LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need Help Converting  (Read 1189 times)

Offline xcalybur32

• LGM Member

Need Help Converting
« on: August 11, 2009, 09:59:06 AM »
Good Day LGM,

I'm in need of some help.  I'm a recently converted drummer that's learning bass and I want to in my heart play 6-String. Would it be easier to learn on a 4-String before jumping on a 6 or does it really matter? Also could someone suggest good gopsel or quartet grooves? I can read tab and notes.  Last one I'm looking at the Ibanez SR506 as a replacement to my ...don't laugh...Squire 4 String and I was wondering if theres a better bass for the price (GC $629.99)  Thanks for your help.

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

Re: Need Help Converting
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 10:27:08 AM »
why would anybody laugh. thats similar, if not the same thing, many of us started on. You ask would it be easier to learn on a 4, but if you have a 4 should that even matter? If thats what you have, learn on it. I started out on a Squire 4 string because thats all i had access to. and i didnt think twice about it because i wanted to learn.

The 4 is the foundation. So those same 4 strings will be there on a 5 and a 6 stringer. If you cant get the basic handling of a 4, no need in going beyond.

The question of a better bass for the price is subjective, and more than anything depends on the circumstances. Are you willing to buy used? Do you need to buy ASAP (sometimes good deals come around if u wait a bit)? Considering certain brands only?
For my God... let "Golden Axe" prevail.

Offline xcalybur32

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 10:52:18 AM »
Thank You Floaded for the advice and not laughing! ha I guess it doesn't matter about the 4 because when I'm practicing I'm enjoying myself anyway. I figure maybe just going straight to a 6 being that the 4 is the foundation I can incorporate the B and the C strings into playing while I'm learning the basic 4 anyway. You know for scales and such.  I'm not in any big rush on a 6 that's why I'm asking around, I messed with Ibanez and thought it felt way better than the Squire due to fret spacing and the thin neck because of my stubby hands. I'm open for brands and such.  I can buy used or new.

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 11:15:41 AM »

The 4 is the foundation. So those same 4 strings will be there on a 5 and a 6 stringer. If you cant get the basic handling of a 4, no need in going beyond.

I beg to differ.

I doesn't matter what you start on.  As long as you learn proper technique the number of strings doesn't matter at all.

If you're fresh in the water you don't know the difference at all.
Somebody put me in the key of E#

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 11:22:49 AM »
I beg to differ.

I doesn't matter what you start on.  As long as you learn proper technique the number of strings doesn't matter at all.

If you're fresh in the water you don't know the difference at all.

ur absolutely right. but what im saying is he already has a 4. if he cant fret a string, hold the bass right, pluck a string on that 4, the 5 or 6 wont be any different.

Offline Kelz-Da-Basshead

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 11:24:49 AM »
You should shop around.  Now is a good time guitar center is having their 45th anniversary sale so you can probably find some good deals. 
you got to hear numbers

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 11:32:03 AM »
I guess it doesn't matter about the 4 because when I'm practicing I'm enjoying myself anyway. I figure maybe just going straight to a 6 being that the 4 is the foundation I can incorporate the B and the C strings into playing while I'm learning the basic 4 anyway. You know for scales and such.  I'm not in any big rush on a 6 that's why I'm asking around, I messed with Ibanez and thought it felt way better than the Squire due to fret spacing and the thin neck because of my stubby hands. I'm open for brands and such.  I can buy used or new.

as long as ur learning on what you have, i say u can make the jump to a 6 whenever u feel you are ready to, especially since u tried it and u say it feels better to u. i just didnt want u to feel that you couldnt play or learn on the 4 in the meantime simply because u want a 6 and it isnt a 6, thinking that it may be a hindrance or something like that.

but the used market is a good place to look. given the economic times there are plenty of people looking to unload extra gear that they dont need to have some extra cash on hand. maybe something matching what ur looking for will turn up.

Offline Kelz-Da-Basshead

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 11:57:23 AM »
craigslist
you got to hear numbers

Offline xcalybur32

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 12:17:58 PM »
Thanks Floaded, Kelz and Jeremyr for the advice, Yeah I've been on CL strong for months and in my area I haven't had luck finding a decent 6 string in MD other than going to a GC and such.  Playing wise I'm getting it together IMO on the 4 string, but I won't really know until I get a church to sit in where I don't have to get behind a kit. Practicing at home can only get you so far....  Thanks everyone

Offline kevmove02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 12:41:02 PM »
Great thread! To start, I currently own a Squier 70's Vintage Modified P that I absolutely love to play. I bought it because I love the P Bass sound, but didn't want to invest a lot of money into a bass I wouldn't play often (I'm addicted to the J-Bass sound). I know people have a negative opinion of the Squier line, but they have changed a lot of minds with the introduction of the Vintage Modified Series (VM P, VM J, and VM Fretless), the Classic Vintage Series (Classic 50 P and Classic 60's J).

I started on a 4 string, but soon bought a 5 string. At first, I had a problem switching back and forth, due to different string spacing. Then I found a Yamaha RBX 765A and my problems were over. The string spacing matched my 4 string, so I stopped "missing the strings. here are some of the things that I've experienced so far.

1. By using the B String as an anchor, I improved my e string technique

2. That practicing 2 octave scales really tremendously help with finding the best position to play runs with minimal movement up and down the fretboard.

3. Doing my woodshed exercises on the 5 string make playing the 4 string much easier.

4. Having the extra real estate that the B string provides is a lifesaver. Have you ever started a run on a 4 string, feel that you want to go deeper, only to realize you've run out of fretboard?

5. Unless you are really good at keeping two sets of fingering in your head, you should commit to learning on either the 4 string or the 5 string. You already have enough things to focus on.

6. With all this in mind, I would focus on finding a 5 string that would serve as your workhorse. This way you have the option of playing it like a 4 string, then switching to playing all 5 when the time is right. However, if your like the rest of us, you'll be gassing and end up with a bass for every situation.

Offline Torch7

• LGM Member
    • Gospel Bass Guitar Lessons Site

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2009, 01:43:36 PM »
As usual I am late to the party...and Floaded done at all the Chips & Dip... :)

Everyone already pretty much covered it.  I just want to reiterate to purchase what sounds good and feels good to you.  I have a friend who plays a 4 string Squier P-Bass, with the highest action you can imagine, but he makes that bass sing.

Offline xcalybur32

• LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2009, 02:27:39 PM »
Nah man there's still Chips here bro, and I made some Tang cuz all the Cherry 7 up is gone. lol

Offline Torch7

• LGM Member
    • Gospel Bass Guitar Lessons Site

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2009, 02:30:52 PM »
Nah man there's still Chips here bro, and I made some Tang cuz all the Cherry 7 up is gone. lol

LOL!  Tang.. now that's a blast from the past.

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2009, 03:45:13 PM »
As usual I am late to the party...and Floaded done at all the Chips & Dip... :)

thats what happens when people try to go for the fashionably late entrance. now go get a cup of Tang and help clean up. lol

Offline Kelz-Da-Basshead

• LGM Member

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2009, 03:51:49 PM »
Great thread! To start, I currently own a Squier 70's Vintage Modified P that I absolutely love to play. I bought it because I love the P Bass sound, but didn't want to invest a lot of money into a bass I wouldn't play often (I'm addicted to the J-Bass sound). I know people have a negative opinion of the Squier line, but they have changed a lot of minds with the introduction of the Vintage Modified Series (VM P, VM J, and VM Fretless), the Classic Vintage Series (Classic 50 P and Classic 60's J).

I started on a 4 string, but soon bought a 5 string. At first, I had a problem switching back and forth, due to different string spacing. Then I found a Yamaha RBX 765A and my problems were over. The string spacing matched my 4 string, so I stopped "missing the strings. here are some of the things that I've experienced so far.

1. By using the B String as an anchor, I improved my e string technique

2. That practicing 2 octave scales really tremendously help with finding the best position to play runs with minimal movement up and down the fretboard.

3. Doing my woodshed exercises on the 5 string make playing the 4 string much easier.

4. Having the extra real estate that the B string provides is a lifesaver. Have you ever started a run on a 4 string, feel that you want to go deeper, only to realize you've run out of fretboard?

5. Unless you are really good at keeping two sets of fingering in your head, you should commit to learning on either the 4 string or the 5 string. You already have enough things to focus on.

6. With all this in mind, I would focus on finding a 5 string that would serve as your workhorse. This way you have the option of playing it like a 4 string, then switching to playing all 5 when the time is right. However, if your like the rest of us, you'll be gassing and end up with a bass for every situation.

Honestly i play a 5 string and i still wish i could go lower.

And the more you practice on each one the better you will get on playing a 4 or 5. because id say about 90 percent of the struggle people have when switching is mental.  A 5 string only extends your range by 5 notes. So the majority of your playing is still gonna be on the other 4 strings. And the six string is only needed for soloing or if your chord game is on point but, i incorporate chords into my playing all the time and i play a 5. And a good chunk of the popular bass players you will hear about play a 4. (Victor Wooten, Jaco Pastorius, Stanley Clarke, Marcus Miller, Bootsy Collins, Thad Tribbett, Dwayne Thomas, Reggie Parker, and many others.) At the end of the day adding a string is not gonna make you much better than you are. It just gives you more options. I really dont recomend buying a bass soley for the sake of having a 6. You may pass on a 4 or 5 that may suit you better than the six and you may even save some money. 
I own the SR505 though and its a really great bass.  You can get alot of versatility out of it.  And it has twenty four frets which gives you extended upper range for chording.
you got to hear numbers
Pages: [1]   Go Up