LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Eddie Heyward and Melvin Crispell doing "Thank U Lord"..............Wow  (Read 8104 times)

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member
  • Art by C1... Thanx Bruh!

Re: Eddie Heyward and Melvin Crispell doing "Thank U Lord"..............Wow
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2009, 03:10:15 PM »
Wild out in service? ...because it is offering time?
In service in God's house there is no time to wild out. God is a God of decency and order. We all need to remember that.

We get way too lax when it comes to the excellence that is truly required in God's house and in our lives as believers. And this needs to stop. It is not alright to be off your game at any point and still claim to be giving God glory.

Success in God and in life is about consistency.

Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

Offline drumzalicious

• LGM Member
    • Calvin Fenner Website

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2009, 07:47:07 PM »
I dont think that its necessarily "right" for musicians to use the offering time as a time to shed. I have been at a few churches that are like that but for the most part none of the others i have been to are like that.

I understand and see both sides of the argument i just dont think that was the appropriate time to do that. Maybe if it was like the end of church and they were just jamming or something but other than that i dont really agree with it

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2009, 08:26:56 PM »
In service in God's house there is no time to wild out. God is a God of decency and order. We all need to remember that.

We get way too lax when it comes to the excellence that is truly required in God's house and in our lives as believers. And this needs to stop. It is not alright to be off your game at any point and still claim to be giving God glory.

?/?  :-X

Offline dude-on-drums

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • www.kevinhayden.net
    • Kevin Hayden

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2009, 11:36:41 PM »

I'm sorry - and YES I'm being judgmental - but that sounds so immature. 'Wild out'? Is playing music not enough? Do you feel oppressed because you can't have a conniption during service?

Ever notice when your family comes together during the holidays, and the kids are running around aimlessly, having fun - and the adults are sitting down, talking, yet enjoy themselves just the same?

That's the difference between what you're saying, and where I'm coming from. Only "kids" feel oppressed when they can't be all over the place. They need to let these dudes shed themselves to death before they put them on a throne in church. By that time, you've "jerked off" on your instrument enough, that you won't feel the NEED to do it once given the opportunity to play in service.

Both very well said. 

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2009, 11:39:26 PM »

Note: my comments are in response to some of the statements made in this thread. NO bashing anyone else as a real teaching moment when we know better we should do better. As well we should speak that word of knowledge and truth to correct the errors that restrain us.

I have not watched the video clip as of yet...so I have refrained from commenting on the posted clip itself.
Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

Offline smarkland38

• LGM Member
    • myspace.com

« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2009, 12:16:16 AM »
I just viewed the clip, I thought Eddie's placement of pocket and fill was in the right place of the song.I didn't think he was trying to show off, during that time of the service.
I CAN DO ALL THINGS THROUGH CHRIST THAT STRENGTHENS ME!!!

www.myspace.com/sidmark

Offline diligent-hands

• LGM Member
  • NEW SINGLE (60 SECOND PRAYER)

« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2009, 12:22:27 AM »
i read all this..and i was gonna rip a few cats..but today im blessed and imma just keep on moving...but YOU are in my eyesight..i'll catch you later.. 8)....... ;)

Offline Hotsticks1

• LGM Member
  • Welcome to my world...
    • Myspace

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2009, 02:49:40 AM »
I'm sorry - and YES I'm being judgmental - but that sounds so immature. 'Wild out'? Is playing music not enough? Do you feel oppressed because you can't have a conniption during service?

Ever notice when your family comes together during the holidays, and the kids are running around aimlessly, having fun - and the adults are sitting down, talking, yet enjoy themselves just the same?

That's the difference between what you're saying, and where I'm coming from. Only "kids" feel oppressed when they can't be all over the place. They need to let these dudes shed themselves to death before they put them on a throne in church. By that time, you've "jerked off" on your instrument enough, that you won't feel the NEED to do it once given the opportunity to play in service.

Once again I'm going to choose to disagree. And no it doesent make me immature or childish in my approach toward musicianship. Whats immature is that you must resort to name calling because you cant yell loud enough over a computer to get everyone to see it your way. lol. Anyway...2 Corinthians 9:7 says, "So let each one give as he purposes in his heart, not grudgingly or of necessity; for God loves a cheerful giver"

Now Im COGIC, I've always been, and wouldn't have it any other way. When offering time comes we understand that it is a form of worship but we also understand that it's a happy time and music can help to set an atmosphere that helps encourage people during that portion of a service. Not to mention you can't confine the holy spirit to "an order" If the holy spirit chooses to move, then we let him move...we can't stand in his way by setting so many boundaries, that's how you hinder peoples breakthoughs, and healings, and blessings and all that kinda stuff...Also because offering is a form of worship that means that the not only does the spirt move, but God speaks as well...and who's to say what God was giving to these musicians at that time........Just a different point of view

Now this during offering would be completely unacceptable. lol

"If thine enemy wrong thee...Buy each of his children a drum"

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2009, 04:13:55 AM »

I have not watched the video clip as of yet..

Honestly, I dont think its fair the way you are coming at him without even know the context of which he was speaking in. We were talking about the clip. How can you not watch the clip and then want to give such a lecture?

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member

« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2009, 11:39:00 AM »
Honestly, I dont think its fair the way you are coming at him without even know the context of which he was speaking in. We were talking about the clip. How can you not watch the clip and then want to give such a lecture?

Understand the word of wisdom that went forth because to "Wild Out" (which is what was written)is inappropriate. Period.
Commentary from some others further pointed out errors in their understanding. I understand what wilding out means and what was meant by "...It's obviously offering time...Where it can be the only time for musicians to have the chance to "Wild Out" in a service...." 

At no point did I go after anyone....

Offline QCdrummer

• LGM Member
  • "Yo Grandad! Buy me some Vic Firths!"

« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2009, 12:24:30 PM »
Well I guess the clip wasn't a big hit after all! lol....

I understand that everyone may not like the clip. But at alot churches, at offering time, people are laughing, chatting, complimenting each others outfits. And at my church, right after the offering is the "greet your neighbor" time. There's all kinds of noise and running around. And that's as far from orderly as it gets. I believe this is the moment where musicians kind of get a free pass to express yourself on thier instrument, because nobody is really paying attention to the band.

But I do understand that every church is different. Some were brought up in a more structured enviorment and that kind of stuff would not fly. I played at a church where all they wanted was pocket and nothing else from the musicians. And thats exactly what we gave. So in the end, i think it all boils down to preference.
Praise Him with clashing cymbals!

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2009, 01:04:40 PM »
Well I guess the clip wasn't a big hit after all! lol....

I understand that everyone may not like the clip. But at alot churches, at offering time, people are laughing, chatting, complimenting each others outfits. And at my church, right after the offering is the "greet your neighbor" time. There's all kinds of noise and running around. And that's as far from orderly as it gets. I believe this is the moment where musicians kind of get a free pass to express yourself on thier instrument, because nobody is really paying attention to the band.

But I do understand that every church is different. Some were brought up in a more structured enviorment and that kind of stuff would not fly. I played at a church where all they wanted was pocket and nothing else from the musicians. And thats exactly what we gave. So in the end, i think it all boils down to preference.

I agree. I really dont think it was a Sunday morning service, maybe a revival or conference. Whoever was coordinating the service and hired Eddie, knows how he plays. If he didnt want the crazy licks or whatever he would have found someone more tame.

Offline drumzalicious

• LGM Member
    • Calvin Fenner Website

« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2009, 05:04:26 PM »
Well. I think all of this just boils down to personal preference and what your church environment was growing up and what your used to.

i think we all should just agree to disagree here and call it a day.

Offline stilearnin

• LGM Member

« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2009, 06:53:49 PM »
Bottom line!!!! Eddie can play!!!! a Little over the top, but he can play!!! Theres no denying that. Now every body, llets go on ebay, and buy some DW;s!!!! hee hee!!!!

Offline L.V.Drumma

• LGM Member

« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2009, 07:21:05 PM »
*comes to a screaching holt in my Challenger and hops out the car* HOLLLLLLL UP!!!!! Lemme throw my two cents in the fountain. Lol.

Nah but honestly, it really does come down to preference and how you were raised and what you are used to. Some churches i played at are more energetic and loud, not too loud, and will actually make you do it otherwise you will be kicked off or be told to do so. And some churches were more finess and mature and i had to play in the pocket with finess and make sure my tempo, dynamics, etc are on point and the dynamic range never got much loud at all, forte at most. And on a note, you need to be able to play in any type of environment though because you'll never know.

Offline dude-on-drums

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • www.kevinhayden.net
    • Kevin Hayden

« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2009, 07:33:07 PM »
I have beef with this recent display of random chops over classic songs.  On this thread its "Thank You,"  On another thread its MJ's "Wanna Be Startin Somethin."

Now here's a thought.  If people are gonna decide to wild out on classic songs, then they should wild out on the whole arrangement.  Why butcher the classic with vocals???  Makes no sense to me.  Re-arrange the whole song so the chops make sense.

Its like Nintendo's Mario Brothers.  They dont just enhance Mario's abilities on every sequal, they enhance the whole game so that it makes sense.

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2009, 07:59:41 PM »
These guys may be shedding, but are successfully carrying the song.

The REAL tragedy is all the lesser musicians who try doing that and FAIL...

Offline SneakerHead

• LGM Member

« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2009, 04:16:03 PM »
I just viewed the clip, I thought Eddie's placement of pocket and fill was in the right place of the song.I didn't think he was trying to show off, during that time of the service.

.........and I agree with you. It's Eddie. I didn't expect him to be like kick, snare, hats, and crash the whole time. He keeps the energy up. That's him. If that's HIS way of playing unto God not man then who are we to judge and say oh it's over playing or whatever? I don't think there's a written way you have to play any instrument unto God. We focus on the wrong things at times and I think we should just enjoy Eddie's playing. Simple.
"Style changes, but self-expression is consistent."
                    -Pharrell Williams

Offline soul_drummer

• LGM Member
  • Jesus, I Love You

« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2009, 06:41:57 PM »
I have beef with this recent display of random chops over classic songs.  On this thread its "Thank You,"  On another thread its MJ's "Wanna Be Startin Somethin."

Now here's a thought.  If people are gonna decide to wild out on classic songs, then they should wild out on the whole arrangement.  Why butcher the classic with vocals???  Makes no sense to me.  Re-arrange the whole song so the chops make sense.

Its like Nintendo's Mario Brothers.  They dont just enhance Mario's abilities on every sequal, they enhance the whole game so that it makes sense.

So true man...I agree 100%
Perfect Practice Makes Perfect

Offline musician4life

• LGM Member

« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2009, 07:24:07 AM »
.........and I agree with you. It's Eddie. I didn't expect him to be like kick, snare, hats, and crash the whole time. He keeps the energy up. That's him. If that's HIS way of playing unto God not man then who are we to judge and say oh it's over playing or whatever? I don't think there's a written way you have to play any instrument unto God. We focus on the wrong things at times and I think we should just enjoy Eddie's playing. Simple.

Yeah...

...that would be musical anarchy. Just imagine if everyone on the bandstand had that same mentality? Without limitation's, ANYTHING goes, and that is not good.

Music is like a meal: With no seasoning, it's not very appealing; With too much seasoning, it's not edible.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up