LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14   Go Down

Author Topic: Making His Band Part 2  (Read 42130 times)

Offline dude-on-drums

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • www.kevinhayden.net
    • Kevin Hayden

Re: Making His Band Part 2
« Reply #200 on: October 14, 2009, 10:30:01 AM »
Actually I havnt played behind real famous artists because I know all these answers lol.  I have turned down gigs and opportunitys that wouldve brought a lot of hype but hype doesn't pay bills.  Did you read anything Bigfoot-Bigthumb said?

And why do you assume you wouldn't get paid as much or more than Gouche?  The music biz doesn't care about names.  Fans of the music don't care about names.  Only your fello musicians care about names and they will never pay to come see you anyway lol.  Go to a Jay Z concert and see if they list the musicians on the ticket...

Offline drumzalicious

• LGM Member
    • Calvin Fenner Website

« Reply #201 on: October 14, 2009, 11:12:42 AM »
Lol at people who keep saying "I'm pretty sure this, and I'm pretty sure that..."  Why do you people make up random numbers in your heads?  Why do people assume diddy is at least paying 500 a night?

I would like to know some more make-believe numbers.

How much do you get paid to be on the cover of MD?

How much percentage do you earn on a solo Hudson DVD project?

How much do you get paid to play on MD Fest DVD's?

How much money do you earn every month because you used to play for that person, this person, and them over there...?

How much do you get paid to have your pic on a sabian box of cymbals?

How much do you get paid to perform at a NAMM booth?

How much money do you get paid to do a clinic at Guitar Center?

I know the real answers but I would love to hear what you think, what you assume, what you're pretty sure of, and what makes sense to you.  Just don't give me any hard truth answers cause that's no fun at all lol.

Man I wouldve hated to be some of your parents when it was time to break the news about Santa Clause.  "Shut up dad!  I'm pretty sure Santa is gonna bring me a fresh new nut sack to swing on so you and your truth can go to hell"  lol

Well thats the thing. We dont know how much they are getting paid. However im sure Diddy sells out more than Musi

Offline drumzalicious

• LGM Member
    • Calvin Fenner Website

« Reply #202 on: October 14, 2009, 11:15:16 AM »
Well thats the thing. We dont know how much they are getting paid. However im sure Diddy sells out more than Musi

Messed up my post lol

I was saying im sure  he sells out more than Musiq Soulchild and in bigger places. For that reason they have to at least be getting 400 a night. If not then they are getting raped because last i heard Musiq was paying like 350 a night with his new band but making them have to come to atlanta first and catch a flight. so if you live in NY you gotta get yourself to Atlanta just to fly to wherever the show is.

Also if they are smart they would be members of the Union and the Union wont let those dudes do a tour with him for dirt.

Offline tko05

• LGM Member

« Reply #203 on: October 14, 2009, 11:15:56 AM »
Question for DOD/Flat/BFBT...

What about people like Vinnie, Dave Weckl, Calvin Etc... Are they in the same boat as all these musicians that you're talking about? It seems like they are doing pretty well, but then again I don't know for sure... But if they are making it, what is the difference between them and anyone else? They started out as aspiring musicians just like everyone else. These are real question by the way, I'm not just trying to argue...
“If Better Is Possible, Good Is No Longer An Option.

Offline L.V.Drumma

• LGM Member

« Reply #204 on: October 14, 2009, 11:21:26 AM »
*lurks in the "shadows"*

Offline diligent-hands

• LGM Member
  • NEW SINGLE (60 SECOND PRAYER)

« Reply #205 on: October 14, 2009, 11:25:25 AM »
Lol at people who keep saying "I'm pretty sure this, and I'm pretty sure that..."  Why do you people make up random numbers in your heads?  Why do people assume diddy is at least paying 500 a night?

I would like to know some more make-believe numbers.

How much do you get paid to be on the cover of MD?

How much percentage do you earn on a solo Hudson DVD project?

How much do you get paid to play on MD Fest DVD's?

How much money do you earn every month because you used to play for that person, this person, and them over there...?

How much do you get paid to have your pic on a sabian box of cymbals?

How much do you get paid to perform at a NAMM booth?

How much money do you get paid to do a clinic at Guitar Center?

I know the real answers but I would love to hear what you think, what you assume, what you're pretty sure of, and what makes sense to you.  Just don't give me any hard truth answers cause that's no fun at all lol.

Man I wouldve hated to be some of your parents when it was time to break the news about Santa Clause.  "Shut up dad!  I'm pretty sure Santa is gonna bring me a fresh new nut sack to swing on so you and your truth can go to hell"  lol

Bruh u need to chill..u not captain planet or the pink ranger of lgm...u seemed humble at one point but ever since u went PLANTNIUM on CDBABY u flipped the script

..stop hating on these cats, cuz i bet MY LIFE that if diddy calls you RIGHT now to go on tour with him in one week from now you'll be making BLOGS from your bunk of the tour bus..so please take ur lame LOGIC else where..cuz im broke and im not BUYING IT..

Offline Metronome

• LGM Member

« Reply #206 on: October 14, 2009, 11:35:47 AM »
Bruh u need to chill..u not captain planet or the pink ranger of lgm...u seemed humble at one point but ever since u went PLANTNIUM on CDBABY u flipped the script

..stop hating on these cats, cuz i bet MY LIFE that if diddy calls you RIGHT now to go on tour with him in one week from now you'll be making BLOGS from your bunk of the tour bus..so please take ur lame LOGIC else where..cuz im broke and im not BUYING IT..

Dude...im not tryin to get into it all...BUT....he does make a valid point...

What hes sayin is it basically comes to a point where you have to make a decision thats economically sound for the musician and his livelyhood...a lot of times being on the road constricts you and your whole life process...I saw my boy STOP playing for a national artist because of this...i was just like you thinkin "aw man you stupid" blah blah blah but nows hes waaaaaaaaybetter off than he was..

Like what would you rather do...make $12000 on a 3 month tour with no benefits, still havin to pay taxes out of it, missin ya fam, dealin wit stress and fatigue or would you rather be at home for those same 3 months, see ya fam, have ya everyday 9-5, do ya own music thing (church, clubs, w/e) and set up ya own musical identity and STILL have just as much, if not more money...
Keep It Funky

Offline 3rd-Day

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #207 on: October 14, 2009, 11:43:50 AM »
Wow! While some of the post in here are straight hillarious this thread has turned out to be very imformative.

DOD, FlatFifth and BFBT made some very valid truthful points.

The music business is a _____ and she knows it.   
Im too tall to act small.

Offline dude-on-drums

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • www.kevinhayden.net
    • Kevin Hayden

« Reply #208 on: October 14, 2009, 11:46:28 AM »

What about people like Vinnie, Dave Weckl, Calvin Etc... Are they in the same boat as all these musicians that you're talking about? It seems like they are doing pretty well, but then again I don't know for sure... But if they are making it, what is the difference between them and anyone else? They started out as aspiring musicians just like everyone else. These are real question by the way, I'm not just trying to argue...

Go ahead and put Calvin and Vinnie in the same boat but you cant add Dave with them.  Unlike Vinnie and Calvin, Dave is a solo artist.  That means he is the CEO of his operations as well as a side man when needed, which in return, ups his worth.  Calvin and Vinnie are great session cats but they are only paid 1 time for the session unless they have writing credits, in which most cases if not all of them, they dont.  Dave makes money in his sleep.  He wakes up, (like me but on a way smaller scale,) and discovers that he sold some records last night.  Thats cash going directly to him.  If Fred Hammond or Herbie Hancock sell records, Vinnie and Calvin dont see another dime.  A musician in the shoes of Vinnie and Calvin have to work 3 times as hard in order to live a decent life and 6 times as hard to put any money up for retirement.  Why do you think they are on so many records?  Its not because no one else in Chicago can do the job.  Its not because Vinnie is the best.  Chick Corea and Fred Hammond have both replaced drummers in the past and soon they will do it again.

The more product that Dave puts out, the more money he earns every month.  He has something like 9 solo albums and 5 dvds.  Again, making money while he's on side gigs.  

The key is to have multiple streams of income.  Product.  That is the only way to survive.  I dont encorage touring as an easily replaceable musician, where if the budget is low, the artist can just sing or rap to tracks.  Its a good start while youre 19 and 20, but at some time, you have to do something for yourself because that kind of money is low and unstable.

I wish I grabbed this concept a long time ago but no one ever wants to be real about anything so they let you drown in "hype."

Just think about it guys.  If the game was so stable, then cats wouldnt have such long resumes lol.  How many NBA teams has Kobe Bryant played for?  Now thats stability.  The cats who get traded here and there are not making big bucks.  They are barely staying on a team.  And in terms of money, I am quite generous to compare the NBA to pro musicians cause they are no where in the same tax brackets.  

Offline fLaT-fIfTh

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • http://www.gospelchops.com

« Reply #209 on: October 14, 2009, 11:49:29 AM »

tko05:

I'm glad you asked. Thank you for the pm, by the way. It shows that you are truly seeking knowledge and not trying to get involved in the routine drama. I'll start another thread so we can seriously discuss it.
Calvin is on LGM. Ask him to share with you. I'm sure you can learn plenty from him.

Meet me in the other topic...

Offline sugabear

• LGM Member
  • Wolfgang, if you don't know...find out! Seriously!

« Reply #210 on: October 14, 2009, 11:59:18 AM »

The switch to Saturday night was a main problem for Diddy but, it was a great solution for MTV.  There is just no way this show could compete with Monday Night Football.

I honestly dont even understand why most of you found this show interesting.  You say you hate it but, you were watching every episode religiously lol.

Why does it matter who plays for Diddy?  Truth is, it doesn't take much skill to play loops.  Truth is, you play more challenging music in church.  Truth is, most of you make more money on sunday than the musicians on that show.  Truth is, that tour will not pay good.  Why?  Because Diddy doesn't have to pay good.  His name is big enough to draw anxious, un-educated and "hype" addicted musicians who are happy as long as everyone "thinks" they are living a great road life, and everyone "thinks" they're getting paid a lot of money. 

And why does everyone assume that these musicians are making so much money?  Why, because Diddy has money?  Because Jay Z has money?  Here is your wake-up call.  McDonald's is a multi-billion dollar company.  Need I say more?  I think I do.  McDonald's employees come and go like tour musicians and their salaries are not too far apart.  Actually, you are better off working at McDonald's because at least your job has stability and you're able to get some form of medical and dental benefits.  The musicians who made the band are at home right now, waiting on a tour that doesn't start till next year.  There will be so much time in-between, that you may not even see that band at all.  It could be an entirley different band.  Why?  Because no one cares anyway.  No one buys a diddy ticket for band members that you cant even see on stage lol.

These are just my efforts to get you guys to see the big picture before you step out there.  This is a small community of gospel drummers who seem to be focused on all the wrong aspects of the music game.  Your actual skill level on your instrument is the fun and easy part.  Making a profitable name for yourself is the hard part.  Making your own band.  Making your own cd, dvd, tour...becoming the artist.

Peace and Love,

Kev

I can attest to this post. I know someone right now on tour with Lil Wayne as a producer and keyboard player. He accepted the measley pay of $200 per week to tour with him. ridiculous!!
My goal as a musician is to be better than myself.
check out my site www.tampogo.com/alsmith!!!

Offline diligent-hands

• LGM Member
  • NEW SINGLE (60 SECOND PRAYER)

« Reply #211 on: October 14, 2009, 12:07:58 PM »
I can attest to this post. I know someone right now on tour with Lil Wayne as a producer and keyboard player. He accepted the measley pay of $200 per week to tour with him. ridiculous!!

now is he in it for the money??? OR for the travel or just to say he's with lil wayne having fun drinking smoking chilling with females?????..cuz obviously he's a moron..and tell him I SAID IT..

Offline drumzalicious

• LGM Member
    • Calvin Fenner Website

« Reply #212 on: October 14, 2009, 12:48:21 PM »

thats sad. i can make that staying at home at a store front church.

Offline JFunky

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Marvin McQuitty jr. (Thank You)

« Reply #213 on: October 14, 2009, 01:00:17 PM »
The key is to have multiple streams of income.  Product.  That is the only way to survive.  I dont encorage touring as an easily replaceable musician, where if the budget is low, the artist can just sing or rap to tracks.  Its a good start while youre 19 and 20, but at some time, you have to do something for yourself because that kind of money is low and unstable.

I wish I grabbed this concept a long time ago but no one ever wants to be real about anything so they let you drown in "hype."  

...funny thing is that I heard something very similar to this from a great session drumset player.... "Russ Miller."  Go figure...
Psalms 144.1 - "Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle."

Offline Da_Drumma

• LGM Member
    • Da' Drumma on Myspace

« Reply #214 on: October 14, 2009, 01:31:12 PM »
Wow this has gotten wayyy out of control. IMO I think it all has to do with the goals you set for yourself. Can't nobody in here tell you what's best for you except yourself. I don't care how much experience you have you will never know how someone TRULY feels inside of their circumstances. Yes you can give insight and wisdom based on things you went through, but your way isn't the only way. If you feel you can live a successful life off of 300-400 a week then by all means go for it, but if you know it will lead you to failure then it wouldn't be a smart decision. Only you know what you want out of life. I'm not going to dare say people can't be sucessful or achieve their goals by going on tour, I don't know that. I know I can't, but everyones story isn't the same as mine. I guess all in all just be wise about what you do. Set goals for yourself and evaluate the pros and cons. If you happy livin off 30,000 a year then I'm happy for ya (not saying it can't be done, plenty of people are doing it) but if you know you can't operate like that then you know what you have to do. That's my 2 cents......

Offline min_amw

• LGM Member
    • Divine Soldiers

« Reply #215 on: October 14, 2009, 03:15:16 PM »

Good stuff!
Love God. Live Long.

Offline MyVirtue

• LGM Member
  • Blue Tears; P!nk Dreams"
    • YouTube

« Reply #216 on: October 14, 2009, 03:30:26 PM »
OMG.... LOLing... ROTFLOLing... CRYING... NOT BREATHING... CALLING THE PARAMEDICS.... LOLROTFLOL someone help me ova hea!!!

At this thread!!!! OMG..... you drummers... SMH...
*note to self* NEVER... NEVER enter this site without weapons and body armor!!!!
and GEEESSSSSHHHH!!!!! where are the moderators when ya need them!!!!
Enchanted Living!! I'm living in a kind of daydream; I'm happy as a queen!

Offline JFunky

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Marvin McQuitty jr. (Thank You)

« Reply #217 on: October 14, 2009, 03:35:44 PM »
OMG.... LOLing... ROTFLOLing... CRYING... NOT BREATHING... CALLING THE PARAMEDICS.... LOLROTFLOL someone help me ova hea!!!

At this thread!!!! OMG..... you drummers... SMH...
*note to self* NEVER... NEVER enter this site without weapons and body armor!!!!
and GEEESSSSSHHHH!!!!! where are the moderators when ya need them!!!!

...they're out on tour with the Ronald McDonald band at $7.25 an hour.  ;D
Psalms 144.1 - "Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle."

Offline MyVirtue

• LGM Member
  • Blue Tears; P!nk Dreams"
    • YouTube

« Reply #218 on: October 14, 2009, 03:43:31 PM »
...they're out on tour with the Ronald McDonald band at $7.25 an hour.  ;D

LOL... i guess.... I'm not sure if i should laugh or cry... LGM.. the G stood for gospel.. Why in the world are the brethern so evil up in the joint!!!! i mean, it's comedy.. but i'm crying on the inside for the poor soul who was called a pink ranger.. that was kinda mean... but i SOOOOOOO LOLed!!! I'm still going through, re-reading... and re-laughing lol
Enchanted Living!! I'm living in a kind of daydream; I'm happy as a queen!

Offline Da_Drumma

• LGM Member
    • Da' Drumma on Myspace

« Reply #219 on: October 14, 2009, 04:05:37 PM »
I mean it is so sad, and the sad part about it is that this could have been avoided if people can just keep their darn mouth closed sometimes. I mean you wanna act all caring, humble, and knowledgeable...then you turn around and start showing your behind.  In reality you think you're on point, but truth is being that this is a christian (Gospel) site you're really making yourself look like a Jxxxxxx....(Donkey)
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14   Go Up