LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Eddie Heyward and Melvin Crispell doing "Thank U Lord"..............Wow  (Read 8142 times)

Offline Da_Drumma

• LGM Member
    • Da' Drumma on Myspace

Re: Eddie Heyward and Melvin Crispell doing "Thank U Lord"..............Wow
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2009, 08:49:36 AM »
Yeah...

...that would be musical anarchy. Just imagine if everyone on the bandstand had that same mentality? Without limitation's, ANYTHING goes, and that is not good.

Music is like a meal: With no seasoning, it's not very appealing; With too much seasoning, it's not edible.

I think you said that perfectly!!

Offline soul_drummer

• LGM Member
  • Jesus, I Love You

« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2009, 05:12:41 PM »
I personally find Eddie Heyward's playing pretty annoying....that dude just blazes every song...I don't like his placement at all. That's my opinion tho.
Perfect Practice Makes Perfect

Offline porkpiepoppa

• LGM Member
  • i can do ALL things phil 4:13*

« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2009, 08:54:52 PM »
well i love his playing... if you hear him on CDs he DOES have control i think that some of yall just are use to playing straight which is what ive chosen to do.. ever since i started playing the organ i found drummers and other musicians that OVERplay VERY annoying but it is nice to watch lol theres alotta licks umma steal but at the same time i guess some of it doesnt really fit.. u gotta hold it back a little so the WHOLE band sounds good but i got lots of love and respect for eddie hes a very humble cat.
<!-- Copied from MySpace.com -->
Find me on MySpace a

Offline QCdrummer

• LGM Member
  • "Yo Grandad! Buy me some Vic Firths!"

« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2009, 11:45:41 AM »
well i love his playing... if you hear him on CDs he DOES have control i think that some of yall just are use to playing straight which is what ive chosen to do.. ever since i started playing the organ i found drummers and other musicians that OVERplay VERY annoying but it is nice to watch lol theres alotta licks umma steal but at the same time i guess some of it doesnt really fit.. u gotta hold it back a little so the WHOLE band sounds good but i got lots of love and respect for eddie hes a very humble cat.

Yeah I'm with you on that one pork pie. Since I've transitioned over to keys, I looked at drumming in a completely different way! No wonder I used to always get yelled at about timing when I was a kid! I'm not advanced yet on the keys, so for now its the most difficult thing in the world to  play with drummers who are inexperienced.

But the difference with this clip is that EDDIE AND MELVIN have been playing together for almost 20 years!!

It really doesn't even matter what any of them do on thier instrument, because no matter what they will lock in together. The best bands I ever heard were the ones who have been together the longest.
Praise Him with clashing cymbals!

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2009, 01:35:19 PM »

But the difference with this clip is that EDDIE AND MELVIN have been playing together for almost 20 years!!

It really doesn't even matter what any of them do on their instrument, because no matter what they will lock in together. The best bands I ever heard were the ones who have been together the longest.

Very true...takes time and experience to get to that level. Many bands flame out when some try to put in licks without first establishing pocket. Number 1 priority is for bass, drums, keys, etc. to play in ONE ACCORD. Anything beyond that can be great, but extra...

Offline b_jizzle20

• LGM Member
    • MY MUSIC

« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2009, 04:12:20 PM »
Nice licks, but a lil too busy for me :-\

Offline Da_Drumma

• LGM Member
    • Da' Drumma on Myspace

« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2009, 06:30:51 AM »
Nice clip....I personally enjoyed it. There was maybe one fill that I thought quite didnt fit around about 1:50 mark. Other than it sound pretty good to me. As a matter of fact I probaly would have played it similar. IMO when you are talking about praise, and band is great motivation. It shouldnt be the only motivation but a radical band does help.

Offline brutha28

• LGM Member
  • "Be healed, be delivered, and be set free"

« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2009, 02:51:08 PM »
OK.. i guess my question maybe a little off subject but... how come u can get so many cats to show up for a shed or drum off but can't get em to show during prayer meetings, or revivals, or shut-ins?  It was my assumption that sheds are most common off normal service hours??? why are u shedding during service, this is suppose to be a time to reverence God and not our instruments.
Steven P.

Peace N' Hairgrease

Offline Hotsticks1

• LGM Member
  • Welcome to my world...
    • Myspace

« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2009, 06:59:40 PM »
I'm sorry but I'm still not seeing where this is all that bad...lol...Eddie Heyward is a strait beast and I very humble cat. I've had the opprotunity to meet him in person and I've seen him play live for Timothy Wright (R.I.P.). The boys pockett is serious business, and his playing is very musical and somewhat abstract...Different but creative, and I dig what he adds to the music...The honest truth is, whether we like him or not, dude is endorsed, and has no shortage of gigs, so he's obviously doing something right.  ;D 
"If thine enemy wrong thee...Buy each of his children a drum"
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up