows cause ur records flop like pancakes....man i a gree wit u KEV get a freakin job... do some concerts or two but a ***** gotta take care ofa family and you can't do that touring.  Go to college and end up owning a record company.
Steven P.

Peace N' Hairgrease

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #189 on: October 13, 2009, 08:35:30 PM »
Yea you guys are right 12,000 is not alot of money when u only touring for 3 months  I was thinking the the artist will be on tour all year.Thats why i was a music major at first but i woke up when my church gave me a check and i went to the bank to cash it and there was not enough funds for me to cash my check I knew right then this is not the business for me. I switch to computer information with an minor in music

If you want to make it in this industry, you can but its not easy. There are man many cats who do this full time and support their families. You just gotta hustle.

As for musicians making only 12,000, I'm pretty sure a good musician/businessman is going to be on one tour a year

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #190 on: October 13, 2009, 08:36:36 PM »
As for musicians making only 12,000, I'm pretty sure a good musician/businessman is going to be on more than one tour a year

correction

Offline min_amw

• LGM Member
    • Divine Soldiers

« Reply #191 on: October 13, 2009, 09:29:51 PM »
My 2 cents is as follows: Take what you will from the series, but it was good to see people who believe in themselves enough to take on a challenge as musicians, although there are other challenges in the music industry. That's the positive thing. If you want to tour, remember, in all your getting, get the money (lol.) an understanding in all aspects. Don't just think short-term, you gotta think about the big picture. Touring can be stressful, tedious WORK, if the proper prearations are not made. It's not for everybody (including me). Many folks think it's all fun and games before the long rehearsals, long soundchecks and shows. Decisions can be long-lasting and life changing. Do math, make your own decisions. Be your own BUSINESSMAN.

James, drummer from MHB, is currently on tour with Sean Kingston. Walt, bassist from MHB, has his own band and is doing quite well with that. I know another guy who tried out and didn't make the show, but is currently interning at a decent record label. There is much more to the music indudtry than just the live show. YOU have to find where YOU fit in, and IF you fit in. Ask questions. Do the research. Find the answers.
Peace.
Love God. Live Long.

Offline cordney

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • We will meet again!!!

« Reply #192 on: October 14, 2009, 12:47:05 AM »

Them fools dont make crap.  diddy is barely makin it anytime u gotta go shows cause ur records flop like pancakes....man i a gree wit u KEV get a freakin job... do some concerts or two but a ***** gotta take care ofa family and you can't do that touring.  Go to college and end up owning a record company.

Diddy's baby mammas make more than we do because of him!  For you to say he is barely making it...that's ridiculous.
‎"It is okay to fail, it is unacceptable to become a failure"

Offline diligent-hands

• LGM Member
  • NEW SINGLE (60 SECOND PRAYER)

« Reply #193 on: October 14, 2009, 01:02:48 AM »
This is my last response on this topic.

Here's an example of how quick things can change in this industry.  Back in 1995, I played for an up-and-coming  hip-hop artist that was signed to Sony Music.  We rehearsed on a Sunday, and went to Atlanta that Tuesday to do his album release party where we played live.  Had a pretty good turnout.  I even met the man that signed Janet Jackson to Virgin Records as he came through to support.  Then after the gig, we hung out at the house of a well-known singer.  Hmmm, so far so good. 

Well, we had such a good set that they made plans to send us to Miami, FL to upon up for George Clinton and the P-Funk All-Stars the next week, also on the bill was The Fugees, and I forget the other act.  We go down to FL, I hang with Pras from the Fugees at the venue most of the afternoon as he was a pretty cool cat.  Met this person, that person.  A lot of big-wigs are in the room. Even met George Clinton and talked with him for a minute as he was very personable.  We have another good set.  So plans are announced that we will be doing a Black college tour with The Fugees who were just about to release The Score CD which went on the sell about 15+ million copies worldwide. 

I'm in touch with management making plans to go on tour.  Even had my future drum tech call to introduce himself to me and get some info for future reference.  Had a tentative endorsement deal with Pearl Drums whose USA headquarters are right here in Nashville. Yadda, yadda, yadda this and that.  Next thing you know, the tour fizzles as supposedly the dates were not confirmed by management or something along that line. 

Well, the artist then booked 2 weeks in Paris, France about a month later opening up for Branford Marsalis which was confirmed.  He had new management which was a somewhat notorious cat we all knew.  He got things done, but he would benefit the most from it.  Well he calls me and asks when do I want to be paid.  I give him the going rate for sidemen(I said between $1000 or $1500 a week for the gig but I had many pros tell me a major label artist should pay you at least $2k even starting out), he offers me what I would miss on my job(which was not much at the time) plus a meal per diem. 

Then he goes into all of the first class living, and women that would be available to me just for going and kept trying to get me to accept his offer instead of making me a real concrete offer.  I am a businessman first when you talk money to me, and the rest of it is not a big deal.  What was really happening is that the manager had to submit a budget to the label for the trip including our salaries, and what cash he did not spend, he would basically keep and just write it off as an expense.  I'm not supposed to know how this goes down, but I knew exactly what was up.   

I was supposed to be blinded by the glitz and glamour and not worry about still being broke when I got back home.  I was not the least bit phased by any of that and I passed on it.  All of the other musicians went and talked about how great it was and how the experience was more important than the money.  Well, I can't pay bills with experience.  But they went without a drummer in the end.  I can't call that part of it, but  no one was really mad at me for keeping it business.  This is an old story, but it still goes on today.  In fact somewhere it's happening this very minute.  I love to play, but I got burned out on bad business even with simple little club gigs where I would play just to not get my money at the end of the night and have to drive out to somebody's house the next week to get paid.  Yeah, it's been done to me with churches and Gospel artists as well.  That get's old REAL quick.   

My career focus is now on producing, composing, songwriting, and eventually a record label.  If a "big-time" gig comes along that is worth doing, I will still only do it if the business is right and I mean that.                       

i honestly didnt read non of this..its just to long..next time get straight to the point..and make it short stop going for a noble peace prize..

and im sorry but i dont believe CHRIS KEE is gonna come home and some 12 year old is gonna have took his spot....not sure what u was thinking..

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #194 on: October 14, 2009, 01:03:28 AM »
  For you to say he is barely making it...that's ridiculous.

as is everything else he says

Offline drumzalicious

• LGM Member
    • Calvin Fenner Website

« Reply #195 on: October 14, 2009, 01:38:47 AM »
So um, about this show.

Personally I believe it was something set up for Diddy to be able to piece together a band that he could pay pretty much nothing because truth be told Diddy isnt selling albums like he used to and most of his money has come from his investments and such not record sales.

Was it a good opportunity? sure. Although i have a feeling whatever contract they have to sign to play is one thats very binding so we will see how that turns out.

As far as making a living as a musician it can be done. A lot of people say do it as a side job but if you have the passion and the drive to do it full time you can make a living off of it. Just playing by itself could support you depending on what kind of lifestyle your trying to live then there is also teaching and such.

As far as a musician making 12,000 a year at a church i say God Bless you and move to the south. There are musicians i know of that make decent money one in particular gets paid around $30,000 a year to play guitar at a church that has around 4000-5000 members. I mean high paying churches are out there you just gotta know where to look if thats your main focus in a church (how much you get paid).

In the end the music industry is almost like any other in the sense that you have to have the will and desire to succeed. You will only go as far as you prepare yourself to go.

Offline Da_Drumma

• LGM Member
    • Da' Drumma on Myspace

« Reply #196 on: October 14, 2009, 08:47:39 AM »
So um, about this show.

Personally I believe it was something set up for Diddy to be able to piece together a band that he could pay pretty much nothing because truth be told Diddy isnt selling albums like he used to and most of his money has come from his investments and such not record sales.

Was it a good opportunity? sure. Although i have a feeling whatever contract they have to sign to play is one thats very binding so we will see how that turns out.

As far as making a living as a musician it can be done. A lot of people say do it as a side job but if you have the passion and the drive to do it full time you can make a living off of it. Just playing by itself could support you depending on what kind of lifestyle your trying to live then there is also teaching and such.

As far as a musician making 12,000 a year at a church i say God Bless you and move to the south. There are musicians i know of that make decent money one in particular gets paid around $30,000 a year to play guitar at a church that has around 4000-5000 members. I mean high paying churches are out there you just gotta know where to look if thats your main focus in a church (how much you get paid).

In the end the music industry is almost like any other in the sense that you have to have the will and desire to succeed. You will only go as far as you prepare yourself to go.

I totally agree with you Cal!! I know exactly what you're tallking about.

Angel:
You wild man, you keep me rolling!!Lol

Offline diligent-hands

• LGM Member
  • NEW SINGLE (60 SECOND PRAYER)

« Reply #197 on: October 14, 2009, 09:08:08 AM »
So um, about this show.

diddy picked some young cats..WHO OBVIOUSLY has nothing to do since they came on the show trying to do something....

even if they not making 1000 a night..im pretty sure giving them 600 a show and going places u only dreamed of! playing in front of 1000's of people that in itself is priceless..

im pretty sure nobody on his band is trippen...cuz aint nobody on LGM making over 500 a night OR playing in LONDON,ITALY,or MOSCOW on a nightly basis..

Offline dude-on-drums

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • www.kevinhayden.net
    • Kevin Hayden

« Reply #198 on: October 14, 2009, 09:56:11 AM »
Lol at people who keep saying "I'm pretty sure this, and I'm pretty sure that..."  Why do you people make up random numbers in your heads?  Why do people assume diddy is at least paying 500 a night?

I would like to know some more make-believe numbers.

How much do you get paid to be on the cover of MD?

How much percentage do you earn on a solo Hudson DVD project?

How much do you get paid to play on MD Fest DVD's?

How much money do you earn every month because you used to play for that person, this person, and them over there...?

How much do you get paid to have your pic on a sabian box of cymbals?

How much do you get paid to perform at a NAMM booth?

How much money do you get paid to do a clinic at Guitar Center?

I know the real answers but I would love to hear what you think, what you assume, what you're pretty sure of, and what makes sense to you.  Just don't give me any hard truth answers cause that's no fun at all lol.

Man I wouldve hated to be some of your parents when it was time to break the news about Santa Clause.  "Shut up dad! 

Offline cordney

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • We will meet again!!!

« Reply #199 on: October 14, 2009, 10:15:58 AM »
This must be the drum room...lol!  I have never played behind any professional artists.  I take it that dude-on-drums has played behind some very famous people...he knows all the answers.  The point I want to make is:  Different musicians will get paid differently for the same gig.

Ex:  Andrew Gouche will get paid more than I would!  I could be a beast like him(I'm not...lol) but because of his name(and skill)recognition; he would get paid more.
‎"It is okay to fail, it is unacceptable to become a failure"
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14   Go Up