LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: The sickest clip i've ever seen in life. This is insane.  (Read 10960 times)

Offline Kelz-Da-Basshead

• LGM Member

Re: The sickest clip i've ever seen in life. This is insane.
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2009, 08:53:53 AM »
"Judge not lest ye be judged." Easy to say, hard to do. When I see clips like this one, or when I attend services where the music takes on this particular flavor I think to myself, "Not my cup of worship tea."

As musicians we often influence the "Spirit" of a service by what we play or don't play--e.g., shout music, playing behind the pastor when he preaches--and congregation reaction has an effect on the musicians' playing and vice versa. I think it is a chicken-and-egg argument as to whether the Spirit influences the music or whether the music influences the Spirit.
IMO its both ways.
you got to hear numbers

Offline ddwilkins

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Arsenal!!!!
    • D'Wayne's Spot

« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2009, 08:56:27 AM »
"Judge not lest ye be judged." Easy to say, hard to do. When I see clips like this one, or when I attend services where the music takes on this particular flavor I think to myself, "Not my cup of worship tea."

Everyone just can't do it.
Keep God first and he'll do the rest!!!

Offline DWBass

• LGM Member
  • Make A Joyful Noise!

« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2009, 12:08:15 PM »
That's what the people want.
The people or the musicians? I see regular folks walk out of church when the 'shedding' starts! 

Christians need entertainment too.
I agree but I think it's mostly the musicians who are being entertained and my opinion is that it is self serving. I have played many gigs with younger church raised musicians and I found many (not all) of them totally undisciplined. They 'shed' ALL the time which is a no no in my book! I think secular music actually has more boundaries than church bred musicians care for. But this is a whole separate topic for which I'm full of opinions!! Even if this was NOT a church setting, is it not still ministering? If I'm standing around with a video camera waiting for that oooh ahhh moment from a really good musician, I am not being ministered to! What's the point?
"Never Leave Home Without Your Groove On" :)

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2009, 01:16:33 PM »
The people or the musicians? I see regular folks walk out of church when the 'shedding' starts! 

Depends on the church. I see your profile says that you are Methodist, so I can understand why your church doesent care for that kinda stuff. I was raised in a similar denomination, so I know how some people dont like that kinda playing

But I've noticed that Pentecostals and Cogics etc, love that kinda stuff, and thats what they want.

I agree but I think it's mostly the musicians who are being entertained and my opinion

see above. people, even non musicians love good music.

my opinion is that it is self serving. I have played many gigs with younger church raised musicians and I found many (not all) of them totally undisciplined. They 'shed' ALL the time which is a no no in my book! I think secular music actually has more boundaries than church bred musicians care for. But this is a whole separate topic for which I'm full of opinions!! Even if this was NOT a church setting, is it not still ministering? If I'm standing around with a video camera waiting for that oooh ahhh moment from a really good musician, I am not being ministered to! What's the point?

I think to some people it is self serving, but to some they are just doing what they are asked to do. And as someone else said, we dont know their hearts. And If Churches and Pastors did not want that kinda stuff, then they would not hire those kinda musicians.

As for the last statement, I think its possible to be ministered to, and still appreciate the good music.....But everybody is different, so I'm not knocking you or your experiences.

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2009, 01:59:40 PM »

Which isn't necessarily saying that conservative music isn't good, too.

of course.

But that term conservative, is relative. What is conservative to one group is considered inappropriate to others.

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2009, 02:41:52 PM »
But I've noticed that Pentecostals and Cogics etc, love that kinda stuff, and thats what they want.

thats not every church. im COGIC and i know people (even other pentecostals that are not COGIC) that'll sit u down if you go overboard and become a hindrance/distraction to whats going on.

see above. people, even non musicians love good music.
As for the last statement, I think its possible to be ministered to, and still appreciate the good music.....But everybody is different, so I'm not knocking you or your experiences.

see, thats where this whole topic becomes SUBJECTIVE, because for me, that was NOT good music. it wasnt. and you cant say im wrong because no one can say how I feel about it. to you it may have been wonderful. to me, it wasnt at all. and for everyone who was there or saw it or whatever, there are some who feel it was awesome and some who feel it wasnt. none are wrong.

but one thing to point out. and everyone take this to heart. we have to be mindful of what we do, because we are held accountable each time we turn someone away from God because of our own actions, and our music is no exception. i am NOT (repeat: i am NOT) saying thats what he did here but that applies to the ministering vs. shedding debate thats quietly emerging here.
For my God... let "Golden Axe" prevail.

Offline ddwilkins

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Arsenal!!!!
    • D'Wayne's Spot

« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2009, 02:51:37 PM »
but one thing to point out. and everyone take this to heart. we have to be mindful of what we do, because we are held accountable each time we turn someone away from God because of our own actions, and our music is no exception. i am NOT (repeat: i am NOT) saying thats what he did here but that applies to the ministering vs. shedding debate thats quietly emerging here.

Good thought.
Keep God first and he'll do the rest!!!

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2009, 03:18:15 PM »
thats not every church. im COGIC and i know people (even other pentecostals that are not COGIC) that'll sit u down if you go overboard and become a hindrance/distraction to whats going on.

True, I didnt intentionally  meant to make a generalization, because as we all know, everybody is different.

Question, how would playing in such a manner turn someone from God?

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2009, 03:40:15 PM »
Question, how would playing in such a manner turn someone from God?

there are many ways that could happen. and im not talking about constant riffs and runs. it could also be something simple as the attitude you have when you are playing. i cant speak for everyone, but there are some who dont just play for "saved and sanctified folk, in the church 20 years, and sold out for jesus" people. there are people in the midst that are on the edge, some even hanging off the cliff, and everything you do (not just musicians, but every person in christ that they come in contact with) is critical. it could be that ur such a distraction that you prevent them from receiving what they needed to. (i've experienced that for myself, and although i wasnt on the edge, i can imagine what someone who was wouldve done). it could be that you present something that isnt conducive to what is being presented as a life in Christ. Pastors, evangelists, etc have to worry about the things they do in their ministries and how it affects people. what makes us musicians any different???

and thats just an example, but the effects can be various. i know some may say whatever and brush it off, but if you take ur music as ministry seriously, how could u NOT think about it and take that into consideration?
For my God... let "Golden Axe" prevail.

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2009, 04:40:14 PM »
OK, I agree. Being a musician is more than just playing your instrument during service. And a lot of us musicians have character problems.

Offline blacklw234

• LGM Member

« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2009, 05:55:04 PM »
This was a good Thread. Good discusion!!! I respect all opinions.
I play a LTD ESP C-305 Bass

Offline lockslie1

• LGM Member
  • Skyline!!!
    • PTS MUSIC COMPANY

« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2009, 06:39:10 PM »
Second clip was cool too. First clip was still very enjoyable in my opinion and I certainly don't think he was shedding at all. There is a big difference between playing freely and shedding. It appears that Thad had a freedom luxury on this particular gig. It also appears that they were having fun, the atmosphere was very energetic and they were at liberty together. It has been quoted on this thread that there is a time and place for everything and it's seems like this was one of those times to have a little fun and stretch out if everyone is in agreement. Tye got to solo, i'm sure Pudge and Troy got to throw some stuff in too. Thad has proven his ability to play pocket as well as stretch out.

You'll never have 100% of people totally like or dislike what you play so make sure God is glorified and he is pleased with what you do and say. If a few people came up to Thad afterwards and said they were inspired and may have made a decision to pray and seek God to be able to minister on an instrument or to play for the Lord because of what they heard that night then who are we to say God wasn't glorified and pleased with what he did? That's why if we weren't there we should to just keep our opinions to ourselves of what occured spiritually and just comment on what was video taped, whether we like the clip or not and leave it at that IMHO.

If anyone was there then speak up and let us know what the atmosphere was like, what occured spiritually and if anyone was inspired to play for the Lord or was turned away from being ministered to because of what Thad played. Then maybe we can have the discussion of....is the way Thad played helpful build God's Kingdom, glorified God or hindered lifting up God's Kingdom and just added to his own. Otherwise, I think it's ok to say whether you liked it or not musically.

Sorry for the long thoughts  ;D

Offline blacklw234

• LGM Member

« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2009, 10:14:31 PM »
What kind of bass does Thad play?
I play a LTD ESP C-305 Bass

Offline webster808

• LGM Member
  • Purdue University

« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2009, 10:45:58 PM »
What kind of bass does Thad play?
Looks like a Fender Precision Bass Lyte..i may be wrong...

Offline Kelz-Da-Basshead

• LGM Member

« Reply #54 on: August 26, 2009, 06:32:35 AM »
Looks like a Fender Precision Bass Lyte..i may be wrong...
you are right but i think he's had alot of work done on it so it's really differnt from a regular lyte.
you got to hear numbers

Offline jonesl78

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #55 on: August 26, 2009, 07:21:11 AM »
Tye Tribbett is an out the box musician that requires his musicians to be the same.  I think you have to take into consideration of who he is, who he plays for, and his experience. He played way to many runs. I think it was done in obiedience for this particular song, IMO.

It is not typical for such a high level musician to overdue a song like that unless he was told to do it. I've actually MD'd a project where the bassist was required to be very busy throughout the song while the rest of the band kept it in the pocket. Its not common but it happens and Im willing to give Thad the benefit of the doubt. However, its not my cup of tea.

Offline BassbyGrace

• LGM Member
  • striving

« Reply #56 on: August 26, 2009, 06:16:07 PM »
Also remember, Thad is actually the Music Director :).  After listening to it a few more times, I have to say that except for in the last minute or so, everything does rather fit with the music though. 

As I said before, my issue isnt with his playing, its with the "groupies". I think on one part cameras, video recording, and youtube have been a hinderance as well as a platform for boastfulness and pride.   
Praise Him!

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #57 on: August 26, 2009, 06:33:03 PM »
Also remember, Thad is actually the Music Director :).  After listening to it a few more times, I have to say that except for in the last minute or so, everything does rather fit with the music though. 

As I said before, my issue isnt with his playing, its with the "groupies". I think on one part cameras, video recording, and youtube have been a hinderance as well as a platform for boastfulness and pride.  

Why do you have to call them groupies? ?/? :D
I partly agree with your comment about youtube, but honestly, I'm one of those guys that takes my voice recorder everywhere. If there is a good musician playing, you best believe that they are being recorded. (though its not as obvious as those with cameras. Does that make me a groupie? Does that mean that I cant praise God while the tape is rolling? Can I not Praise God and have an appreciation for the musician or the group ministering?

Offline BassbyGrace

• LGM Member
  • striving

« Reply #58 on: August 26, 2009, 06:44:05 PM »
Why do you have to call them groupies? ?/? :D
Aye, I got that from Floaded lol.

Does that make me a groupie? Does that mean that I cant praise God while the tape is rolling? Can I not Praise God and have an appreciation for the musician or the group ministering?

Actually I'm thinking the opposite.  There maybe some that are actually deterred from praising God or opening up because they are scared of being put on the internet.  Think its silly?  Look at all the shout clips clowning on ppl.  Aside from that, there are some that arent thinking about worship for trying to record the sick keyboardist or bass player, missing out on their deliverance, worship, etc.  Dont get me wrong, its a balance, but also its about intention.  That in turn can be a show off opportunity or distractor depending on the player.

Praise Him!

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #59 on: August 26, 2009, 06:55:50 PM »
Aye, I got that from Floaded lol.

Actually I'm thinking the opposite.  There maybe some that are actually deterred from praising God or opening up because they are scared of being put on the internet.  Think its silly?  Look at all the shout clips clowning on ppl.  Aside from that, there are some that arent thinking about worship for trying to record the sick keyboardist or bass player, missing out on their deliverance, worship, etc.  Dont get me wrong, its a balance, but also its about intention.  That in turn can be a show off opportunity or distractor depending on the player.

Makes sense.

Do you have an example of a such a clip.......I've yet to see one
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up