LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Eddie Heyward and Melvin Crispell doing "Thank U Lord"..............Wow  (Read 8134 times)

Offline QCdrummer

• LGM Member
  • "Yo Grandad! Buy me some Vic Firths!"

Seems like Eddie gets faster on the set everytime I see him........the lick at 1:50 is insane........and those Soultones sound heavenly!!!!

Praise Him with clashing cymbals!

Offline musician4life

• LGM Member

Re: Eddie Heyward and Melvin Crispell doing "Thank U Lord"..............Wow
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 09:02:15 PM »
>:(

Ok...

...you can AT LEAST just groove it during 'Thank You Lord', man. Good grief. Eddie Heyward can play, but this clip made me throw up a little in my mouth.

Shoot me or sue me, but I swear this shed culture is starting to shape some of these guys approach to music.

Offline lockslie1

• LGM Member
  • Skyline!!!
    • PTS MUSIC COMPANY

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 10:38:37 PM »
The cymbals sound good. Bass player was good. Thanks for sharing.

Offline QCdrummer

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 10:44:59 PM »
yeah its a bit much, and I'm not a fan of "sheds during the song" but thats just Eddie though. He can keep the pocket when they want him to.

Offline Hotsticks1

• LGM Member
  • Welcome to my world...
    • Myspace

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 11:24:17 PM »
I have to disagree with the rest of these comments. You always hear the phrase that there's a time and a place for everything. Look in the background and you'll see people walking around...It's obviously offering time...Where it can be the only time for musicians to have the chance to "Wild Out" in a service...And I didn't see where it was shed-ish. He gave it just enough flavor just so you know it's Eddie Heyward...A few sweet licks here and there and good clean playing the rest of the time.
"If thine enemy wrong thee...Buy each of his children a drum"

Offline MarcGermany

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 12:47:51 AM »
Nice.......thanks for sharing......

Offline QCdrummer

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 08:19:56 AM »
I have to disagree with the rest of these comments. You always hear the phrase that there's a time and a place for everything. Look in the background and you'll see people walking around...It's obviously offering time...Where it can be the only time for musicians to have the chance to "Wild Out" in a service...And I didn't see where it was shed-ish. He gave it just enough flavor just so you know it's Eddie Heyward...A few sweet licks here and there and good clean playing the rest of the time.

Yeah thats kind of where I was gettin at sticks. I'm usually not a fan of that over the top type playing, but I love this clip for some reason. And you can tell that the atmosphere was relaxed, and it wasn't like he was doing it while a choir was singing, or while people were trying to worship....so I'm cool with it.

Offline musician4life

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2009, 09:03:52 AM »

I'm sorry - and YES I'm being judgmental - but that sounds so immature. 'Wild out'? Is playing music not enough? Do you feel oppressed because you can't have a conniption during service?

Ever notice when your family comes together during the holidays, and the kids are running around aimlessly, having fun - and the adults are sitting down, talking, yet enjoy themselves just the same?

That's the difference between what you're saying, and where I'm coming from. Only "kids" feel oppressed when they can't be all over the place. They need to let these dudes shed themselves to death before they put them on a throne in church. By that time, you've "jerked off" on your instrument enough, that you won't feel the NEED to do it once given the opportunity to play in service.

Offline tko05

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2009, 09:42:34 AM »
I'm sorry - and YES I'm being judgmental - but that sounds so immature. 'Wild out'? Is playing music not enough? Do you feel oppressed because you can't have a conniption during service?

Ever notice when your family comes together during the holidays, and the kids are running around aimlessly, having fun - and the adults are sitting down, talking, yet enjoy themselves just the same?

That's the difference between what you're saying, and where I'm coming from. Only "kids" feel oppressed when they can't be all over the place. They need to let these dudes shed themselves to death before they put them on a throne in church. By that time, you've "jerked off" on your instrument enough, that you won't feel the NEED to do it once given the opportunity to play in service.

WOW!!!  :o :o ;D

I totally agree though!
“If Better Is Possible, Good Is No Longer An Option.

Offline Jedi3

• LGM Member
  • "Do or do not. There is no try."

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2009, 12:04:19 PM »
By that time, you've "jerked off" on your instrument enough, that you won't feel the NEED to do it once given the opportunity to play in service.

Grossly inappropriate and down right crass.  You couldn't come up with a better way to express yourself?  I'm all for freedom of speech and opinion, but just because you can say it doesn't mean it should be said.  A little more respect and reverence, if you will.

Offline musician4life

• LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2009, 12:08:29 PM »
Grossly inappropriate and down right crass.  You couldn't come up with a better way to express yourself?  I'm all for freedom of speech and opinion, but just because you can say it doesn't mean it should be said.  A little more respect and reverence, if you will.

I totally agree that it was "grossly inappropriate and downright crass'.

That was the best way to express myself, because it is exactly how I felt. So, where do we go from here, sport?

Offline Jedi3

• LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2009, 12:13:55 PM »
Better to be silent and have everyone think you're a fool than to open your mouth and prove it.  Where do we go from here?  With a little more maturity you'll learn than just because you feel a certain way or have a certain opinion, sometimes it's more appropriate to just keep your mouth shut.  Again, just because you can say it doesn't mean that you should.....Sport.

Offline musician4life

• LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2009, 12:29:12 PM »
Better to be silent and have everyone think you're a fool than to open your mouth and prove it.  Where do we go from here?  With a little more maturity you'll learn than just because you feel a certain way or have a certain opinion, sometimes it's more appropriate to just keep your mouth shut.  Again, just because you can say it doesn't mean that you should.....Sport.

Well, I don't think what I said was foolish - but it was probably "grossly inappropriate." Great quote, just bad placement...

...which is what my beef with the clip was to begin with. I supposed I've had enough of gospel musician's gross and mindless misplacement of runs, licks, and fills. After 15 years of the same ol'-same ol', it's becoming increasingly harder to use the manners my mother taught me when people defend it.

This is why far too many gospel musicians can't get any real work outside of the gospel arena. Many want to, but they've been allowed to approach the music with no sensitivity to the atmosphere, and with oftentimes willful lack of discipline for so long, that when they're rejected, they see no reason to correct themselves. Musical vulgarity has become the norm...

...and as someone who is sick of having their eardrums offended with said vulgarity, it is only natural that spew a little of my own, verbally, in frustration.

But the world will keep on spinning...

Offline Jedi3

• LGM Member

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2009, 12:46:03 PM »
I agree with your thoughts and, quite honestly, we share some of the same opinions.  All I'm asking is for you to examine your choice of words when expressing yourself.  There are kids on this site.  Beyond that, it's "Learn Gospel Music."  Profanity and vulgar expressions are for people who don't have the vocabulary to express themselves in an intelligent manner, and quite frankly doesn't belong in here.  That, from what I can tell, does not apply to you.  You obviously have no problem finding the words.  If in your "frustration" you feel like you have no other way to express yourself than by using such vulgar speech, just hold your peace...until you find a better way.

Offline lockslie1

• LGM Member
  • Skyline!!!
    • PTS MUSIC COMPANY

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2009, 01:05:34 PM »

"j :-X :-X off" I've just been brought back to life from flatlining! WOW :o  I understand your frustration though.

Offline stiksnmypocket

• LGM Member
    • Myspace

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2009, 01:12:51 PM »
Musician I agree with you bruh, and Jedi I agree with you but some people just need to chill out with being so sensitive or "spooky deep" I see nothing wrong with the term jerking off used the way he used it, I taught HS drumlines and that was a phrase of mine, or even wanking off, it was in context to the drums, I think we all know what he meant by this, stuff only goes bad when "people" turn it bad..... think about it dude, I was never once reprimanded by a parent or another teacher while saying what I said because they knew where it was coming from, and I wasn't telln there kid to go somewhere and j/o.......
lighten up bruh,

sidenote this reminded me of message I heard b4, "churchfolk" creating new sins"....smh
Do what you do, but do it well!!!

Offline Jedi3

• LGM Member

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2009, 01:31:25 PM »
Musician I agree with you bruh, and Jedi I agree with you but some people just need to chill out with being so sensitive or "spooky deep" I see nothing wrong with the term jerking off used the way he used it, I taught HS drumlines and that was a phrase of mine, or even wanking off, it was in context to the drums, I think we all know what he meant by this, stuff only goes bad when "people" turn it bad..... think about it dude, I was never once reprimanded by a parent or another teacher while saying what I said because they knew where it was coming from, and I wasn't telln there kid to go somewhere and j/o.......
lighten up bruh,

sidenote this reminded me of message I heard b4, "churchfolk" creating new sins"....smh

LOL!!!!  If the inference is that I'm being overly sensitive or "spooky deep" I assure you, I'm not.  Further, if you're implying that I'm "creating a new sin," I didn't.  My comment was made as to the appropriateness of the term used in this particular forum.  I completely respect your right to say, think, and feel whatever and however you choose.  But there is something to be said for deference, tact, and consideration for your audience...is it not?

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2009, 01:47:15 PM »
Only in the Drum Room. SMH

Offline stiksnmypocket

• LGM Member
    • Myspace

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2009, 02:11:11 PM »
LOL!!!!  If the inference is that I'm being overly sensitive or "spooky deep" I assure you, I'm not.  Further, if you're implying that I'm "creating a new sin," I didn't.  My comment was made as to the appropriateness of the term used in this particular forum.  I completely respect your right to say, think, and feel whatever and however you choose.  But there is something to be said for deference, tact, and consideration for your audience...is it not?

man lets just play drums.... ;D ;D ;D ;D
Do what you do, but do it well!!!

Offline 3rd-Day

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2009, 03:00:49 PM »
 ;D :D :D :D :D :D
*______________________________________________________________________________*
Im too tall to act small.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up