LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Your Favorite Bass and Why?  (Read 7216 times)

Offline sixstringpoet

• LGM Member
  • keep sound wisdom and discretion: Proverbs 3:21
    • 6stringpoet

Re: Your Favorite Bass and Why?
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2009, 04:59:49 PM »
I would have to say my custom ken bebensee 5 string.  i love the deep tone and growl, and it is kind of heavy (heavier basses seem to have more ariculation imo)  wide string spacing, bart p/us, bart guts, 2tek bridge, what else could you want?  i play all of my basses but keep coming back to the bebensee.

I have not tried a MTD yet, one of those may change my opinion.

Offline hands5

• LGM Member

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2009, 02:36:12 PM »
What's up my fellow bass players?! I want to know what everybody's favorite bass is and why. So let's start with me. After 20yrs of playing, traveling, sessions etc... I've discovered that a good old Jazz Bass just does it for me. The sound is thick enough to give u that "hump" as I call it, but yet thin enough to cut on stage and in the mix on a record. I can take it on a gig with Donnie McClurkin to a studio session with Chris Brown to a jazz festival with Boney James, and back in the studio doin a rock record. They're just that versatile. The thing that baffles me is that I've never liked them, but I knew they were somewhat of an industry standard primarily in Jazz and R&B music.  In fact I'm on my 4th or 5th jazz bass now...lol Welp I know now that I'm definitely a jazz bass guy. So what's your favorite?
not only have I've been back on the Jazz bass ( since 03),I pretty much back to playing a 4 string again both my 74 and 64 CS Relic which both are passive....... I still do play my MIM 5 in church

Offline hands5

• LGM Member

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2009, 02:42:11 PM »
Alembic.

Now, I'm speaking as one who has played for a long time, but semi-professionally at best and near zero studio time.  So I play what I want, not necessarily what a band leader or studio tech is looking for.

I like Alembic because they are top of the game in terms of build quality, craftsmanship, quaility of materials, and options.  They are pricey as all heck (buy USED).

Alembic invented active circuitry in basses.  Since they build their instruments, their electronics, their pickups, their bridges, it all works when it comes together.  The only things that they buy are tuning pegs and strings and maybe their knobs.  They have a very flexible tone palette (due to the electronics) and are very powerful in a live situation. 

I've been told that studio techs HATE them because it's hard to dial them into the mix.  Especially if you are trying to make an Alembic sound like a P-Bass.  Of course, in my opinion, that's sort of like trying to make a Corvette sound like a Corolla.

As far as more MAINSTREAM brands, I'd have to say that Music Man would be my favorite.  Just love the tones you can get out of the Bongo in particular.  If you can get past the looks, it's HOT.  For that matter, don't sleep on the Music Man Big Al.  Three pickups and out-of-this-world electronics and tone controls.  Maybe even uglier than the Bongo, but killer tone.
Now I said to myself if I were to get a different bass and was willing to pay Premium $$$$$$,then it would be an Alembick,and although I play mainly passive basses,I did get to try the Big Al and I must say that I was very impressed with it

Offline krzysztof

• LGM Member

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2009, 04:55:29 AM »
I have one and I absolutely love it! Great active tone, 24 frets with a 35" scale.
What's the string spacing like on Schecter 5's and 6's? I'm not able to try one but am interested.

Offline malthumb

• LGM Member
  • Praise Is What I Do
    • Your Car Does What?!?!?

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2009, 05:43:45 AM »
Now I said to myself if I were to get a different bass and was willing to pay Premium $$$$$$,then it would be an Alembic....

I paid $1,100 for the first Alembic I ever bought.  I traded that + $400 for the second one.  Eventually sold that one for about $1,900

The third one was a steal.  I was looking for short scale strings for the second one and saw it hanging on the "repair" wall at a music store.  The logos were off and the pickups and electronics had been replaced by EMGs.  They were asking $950.  I came back the next day and offered $450 cash.  Got it for $475. Spent some money bringing it back to original condition and sold it for $2,100.

Got #4 off the internet for $1,900.  Sold it a year or so later for $1,900.

Paid big bucks for #5.  Stanley Clarke was liquidating all his equipment back in 2000.  I made him an offer.  There's a cool back-story to that bass.  Maybe I'll tell it in another thread.  Still have this one.

Paid big bucks for #6.  That's because it's the only Alembic I've actually bought NEW.  Spent a lot of time speccing it out.  It arrived the same week in 2000 as Alembic #5.  I sold #4 and #2 to pay for it.  I still have this one and it continues to be my main bass.

You can find reasonably priced Alembics on the used market if you know what you are looking for and don't go for the top of the top of the line.

FAITH unites people
RELIGION divides FAITH

Offline dhagler

• LGM Member

« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2009, 06:45:38 AM »
What's the string spacing like on Schecter 5's and 6's? I'm not able to try one but am interested.
The spacing on the 5 is narrower than on my Jazz V, but that hasn't been a big problem for me (at least not yet).

Offline hands5

• LGM Member

« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2009, 07:47:01 AM »
You know late last nite I was hanging out with a couple buddys in my home studio,and both of them commented that I had went thru the "gammot", if you will of basses that were twice the price of some of my studio equipment that I have,jeez for that matter I could've (and should've ) added another addition to my house for the money I shell'ed out on basses only to come back to a Jazz bass.  :D

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2009, 08:17:59 AM »
There's just something about a jazz bass to me.

Next on my list is a tie between a CallowHill MDM5 and a Ken Smith BSR5.  Those both are just RIGHT, however the CallowHill is just leaps and bounds more comfy than a smith could ever dream of being.
Somebody put me in the key of E#

Offline ddwilkins

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Arsenal!!!!
    • D'Wayne's Spot

« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2009, 08:20:30 AM »
Man, I'm patiently waiting for my blessing so that I'll be able to have the option to choose a custom bass from the many luthiers out there. J, I love looking at the stank nasty on youtube doc. That VTC has that bass sangin'!!!!!
Keep God first and he'll do the rest!!!

Offline dhagler

• LGM Member

« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2009, 08:31:25 AM »
There's just something about a jazz bass to me.

That's why I brought my Fender Jazz V home from the consignment shop even though I have the Schecter Studio-5. And why I will never part ways with my Fretless Jazz 4.

Even if I win the lottery and get that Sadowsky. ;D

Offline lowlife350

• LGM Member

« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2009, 11:24:13 AM »

A quick measurment this morning yields just a little more than 16.5mm, but well under 17mm.

I've not seen the exact spacing listed anywhere.

Offline Musicman_00

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • "Don't think! Feel!"-Bruce Lee

« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2009, 05:47:39 PM »
Normally I would say Fender Jazz which sounds great. One bass that is copied by meany companies. But I played a Conklin Groove Tools 5 at GC and boy did it sound good! The fenders in the room just couldn't touch it. (even the American Made ones) Maybe it was the barts but it had adjustments for the preamp for gain and attack or something like that. I fell in love with it.
"Music is a language. The bigger your vocabulary, the more options you have to choose from."

Offline blacklw234

• LGM Member

« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2009, 06:00:00 PM »
A lot of cats say the Fender Jazz is their weapon. My main axe is the ibanez BTB 1305E with custom barts. I must say,my next bass will be the fender jazz 5 deluxe active.
I play a LTD ESP C-305 Bass

Offline gambit23435

• LGM Member
  • http://myspace.com/bassin4god
    • Bassin 4 God

« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2009, 07:30:08 AM »
I have 3 that are in rotation right now. But number 1 is my Schecter Studio 6, upgraded with Bart EQ and pickups. Number 2 is my DP Custom 5 string with Bart EQ and Mighty Mite pickups. Number 3 is my Squier Deluxe Jazz bass.  ;D

I love the feel of the Schecter, and now add the perfect tone to it, and it is a well balanced instrument.  :)

"A great guitar player is a great guitar player. A great bass player is a great musician"

Offline IotaNet

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2009, 08:59:00 PM »
I have owned a LOT of basses -- from cheap to boutique. The one that works best for me is my Stealth Bongo -- for 2 reasons.

1) The ergonomics are wonderful. The string spacing is 17.5 mm and that's interesting b/c I always thought 19mm was best for me but the Bongo works. That plus the neck, which feels perfect.

2) The Tone is ridiculous. The bongo has an 18v, 4-band preamp and it seems like there isn't any tone I can't get our of this bass. (Actually, it doesn't do a good job on the Marcus Miller "splanky" slap tone but that's not my deal.)

The bottom line is that I have played on a lot of dates in a lot of churches through a lot of sound systems and the Bongo has NEVER let me down.

Offline malthumb

• LGM Member
  • Praise Is What I Do
    • Your Car Does What?!?!?

« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2009, 04:55:14 AM »
I have owned a LOT of basses -- from cheap to boutique. The one that works best for me is my Stealth Bongo -- for 2 reasons.

1) The ergonomics are wonderful. The string spacing is 17.5 mm and that's interesting b/c I always thought 19mm was best for me but the Bongo works. That plus the neck, which feels perfect.

2) The Tone is ridiculous. The bongo has an 18v, 4-band preamp and it seems like there isn't any tone I can't get our of this bass. (Actually, it doesn't do a good job on the Marcus Miller "splanky" slap tone but that's not my deal.)

The bottom line is that I have played on a lot of dates in a lot of churches through a lot of sound systems and the Bongo has NEVER let me down.

Man, I can co-sign just about everything you've said.  I had a Bongo 5 string for about 18 months and it was nothing short of amazing.  One of several basses where I was second guessing myself as I boxed it up to ship to its new home.  I already had two-off-the hook fretted 5s and a fretless 5 on the way, so the Bongo had to go.  It held it's own, though, with basses that cost twice what I paid for it.

FAITH unites people
RELIGION divides FAITH

Offline musiqisme26

• LGM Member
  • Yaron MusicCo. Gospels Fresh Sound!

« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2009, 08:29:53 AM »
Tobias Tobias Tobias

i have owned a total of 7 basses

#1 Toby Pro 5 - traded to Guitar center for marcus miller

#2 1994 Tobias Killer B 5 - Sold about 2 years ago in florida and it recently on ebay

#3 1990-91 Tobias Standard 5 #5 of 400 - sold to buy the classic

#4 1993 Tobias Classic 5 sn. 303x - current bass

#5 1994 Tobias Basic 6 sn. 336x - current bass

#6 Fender Jazz Marcus Miller 4 - traded for a rhodes suitcase

#7 Fender Jazz 70's reissue 4 - bought from trinatrine's brother, sold to finance my sx project

My fave of all is my Basic 6 and the killer B, the marcus was great too but it sounded like a fender (if that makes sense) i like a bass to have its own character no matter the brand

right now im looking at adding atleast 2 more basses the SX and another tobias, saw a pre-gib tobias 4 for $1800 and another low serial (gibson) classic 5, and zebrawood basic 6.........

Offline liitlebass

• LGM Member

« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2009, 08:05:20 AM »
I own a squier deluxe 5 string jazz bass. I do agree that the jazz bass is very versatile to any music that you play. But my favorte bass is the  Ibanez sr505. I like Ibanez basses becaus they have a very fast neck and you can get great tone from them. I play the sr505 alot more than the jazz because of the weight. I use the jazz bass for more of RB and blues. I have played a BSR Ken Smith. I was not impressed enough to spend 3000 dollers.  I played a Sr700 prestige( Ibanez)and I was impressed becuase of the tone and the weight. It cost 1000 less and had better tone than the Ken Smith. Trust me I still think that Ken Smiths are a beast! But I can t afford to buy that right now!So I advise any one to buy a jazz bass or a Ibanez bass.

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2009, 08:38:18 AM »
I own a squier deluxe 5 string jazz bass. I do agree that the jazz bass is very versatile to any music that you play. But my favorte bass is the  Ibanez sr505. I like Ibanez basses becaus they have a very fast neck and you can get great tone from them. I play the sr505 alot more than the jazz because of the weight. I use the jazz bass for more of RB and blues. I have played a BSR Ken Smith. I was not impressed enough to spend 3000 dollers.  I played a Sr700 prestige( Ibanez)and I was impressed becuase of the tone and the weight. It cost 1000 less and had better tone than the Ken Smith. Trust me I still think that Ken Smiths are a beast! But I can t afford to buy that right now!So I advise any one to buy a jazz bass or a Ibanez bass.

welcome to lgm!  We hope you continue to bless us with your presence.
Somebody put me in the key of E#

Offline dfwkeys

• LGM Member

« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2009, 09:02:58 AM »
I went through so many basses, from fender, to schecter, and high priced ones, that i never owned but played and didn't care for it. But hands down, my fav is my SX P bass... It has growl, tone, punch, and overal is my favorite. 

When i first started playing bass i hated the P, cuz i thought it was bland, but my sx P sounds better then the fender american P. it's not modded, but i do believe it has to do with the strings, (flats)... i have no idea what kind they are, i bought a used fender jazz bass with the flats on them, and put the strings on P bass, and wow, it was the perfect tone.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up