LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Gospel musicians playing secular music  (Read 32446 times)

Offline Torch7

• LGM Member
    • Gospel Bass Guitar Lessons Site

Re: Gospel musicians playing secular music
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2009, 09:12:39 PM »
Mind you there are many Christians that dont have the Holy Ghost.  Just throwin that out there.

Without opening a doctrinal can of worms, I would call that person a Christian ever so loosely, without the Spirit of God, this Christian walk is impossible.

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2009, 08:51:46 AM »
As far as the 'bar owning' deacon, It's not our problem to make him feel guilty. That's the Holy Spirit's job. If he really seeks God, he will change his job if that's his desire. We can't pass our convictions on others.
I don't think it's a matter of making someone feel guilty, but you NEED to call people out on stuff if you see it as detrimental to their walk with Christ.  Do you really want to be a judgment and see someone that you care about lost because you didn't take the time to confront them and bring the issues to the forefront so they could be dealt with?

I'd rather people hate me now and be my best friend when we make it through those pearly gates TOGETHER instead of me looking through the walls of the new Jerusalem seeing those people rise with the wicked dead.

Jeremyr I can appreciate your opinion. Is the problem you have with the fact that they are deacons, or that they are Christians?

Both. 

I am a believer that we as Christians have been instructed not to partake in "Strong drink". With that being said Alcohol is a DRUG (yes I said a drug) and the pushers of Alcohol are no different IMHO than a drug pusher.

People die because of the stuff, they loose families because of the stuff, and they kill others because of the stuff, and they abuse one another because of the stuff.

Do we really think God wants us drinking things that cause disease (liver issues) as ages us?  He has told us that our bodies are his temple and that's no way to treat a temple IMHO. Anything that has these ill effects cannot be "taken in moderation". Here's what the wisest man in the world EVER had to say about it.

Proverbs 20:1 "Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise."

Should Deacons be allowed to own restaurants that serve wine, beer or liquor?

I don't think ANY christian regardless of title in the church should own a restaurant that serves wine.We have been called to be set apart from the rest of the world.
Somebody put me in the key of E#

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2009, 09:38:01 AM »

People die because of the stuff, they loose families because of the stuff, and they kill others because of the stuff, and they abuse one another because of the stuff.

Do we really think God wants us drinking things that cause disease (liver issues) as ages us?  He has told us that our bodies are his temple and that's no way to treat a temple IMHO. Anything that has these ill effects cannot be "taken in moderation". Here's what the wisest man in the world EVER had to say about it.

Proverbs 20:1 "Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise."

I don't think ANY christian regardless of title in the church should own a restaurant that serves wine.We have been called to be set apart from the rest of the world.

So is it not possible to drink wine and not be deceived by it?

as for the bolded, why cant it be taken in moderation? Not everybody is an alcoholic. To me thats like saying "christians should not eat fried chicken, because it causes high blood pressure and other illness"

so obviously I have to disagree with you.

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2009, 10:06:31 AM »
So is it not possible to drink wine and not be deceived by it?

as for the bolded, why cant it be taken in moderation? Not everybody is an alcoholic. To me thats like saying "christians should not eat fried chicken, because it causes high blood pressure and other illness"

so obviously I have to disagree with you.

I think that by drinking wine and believing that the little bit you drank isn't a problem is you already being deceived by it.

If it's not good for you, you shouldn't eat or drink it. period. 

And I don't believe that we should be eating fried chicken.  Look how many of us black folks are getting diabetes and high cholesterol from that mess.  Just because you're ok in the short term doesn't mean that you're OK in the long term. The same goes with alcohol.  You're system could be more susceptible than others and the couple of drinks you have a year can give you liver disease in 5 years, which otherwise probably could have been avoided had you not have partaken in it.

God gave man a diet from the get go and all this additional mess we're eating and drinking is killing us off.  I have a theory that all this cancer and mess didn't start coming along until people started mixing up all these concoctions of foods and chemicals all in order to make a dollar and make the food last longer.

Yes I am guilty of fried chicken though from time to time :'( :'( (Yall pray for a brotha because good friend chicken is on POINT!). Lord KNOWS i've had a hard time giving up that good baked macaroni & cheese.  My point isn't just against alcohol though.  It's against ALL things that harm your body.

I mean do we really think we'll be in heaven eating fried chicken legs and drinking some Smirnoff..LOL!!!

Offline Kelz-Da-Basshead

• LGM Member

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2009, 10:15:17 AM »
you cant take my baked macaroni and cheese from me. I wont let you. Its mine!!!!!!!!!!
you got to hear numbers

Offline ddwilkins

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Arsenal!!!!
    • D'Wayne's Spot

« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2009, 10:20:24 AM »
Although i don't drink alcohol, I sure steam my shrimp with it though, along with some butter, old bay seasoning, and dried herbs. ;D ;D ;D For the ones who don't cook, the alcohol gets cooked off, so just flavor is left, not the alcohol. I will say this though, for medicinal purposes, alcohol does have some good qualities. My great grandmother lived to be in her 90s and had a shot of alcohol a day. She said it kept her body cleaned out. Right now in my cabinet is a mixture of moonshine, honey and grapes that my wife's grandmother gave to us to use as cough syrup. That stuff really works. One table spoon before going to bed, and when you wake up, you're not coughing anymore.
Keep God first and he'll do the rest!!!

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2009, 10:40:18 AM »
hat stuff really works. One table spoon before going to bed, and when you wake up, you're not coughing anymore.

ROFL!!!!!!! That's because that joker done burnt all your insides up from being so potent.

I kid I kid..lol!

Offline ddwilkins

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Arsenal!!!!
    • D'Wayne's Spot

« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2009, 10:44:18 AM »
ROFL!!!!!!! That's because that joker done burnt all your insides up from being so potent.

I kid I kid..lol!

You're right. It put hairs on your chest as it goes down!!!!!1 ;D ;D Have you heard about pouring some over an open wound to clean it like rubbing alcohol?

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2009, 11:13:49 AM »
No fried chicken? then what folks supposed to do after church? Doesnt it say "forgetting not to assemble yourself and afterward partake in the fried chicken with thanksgiving?"....wait a minute, i think i might have some of that wrong. lol.

And I don't believe that we should be eating fried chicken.  Look how many of us black folks are getting diabetes and high cholesterol from that mess.  Just because you're ok in the short term doesn't mean that you're OK in the long term......Yes I am guilty of fried chicken though from time to time :'( :'( (Yall pray for a brotha because good friend chicken is on POINT!). Lord KNOWS i've had a hard time giving up that good baked macaroni & cheese.  My point isn't just against alcohol though.  It's against ALL things that harm your body.

I dont think its really food itself that leads to diabetes and high cholesterol, its the excess of such. and while i shouldnt have to come up on the altar with a plate of food, i should come to the altar with the burden of excess. and a very high percentage of those people with those diseases dont exercise regularly at all. So sometimes instead of always saying "dont eat that" we should say "get off ur butt".

as for alcohol, i cant make any logical deductions or conclusions like i do with every other matter. dealing with my father and uncle and hearing the stories of my grandfather dealing with alcohol, im completely biased about it. so regardless of who owns the liquor store, i dont think it should even be open.

I don't think it's a matter of making someone feel guilty, but you NEED to call people out on stuff if you see it as detrimental to their walk with Christ.
also jeremy, sometimes we need to address it, but i think thats where most of us christians get it wrong, because we dont always know the proper way to do that. a lot of times the accusing, condemning approach isnt always right. often the best way to get people to change is to help them understand why they should, instead of just telling them they need to.

so the answer to this whole question: Playing secular music in a liquor store while eating fried chicken is a definite NO NO!!!
For my God... let "Golden Axe" prevail.

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2009, 11:23:01 AM »

so the answer to this whole question: Playing secular music in a liquor store while eating fried chicken is a definite NO NO!!!
LOL!

Back onto the topic of secular music I think you have to know what are your boundaries are as mentioned earlier.

HOWEVER playing for some "gospel" artist can be just as bad as a bad secular artist if the spirit isn't right, so just because they're singing "church" songs doesn't mean you're in a good position.

I would play in a neo soul band if it weren't promoting devilish acts through the lyrics of the motive behind the music.

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2009, 11:24:41 AM »

I would play in a neo soul band if it weren't promoting devilish acts through the lyrics of the motive behind the music.

I thought thats what we were talkin about! Whats the big fuss! :D

Offline FenderJazzGuy

• LGM Member
    • Gospel Bass players and other musicians

« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2009, 12:41:49 PM »
I don't think it's a matter of making someone feel guilty, but you NEED to call people out on stuff if you see it as detrimental to their walk with Christ.  Do you really want to be a judgment and see someone that you care about lost because you didn't take the time to confront them and bring the issues to the forefront so they could be dealt with?

I feel it is our job to just give people JESUS. Its not our job to be on a mission to clean people up. The Holy Ghost is a revealer. We can push people away always telling them that they are doing everything wrong. Yes, it's good to help people not go down the wrong path but if they truly have a heart after God then the Holy Spirit will convict them in the areas that need correcting. Its kinda funny because If a Bum comes into some churches, they will be more concerned in telling him to stop drinking instead of giving him JESUS. WE are supposed to go around giving the GOOD NEWS. The good news is not about condemning people for not living like I live.

Speaking of alcohol, Nyquil has more alcohol in it that some wine. I don't hear anyone preaching you will go to hell for taking it. YES its for medicinal purposes but it STILL contains sinful alcohol right? Im so glad that when judgement day comes for me, I won't have to stand before anyone on this earth. God is the only and final judge. I respect everyone's opinion but don't put your issues on others. There is no scripture that says "If you drink ANY type of alcohol you will go straight to hell". Please don't take my sense of humor against me. I love all yall and this is just a discussion over personal opinion.

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2009, 01:06:06 PM »
I feel it is our job to just give people JESUS. Its not our job to be on a mission to clean people up. The Holy Ghost is a revealer. We can push people away always telling them that they are doing everything wrong. Yes, it's good to help people not go down the wrong path but if they truly have a heart after God then the Holy Spirit will convict them in the areas that need correcting. Its kinda funny because If a Bum comes into some churches, they will be more concerned in telling him to stop drinking instead of giving him JESUS. WE are supposed to go around giving the GOOD NEWS. The good news is not about condemning people for not living like I live.

Speaking of alcohol, Nyquil has more alcohol in it that some wine. I don't hear anyone preaching you will go to hell for taking it. YES its for medicinal purposes but it STILL contains sinful alcohol right? Im so glad that when judgement day comes for me, I won't have to stand before anyone on this earth. God is the only and final judge. I respect everyone's opinion but don't put your issues on others. There is no scripture that says "If you drink ANY type of alcohol you will go straight to hell". Please don't take my sense of humor against me. I love all yall and this is just a discussion over personal opinion.

This is the best post I've read all year. We are saved by Faith, not by works. There will surely be some who were alcoholics in heaven, and some of the people that "lived right" wont be there because they did not know Jesus as their personal savior.

Offline FenderJazzGuy

• LGM Member
    • Gospel Bass players and other musicians

« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2009, 01:21:50 PM »
Under, you are preaching now! We really don't know WHO will make it in. The most holy person in our own eyes may very well break the gates of hell WIDE open. All I can say is THANK GOD FOR GRACE AND MERCIES!!!!

Offline ddwilkins

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Arsenal!!!!
    • D'Wayne's Spot

« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2009, 01:46:52 PM »
"Your grace and mercy, brought me through..." senior choir betta sang!!! ;D

Offline dhagler

• LGM Member

« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2009, 02:00:52 PM »
OK, I've sat on the sidelines long enough.  :)

My grandmother used to say, "Every wash tub has to sit on its own bottom." None of us truly know who will make it in, and who won't. To be frank, we don't even know if WE will make it. Such is the nature of living a faith-based life: we beleive, and we act in a manner consistent with our beliefs.

When we see someone doing something wrong, and the action is directly against us, I think it is in order to address that wrong with the person.

When we see someone doing wrong, and the action is not directly against us, I think it is more appropriate to pray for that person while we are praying for our own salvation. "Judge not, lest ye also be judged."

As for food and drink (alcoholic and otherwise), the Bible and medical science both teach us that moderation is the key. Good health is a lifestyle choice consisting of diet and exercise.

When you begin to talk about people's occupations that is a slippery slope. I personally would not work for RJReynolds because I strongly oppose smoking, I probably wouldn't work for Anheiser Busch either even though I am not opposed to drinking beer (in moderation). At the same time, I don't have a very high opinion of pawn shops, check cashing places, and strip clubs either. But everybody who works in a strip club is not an exotic dancer so do you condemn the waitress, the security guard, or the cook in the kitchen? And the owners of such establishments are helping the community by employing people who might otherwise be doing other illegal or immoral things to earn a living.

As for the question that started it all, here is a repost of my answer: I am going to take the position that I am not a "Gospel Musician" but rather a musician who plays Gospel music. I also play Jazz, R & B, Pop, and Rock (although Gospel music is primarily what I play when I play "out"). If I had the opportunity to play in a jazz combo I would. If I had the chance to play in a R & B or Pop/Rock group I would probably do that as well. Heavy metal or country? Probably not.

That said, if there was a particular SONG that I personally objected to playing I would probably not play the song. "Adore" by Prince? Yes. "Erotic City" by Prince? Probably not.

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2009, 02:09:20 PM »
"Your grace and mercy, brought me through..." senior choir betta sang!!! ;D
hey, somebody put their fried chicken down and pick them up in Ab. lol. No, you cant use my bass, i dont want no grease on my strings. lol.

but seriously what happened to being "living epistles read by men" and "iron sharpening iron"? I think sometimes christians operate on 2 extremes. Either they point out everything you do wrong and condemn u to hell, or they dont say nothin and let everything slide. So when someone first accepts Jesus, do we make them feel like they got a first class ticket to hell, or do we let them do whatever they want and say the Holy Spirit will straighten it out? I thought our job was to teach others once we are enlightened, or at least be an example. Didnt some changes we made happen because we were taught, or did everyone receive visitation from the Holy Spirit about everything from Day 1?

For my God... let "Golden Axe" prevail.

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2009, 02:34:47 PM »

That said, if there was a particular SONG that I personally objected to playing I would probably not play the song. "Adore" by Prince? Yes. "Erotic City" by Prince? Probably not.

What about "Do Me Baby"? :D

Offline DWBass

• LGM Member
  • Make A Joyful Noise!

« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2009, 02:56:23 PM »

Amen!
"Never Leave Home Without Your Groove On" :)

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2009, 03:54:33 PM »

I'm not taking it personal doc!  It's good to have a good medium for conversation.

With that being said I don't believe that you keep making someone aware of the situation that you know is there, HOWEVER I do think that you need to speak with them once about it in a way that doesn't come off as saying "you're going to hell".

In the case of the deacons running a liquor store I definitely would've said something to each and every last one of them in private in a loving way and then I would've left the rest up to prayer.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15   Go Up