LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Gospel musicians playing secular music  (Read 32445 times)

Offline FenderJazzGuy

• LGM Member
    • Gospel Bass players and other musicians

Gospel musicians playing secular music
« on: October 04, 2009, 10:57:36 PM »
Hello everyone. This is a touchy subject so I would like some feedback from you all. I want to know how you feel about Christian musicians playing in secular settings. A lot of musicians that I look up to play in both settings. I would love to one day support myself playing bass but I don't want to limit myself to just gospel music. Now rite there some of you may have a slight frown on your face. I'm not saying that I would play for the likes of the "2 live crew". I'm just saying that there is some nice clean music and artists in the secular world. In my opinion, as long as I take a stand on my beliefs and morals I would be comfortable playing other music. I feel if I carry my self correct in a secular setting I would allow the God In my life to shine with people that may never experience God in that type of setting. Think about it. If Marcus Miller or Victor Wooten called you out of the blue for a gig, would you really wanna pass up on that opportunity to play with them because your a Christian? I know that a lot of Pastors that know the importance of being a musician in the church would not be happy to know that their Minstrels are playing secular music. Im just a lover of music and I think its OK to stretch your boundaries beyond the church walls. As long as its done in good taste and you keep God first and foremost. So, I'm expecting to see some interesting comments on this..........Stay blessed!!

Offline blacklw234

• LGM Member

Re: Gospel musicians playing secular music
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 04:21:24 AM »
I would say that this is one of those questions that the person in that situation would have to pray about. Because decisions and experiences we make and have,
Hello everyone. This is a touchy subject so I would like some feedback from you all. I want to know how you feel about Christian musicians playing in secular settings. A lot of musicians that I look up to play in both settings. I would love to one day support myself playing bass but I don't want to limit myself to just gospel music. Now rite there some of you may have a slight frown on your face. I'm not saying that I would play for the likes of the "2 live crew". I'm just saying that there is some nice clean music and artists in the secular world. In my opinion, as long as I take a stand on my beliefs and morals I would be comfortable playing other music. I feel if I carry my self correct in a secular setting I would allow the God In my life to shine with people that may never experience God in that type of setting. Think about it. If Marcus Miller or Victor Wooten called you out of the blue for a gig, would you really wanna pass up on that opportunity to play with them because your a Christian? I know that a lot of Pastors that know the importance of being a musician in the church would not be happy to know that their Minstrels are playing secular music. Im just a lover of music and I think its OK to stretch your boundaries beyond the church walls. As long as its done in good taste and you keep God first and foremost. So, I'm expecting to see some interesting comments on this..........Stay blessed!!
all develope who were are in Christ whether it is bad or good. So thats why I say, if you make the decision to play secular music, and it turns out to be an experience that was bad, then God will have a growing lesson in it. If it turns out to be an experience where you were able to let your light shine, then that is also a plus. I believe the decisions we make whether bad or good, will work out for our good. Bible says "all things work out for the good of those who love the Lord".

I play a LTD ESP C-305 Bass

Offline ddwilkins

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Arsenal!!!!
    • D'Wayne's Spot

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 07:48:21 AM »
I personally don't see a problem with playing secular music if you are not glorifying it. At all most all weddings, there is a secular love song played, in church, by a church musician. Is that wrong? And if this turns out to be your only source of income, you have to do what you have to do to provide for your family. I used to work a job where I would miss services on Sunday because I was providing for my family. Did I like it, No, but the bills had to be paid.
Keep God first and he'll do the rest!!!

Offline arthur59

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 07:53:13 AM »
Let me ask you this,is every one on your current job saved,sanctified,holy ghost filled and fire baptize.If you chose to work as a musician around secular people, and you love what you are doing and dont feel guilty about it,I would say go for it.If your a true christian your light should shine no matter where you work.
"Each One Teach One"

Offline superjaay

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • The Real Black Power Ranger

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 08:03:20 AM »
It's a tough call. I have a similiar issue. There are several members in family who are deacons at another local church that own and manage a nightclub/liquor store. I have personally had many questions over the years about the hypocrisy that could possibly represent. I still don't know the answer as to whether that's acceptable. I do believe that God know you heart and that's what is most important. If your spirit is uneasy with playing secular music, then that's God telling you not to do it. Christians won't feel at home doing wrong.
Rest?, Rest when you're dead!!! Right now there's work to be done.

Offline organman88

• LGM Member
    • Kue Musik Entertainment

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 08:22:13 AM »
Why when the word secular comes up it always relate to music. All secular means non religous, to some people being a musician is a job (you can treat a church gig as a job and also be a minstrel too) and 98% of people that have jobs they are not related to god so in that case working at burger king is secular the bible says if a man don't work he don't eat 

keyz 4 life

Offline ddwilkins

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Arsenal!!!!
    • D'Wayne's Spot

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 09:24:32 AM »
Why when the word secular comes up it always relate to music....

Good observation. I've seen that as well.
Keep God first and he'll do the rest!!!

Offline dhagler

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 09:52:34 AM »
I am going to take the position that I am not a "Gospel Musician" but rather a musician who plays Gospel music. I also play Jazz, R & B, Pop, and Rock (although Gospel music is primarily what I play when I play "out"). If I had the opportunity to play in a jazz combo I would. If I had the chance to play in a R & B or Pop/Rock group I would probably do that as well. Heavy metal or country? Probably not. :)

That said, if there was a particular SONG that I personally objected to playing I would probably not play the song.

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2009, 10:07:55 AM »
I see no problem with it. Of course you will have church people who will talk about you or try to put you down, but really its not their business. I know many of yall might disagree with that. :D  

IMO its a personal decision. If you dont wanna do it, then dont. but dont put others down who do.

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 11:01:55 AM »
It's a tough call. I have a similiar issue. There are several members in family who are deacons at another local church that own and manage a nightclub/liquor store. I have personally had many questions over the years about the hypocrisy that could possibly represent.

?/?

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2009, 12:33:25 PM »
It's a tough call. I have a similiar issue. There are several members in family who are deacons at another local church that own and manage a nightclub/liquor store. I have personally had many questions over the years about the hypocrisy that could possibly represent. I still don't know the answer as to whether that's acceptable. I do believe that God know you heart and that's what is most important. If your spirit is uneasy with playing secular music, then that's God telling you not to do it. Christians won't feel at home doing wrong.

people aren't going to like me for this, but I'll say it anyways.

Deacons running a liquor store aint nothing but the devil at work and they should NOT carry the title deacon.
Somebody put me in the key of E#

Offline superjaay

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • The Real Black Power Ranger

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2009, 12:39:44 PM »
Jeremyr I can appreciate your opinion. Is the problem you have with the fact that they are deacons, or that they are Christians?
Rest?, Rest when you're dead!!! Right now there's work to be done.

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2009, 01:47:36 PM »

Deacons running a liquor store aint nothing but the devil at work and they should NOT carry the title deacon.

Should Deacons be allowed to own restaurants that serve wine, beer or liquor?

Offline FenderJazzGuy

• LGM Member
    • Gospel Bass players and other musicians

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2009, 02:21:30 PM »
Well I agree that people dont care if your boss or co-workers are saved. They dont even care or investigate whether the owners of the company that they work for is a Christian. All of a sudden when they hear that their church musician is playing secular, they anit saved anymore. People are so quick to pass judgement on someone elses decisions. Eveyone should know the things that they as a Christian can handle. If you can't handle playing in a secular setting because you used to have a drinking problem, then don't push your issues on others. I have never had a problem with drinking so I don't get tempted around alcohol.

As far as the 'bar owning' deacon, It's not our problem to make him feel guilty. That's the Holy Spirit's job. If he really seeks God, he will change his job if that's his desire. We can't pass our convictions on others.

Offline BigFoot_BigThumb

• LGM Member
  • The Waves SSL 4000 plug-ins. The greatest EVER!!!

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2009, 04:20:57 PM »
I once worked for "the devil" for 4 years with Beelzebub as a supervisor the last two as a truck driver, so I doubt anything can top that music or not.

And as I have said the MANY times this topic has arisen on this site, yeah, I'll do a secular gig in a heartbeat as long as they don't worship the devil onstage.  I go in, play my music, disappear during the breaks, get my money(which is a blessing), break down my gear at the end, and go home.  I kept my head and my morals up in there so I have no guilt. 

I mean would playing for Stevie Wonder, Gladys Knight, or Barry Manilow be sinful?  I mean it is secular. 
When you've done your very best, do even better.

Offline Kelz-Da-Basshead

• LGM Member

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2009, 04:29:30 PM »
The Bible doesn't say drinking alcohol is a problem. The problem is when you drink in excess.  The bible does say remain sober. I dont drink but I feel drinking can be OK in moderation.  Its all about knowing yourself and knowing your limits. Its the same with playing secular music. You know what you can handle better than anyone else and is always a personal decision that you should pray on. As far as deacons owning liquor stores the Bible does hold you accountable for your actions if you do something you know could cause others to sin.
you got to hear numbers

Offline BassbyGrace

• LGM Member
  • striving

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2009, 05:11:58 PM »
I dont have the energy to go into another of these lol.  Yet, to address a lil bit:

As far as the 'bar owning' deacon, It's not our problem to make him feel guilty. That's the Holy Spirit's job. If he really seeks God, he will change his job if that's his desire. We can't pass our convictions on others.

You know what? sometimes it is our job.  Some ppl arent convicted by premarital sex or gossip, but is it not our job to address it?  A liquor store?  Seriously?  Mind you there are many Christians that dont have the Holy Ghost.  Just throwin that out there.
Praise Him!

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Member
  • The Jamaican breakfast patty created by me. :)
    • http://www.geocities.com/mysterymman1

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2009, 08:07:57 PM »

:D

I think it depends on what you are playing and the atmosphere. I personally if playing secular would rather it be weddings, special events, and the educational/arts type arenas for the most part. I wouldn't won't to play for artists promoting sin.
Vision without action is just day dreaming. I miss practicing.

Offline MikeGee

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My wife is over my right shoulder.
    • my out of church band

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2009, 08:17:02 PM »

I am gonna have to agree here.

A bass player on the praise team at church than going to someone's wedding reception and playing the bass line to "brick house" or "Get Ready" is different than being a deacon and owning a liquor store.

But this is just my 2 cents. I know it's worth no more than that.

Offline Torch7

• LGM Member
    • Gospel Bass Guitar Lessons Site

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2009, 09:07:49 PM »
The difference for me boils down to if you can be seperated from the action, or if the action doesn't cause another to stumble.

Like Jeremyr said, a Deacon owning a liquor store... that would definately cause some folks to stumble.

In the instance of playing music, you have to get more involved in the process than merely pushing buttons, or stocking a shelf, cutting grass, or other such occupations.  As a Software Engineer, at a company that is not Christian I can code all day, and when I leave the desk, I take nothing with me.  (And before someone says it, "Yes, I have turned down many projects because the product could be a stumbling block for others, and No I don't watch television shows, or read literature that is not beneficial for more.  Remember God is not a respector of persons, so if You wouldn't feel comfortable following a man of God who does said action, you should probably refrain from it as well.)

Playing music is a SPIRITUAL act, whether you guys want to acknowledge it or not.

So that the post is not only based on my opinion lets put some scripture to it.

Can a believer play secular music?  The answer in short is "YES"  But we have to ask ourselves is it beneficial to our Christian walk?  1 Corinthians 10:23 "All things are legitimate [permissible--and we are free to do anything we please], but not all things are helpful (expedient, profitable, and wholesome). All things are legitimate, but not all things are constructive [to character] and edifying [to spiritual life]." - Amplified
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15   Go Up