LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SX Jazz Bass 5 string.  (Read 7164 times)

Offline blacklw234

• LGM Member

SX Jazz Bass 5 string.
« on: September 22, 2009, 07:13:57 AM »
Whats up LGM,

I just got the new SX bass 5 string, alder body, maple neck. This bass is hot!!! Can't believe it sound just as good as a Fender. I hear people say they change the electronics, but IMHO,the electronics are fine. I mean, its not Barts, but come on for $129.00. It definitely got squire beat and it sound as good if not better than some American Fenders. I changed the strings and put some D' addario on and man. I did have to lower the action, but other than that. Hot Hot Bass!!!  Don't sleep. If you can get use to the headstock sayin SX instead of fender. You have as good a bass. Thank you Jesus for this bass. I am thinking of purchasing another for back up. Can't believe it.
I play a LTD ESP C-305 Bass

Offline ddwilkins

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Arsenal!!!!
    • D'Wayne's Spot

Re: SX Jazz Bass 5 string.
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 08:03:27 AM »
Welcome to the club!!!!
Keep God first and he'll do the rest!!!

Offline blacklw234

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 08:26:10 AM »
DDwilkins that bass is hott!! I did not see that one at Rondo. Did you change it a bit?
Whats up LGM,

I just got the new SX bass 5 string, alder body, maple neck. This bass is hot!!! Can't believe it sound just as good as a Fender. I hear people say they change the electronics, but IMHO,the electronics are fine. I mean, its not Barts, but come on for $129.00. It definitely got squire beat and it sound as good if not better than some American Fenders. I changed the strings and put some D' addario on and man. I did have to lower the action, but other than that. Hot Hot Bass!!!  Don't sleep. If you can get use to the headstock sayin SX instead of fender. You have as good a bass. Thank you Jesus for this bass. I am thinking of purchasing another for back up. Can't believe it.
I play a LTD ESP C-305 Bass

Offline ddwilkins

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Arsenal!!!!
    • D'Wayne's Spot

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 08:32:21 AM »
When I took the picture, I had removed the pickup cover and the ashtray, but now I have the pickup cover back up there. Other than that, I haven't done anything else. I'm coming ebay looking for an audere preamp to slap in there and trying to decide on another bridge.

Offline Kelz-Da-Basshead

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 09:42:11 AM »
That one isnt on rondo's site anymore.  They have actually removed most of the better looking bass from the list.  It may be that they are sold out or they have been discontinued.
you got to hear numbers

Offline superjaay

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • The Real Black Power Ranger

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 12:03:59 PM »
I feel you on the surprising quality on these super low priced basses, I just picked a Douglas six from Rondo that is nothing but the truth. They may be made by the same company that makes the SX stuff. I can't put it down. As soon as I can sell one of the other basses I have I'm going for the SX fretless five.
Rest?, Rest when you're dead!!! Right now there's work to be done.

Offline momuzik

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009, 05:33:42 PM »
I keep hearing the same thing over and over about SX basses. It's kinda hard to believe that a $130 bass can hang with a $1600 bass.

...It definitely got squire beat and it sound as good if not better than some American Fenders...

Is there anyone up here who plays American Fenders on a regular that can concur?

Offline rEaLiTy|cHecK

• LGM Member
  • Berklee College of Music
    • Facebook

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 06:21:55 AM »
I keep hearing the same thing over and over about SX basses. It's kinda hard to believe that a $130 bass can hang with a $1600 bass.

Is there anyone up here who plays American Fenders on a regular that can concur?
i've A/B'd mine vs. american deluxes at GC on several occasions (mine has the audere pre) and SOUND wise i say it DEFINITELY hangs. to me, the fender MIA still feel better. IMO the feel on the sx is probably more in line w the MIM fender (in terms of fretwork and neck profile)

Offline rEaLiTy|cHecK

• LGM Member
    • Facebook

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009, 06:23:46 AM »
cont'd: also the action is definitely better on the MIA fenders. however my SX hasnt been set up, so its possible all that stuff could be fixed

Offline superjaay

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • The Real Black Power Ranger

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2009, 07:23:19 AM »
Recently I've learned the importance of good setup on any guitar. I had been playing my jazz v with what I thought was good setup and it was pure garbage. I had a professional bassist set it up and walk me through the process even having to file down the bridge saddles to get the action lower, and the difference is night and day. So to say setup is key is an understatement. Also there are quite a few of us burgeoning bassists out there that are not yet ready to spend $1000 or more on a single instrument. So these low cost alternatives such as the SX's, Douglas', Rogues, and Brice's offer many of the desireable traits of a more expensive brand such as Fender MIA w/o much compromise in quality(playability. We know they are not exactly the same but for the priice they're pretty good.
Rest?, Rest when you're dead!!! Right now there's work to be done.

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Member
  • The Jamaican breakfast patty created by me. :)
    • http://www.geocities.com/mysterymman1

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 02:58:17 AM »
No a bad sounding bass for $89. :D THink I may have to order one this week.
$89 SX Jazz Bass
Vision without action is just day dreaming. I miss practicing.

Offline Asahel

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2010, 08:06:38 AM »
...mine has the audere pre...

RealityCheck, did you have to change the pups when you installed your (audere) onboard preamp, or are you using the same passive pickups that came with your SX?

I'm just asking out of curiosity, not that I'm looking to mod my bass at the moment.

Thx!
Phillippians 1:6

Offline rEaLiTy|cHecK

• LGM Member
    • Facebook

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2010, 04:49:57 PM »
RealityCheck, did you have to change the pups when you installed your (audere) onboard preamp, or are you using the same passive pickups that came with your SX?

I'm just asking out of curiosity, not that I'm looking to mod my bass at the moment.

Thx!
ive since gone back to the passive preamp, but yes i was using the stock SX pickups. i think they sound pretty great!

Offline ddwilkins

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Arsenal!!!!
    • D'Wayne's Spot

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2010, 05:15:34 PM »
Mine is strictly stock right now other than the strings and a new bridge. I'm loving the passive tone from mine.

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Member
  • The Jamaican breakfast patty created by me. :)
    • http://www.geocities.com/mysterymman1

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2013, 11:11:58 AM »
SX Bass spotted at 2:09
Big Church Day Out 2012 - Israel Houghton & New Breed (Full)
Vision without action is just day dreaming. I miss practicing.

Offline funkStrat_97

• LGM Member
  • Da' House Rocka' is in Da' House!
    • Facebook

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2013, 11:49:08 AM »
SX Bass spotted at 2:09

Seems to have been modded with a BA bridge and possibly a set of Bartolini's.
“Don't bother to give God instructions, just report for duty”
- Corrie Ten Boom

Offline phbrown

• LGM Member
  • Google Fiber

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2013, 10:16:43 PM »
nice Catch!
Pages: [1]   Go Up