LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Using a digital voice recorder to record rehearsals?  (Read 5636 times)

Offline DWBass

• LGM Member
  • Make A Joyful Noise!

Re: Using a digital voice recorder to record rehearsals?
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2009, 12:47:37 PM »
take your power supply with you.
What if you're out in the field with no access to AC?
"Never Leave Home Without Your Groove On" :)

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2009, 12:52:35 PM »

I thought we were talking about rehearsals. :D

Offline phbrown

• LGM Member
  • Google Fiber

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2009, 02:36:12 PM »

How would you play your bass if you have no access to AC?

Then again, like dhagler said the laptop will be too cumbersome.

Offline Awall

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2009, 09:14:54 PM »
Hi guys, I have been reading this site for a couple of years and very rarely post anything of any real value. But... I have a Boss Micro BR recorder that is perfect for recording rehearsals. It also makes a great practice tool. It is a four track recorder, a tuner, an effects box, a drum machine, a metronome, and an MP3 player. Not bad for $200. The internal mic is great for catching the whole band and it can export to MP3.
Al

Offline dhagler

• LGM Member

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2009, 04:04:53 PM »
An update. I finally settled on the RCA VR5220 Digital Voice Recorder (about $32 on eBay). It has 512 MB of memory and a built in USB jack. If I record in HQ mode I can get 17 hours of recordings in .wav format. Or I can use the Digital Voice Manager software and convert the LP (202 hours) or SP (35 hours) mode recordings from .voc to .wav.

I will try it out this weekend (two rehearsals and a Sunday service) and report back with my findings, maybe even post sound clips. Wish me luck!

Offline B3Wannabe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2009, 06:17:36 PM »
I have one that I bought from Best Buy. It works well. I don't remember the model, though.

I tried a few models, and all my previous ones didn't handle low frequencies well. I think, in general, if you spend below $100 for it, it may very well be crap.

Now, I had one of those mini-cassette recorders that worked really well too, and it was about $30, but transferring data to your computer takes a long time.

Offline dhagler

• LGM Member

« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2009, 06:32:36 PM »
I tried a few models, and all my previous ones didn't handle low frequencies well. I think, in general, if you spend below $100 for it, it may very well be crap.

Crap is in the ear of the beholder. :)
I realize that the sound quality will be much, much less than a more expensive recorder and certainly a Zoom H2. But if I meet my objective--a reasonably faithful recording of my rehearsals that I can archive--then it will be $32 well spent. I wasn't unhappy with my $20 cassette recorder in terms of sound quality, but I didn't have a way to archive without amassing several cassette tapes.

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2009, 11:07:25 PM »
How would you play your bass if you have no access to AC?

thats a valid scenario. i had a few rehearsals where everything was set up in such a way where i came in and had to plug up into the direct box and come through the board, but i couldnt just come plugging stuff up wherever i wanted. thats how it is sometimes. another where i was at a church where my amp took the last slot on the surge protector to the one outlet in the musicians area. it just happens that way. lol (or is that just me?)

@dhagler, do you have a digital camera? i've recorded some rehearsals like that and the sound was pretty good. plus you get video if you want it. no tapes and battery life is good and memory can be upgraded.
For my God... let "Golden Axe" prevail.

Offline dhagler

• LGM Member

« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2009, 08:39:29 AM »
@dhagler, do you have a digital camera? i've recorded some rehearsals like that and the sound was pretty good. plus you get video if you want it. no tapes and battery life is good and memory can be upgraded.

I do have a digital camera, floaded, just wanted to go in a different direction.

We had a rehearsal last night. I used the recorder in HQ mode (.wav format so no conversion necessary) and I am blown away by the clarity. It was simple to transfer the files to my laptop--just plug the player into a USB port. I line out my laptop to my stereo system so I can hear the bass very clearly. All in all, $32 well spent. The jury is still out on battery life but I could always buy rechargeables.

Offline Fenix

• LGM Member

« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2009, 09:04:54 AM »
I used to use a cassette recorder too but stopped. The hassle of getting the tapes is just too much.

Now i use an "el cheapo" Kodak EasyShare digital camera. Funny enough the quality is very good and i can actually pick up the lower instruments, like the bass, very well.
The car, job, house wife/husband are not the reward, God is.

Offline phbrown

• LGM Member
  • Google Fiber

« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2009, 10:11:31 AM »
thats a valid scenario. i had a few rehearsals where everything was set up in such a way where i came in and had to plug up into the direct box and come through the board, but i couldnt just come plugging stuff up wherever i wanted. thats how it is sometimes. another where i was at a church where my amp took the last slot on the surge protector to the one outlet in the musicians area. it just happens that way. lol (or is that just me?)

hmm never thought about any of those scenarios. Thats one of the reasons i like this place. I can learn from other people experiences without having to actually experience them! ;D

Offline malthumb

• LGM Member
  • Praise Is What I Do
    • Your Car Does What?!?!?

« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2009, 12:21:38 PM »

That is CERTAINLY not just you.  After having that happen to me one too many time, I started keeping an extra surge protector in the back of my rack.  Just in case......

I end up using it about 30% of the time.  I usually have 3 or 4 plugs going....amp, tuner, Zoom H2, and if I'm using an Alembic, the external power supply.
FAITH unites people
RELIGION divides FAITH

Offline dhagler

• LGM Member

« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2009, 12:39:55 PM »
I started keeping an extra surge protector in the back of my rack.  Just in case......

The orange extension cord. Don't leave home without it. ;)

Offline mjl422

• LGM Member

« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2009, 02:17:04 PM »
The orange extension cord. Don't leave home without it. ;)

Or get a rack mounted power conditioner.

Offline dhagler

• LGM Member

« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2009, 04:52:29 PM »
Or get a rack mounted power conditioner.

That's how you tell the big boys from the amateurs. I don't know what a rack mounted power conditioner is. Heck, I don't even have a rack! ::)

Offline mjl422

• LGM Member

« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2009, 05:58:26 PM »
That's how you tell the big boys from the amateurs. I don't know what a rack mounted power conditioner is. Heck, I don't even have a rack! ::)

Definitely not one of the big boys.

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-FUR-M8DX

Offline docjohn

• LGM Member

« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2009, 06:13:51 PM »
nice post;thanks for sharing;I think "Oh give thanks"is from Judith Cristie-Macallister's 1 st cd from 3-4 years ago

Offline FenderJazzGuy

• LGM Member
    • Gospel Bass players and other musicians

« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2009, 10:50:06 AM »
I use my IPOD classic to record. I bought a mic that plugs into the headphone jack. Very convenient.

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Member
  • The Jamaican breakfast patty created by me. :)
    • http://www.geocities.com/mysterymman1

« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2009, 08:00:39 PM »
I have an olympus personal recorder.  It's a great recorder picking up sounds in stereo. It only records wma files but it will play those and mp3s. It takes one AAA battery and has no DC power cord so you will have to buy rechargeable batteries. I used to carry the rayovac batteries in my pocket. Just don't do that with a pocket full of change. :) It has USB to upload files to your computer. Some of the clips I uploaded here were recorded with it but I coverted the quality. If I was home I could upload a file in it's actual quality. 
Vision without action is just day dreaming. I miss practicing.

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Member
  • The Jamaican breakfast patty created by me. :)
    • http://www.geocities.com/mysterymman1

« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2009, 08:09:54 PM »
It's best to look at the recording spec. Some years back when I first bought a digital recorder I went the cheap route and that recorder sounded like a tape recorder.  :D
Vision without action is just day dreaming. I miss practicing.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up