LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Do you guys listen to tapes to better yourself?  (Read 3095 times)

Offline lilben

• LGM Member

Do you guys listen to tapes to better yourself?
« on: December 28, 2004, 01:47:10 PM »
Wassup folks its me again!!! Are you guys known for listening to tapes and bettering yourselves? I used to be known for going to my church everyday and listening to drum solos and practicing with the tape until I can play the solo just like it is played on the tape. I have been playing for 11 yrs and listening to those different tapes has really helped me through the years. I have won drum contests not by using the solos I learned but by being able to put together my own solos. I have been in the solo spotlight at my church on certain songs such as High Praise By Paul Morton on the Let Rain cd man did I put on a show. I am not saying this just to be to be saying this, I am saying this to see how have solo tapes has helped you through the years. Aiight Holla!
Artistik Muzik

Offline kuyajc

• LGM Member

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2004, 03:10:51 PM »
that;s one way to give your technique more variety. listen top a whole range od music from the techno beats to the smooth jazz betas. and never give up the chance to see a live jazz band you can record it with something and bring it home to practice. you don't have to master the techniques you hear just waddle in them for a while you'll bee surprised how differently you will play

Offline drummerboyy01

• LGM Member
    • http://www.drummerboyy01@.yahoo.com

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2004, 10:37:18 AM »
And to add to all of this, listening to tapes of yourself helps too. It's gives you a chance to monitor yourself to find out what you should and shouldn't do.

Offline saywhuut

• LGM Member

Listening to other music
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2004, 08:48:19 AM »
how do you all keep that border of listening to other music to help better your playing, yet remaining strong in your walk with the lord?  know what im sayin?  for example i used to listen to carter beauford from Dave matthews band allll tha time just cause he is so good and the band is on point as well..but it got to the point where it was 2 much and the more i listened to their music the more i noticed how off track some of it was to God's word..im startin to focuss just on gospel and jazz since there mostly arent any words for jazz....anyone else gone through this?

Offline D-Nice

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2004, 11:55:09 AM »
fa show'..saywhuut!....yeah i am a hip-hop fan and i got's to have my JDilla (previous producer of slum village) along with The Roots/Common/Ali Shaheed Muhahmed ( former producer of Tribe Called Quest..by the way new album is hot..got Stokley and Chris "Daddy" Dave on some tracks doin that "drag" beat "philly style") .....yeah i too have been there sometimes i feel convicted to give the music away cuz it does me no good to put that in my head subconciously...i use to debate with my roomate that music couldn't influence me to do bad things...but true enough i found myself doing somethings that i shouldnt be doin...and ended up repent for...so yeah be careful what you put in your temple...i would definitley stick to the jazz..and maybe add some techno.(for offbeat patterns)..checkout DJ Cam...(my patner turned me on to him)...he got some hot stuff....its always good to be a well-rounded musician.

b-cool

Offline kuyajc

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2005, 07:05:00 PM »
how do you all keep that border of listening to other music to help better your playing, yet remaining strong in your walk with the lord? know what im sayin? for example i used to listen to carter beauford from Dave matthews band allll tha time just cause he is so good and the band is on point as well..but it got to the point where it was 2 much and the more i listened to their music the more i noticed how off track some of it was to God's word..im startin to focuss just on gospel and jazz since there mostly arent any words for jazz....anyone else gone through

Don't let it influence you listen to it for the art not for the lyrics

Offline drummercat777

• LGM Member
    • www.myspace.com/bdrums777

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2005, 06:21:07 PM »
i just recently started to record myself playing. i am amazed to heqar the difference between how i think i sound and how i actually sound on tape. you should try it if you don't already!!!!! it really helps you to focus in on what you need to work on.
Psalm 150:5
why I do what i do.....

www.myspace.com/bdrums777

Offline drummercat777

• LGM Member
    • www.myspace.com/bdrums777

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2005, 06:22:07 PM »
OOOOOOOPS!!!!!! i forgot my sayning that i always say with my post....

its all good and its all GOD
Psalm 150:5
why I do what i do.....

www.myspace.com/bdrums777

Offline sonorJ

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2005, 01:15:41 AM »
:wink: Whoever posted this topic/topic paragraph, you said you "put on a show"; Well All I have to say is make sure you put on a show FOR THE LORD!!!!! 8O  Remember who you are playing FOR and WHY!!!

BE BLESSED........!!!!! :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up